Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
hogginhank
Junior

Texan with some questions??

This is a pretty cool site. I've been lurking here since the begining of last week. I was recently in Jamul CA visiting my buddy Jason that I grew up with in Texas. He lives in your neck of the woods now..He introduced me to kayak fishing for the first time from May 2nd through the 5th. We went out offshore at La Jolla in his 2 malibu yaks and it was a really different experience. I am a big offshore fisherman here in the Gulf Of Mexico but I have never been in a kayak that far offshore :shock: .. You guys are damn crazy if you ask me.. I am hooked big time after just a few days on the water..We did not land anything big though we got 2 hook ups in the kelp that almost spooled us and then broke us off. I wish we had sprectra on those reels. #40 mono didn't hold up but for 10 minutes or so. We were using large dead mackeral on 16/0 circle hooks trying for sharks.. My buddy scored a #12 Sheephead and we learned the "ART" of finding and catching bait with the Sabiki's..I am back in Texas now and really wishing I would have hooked up with a Shark while I was there. Maybe next time. I saw a couple of folks that are on these boards. I spoke with a fella named Paul on a Hobie Paddle Yak (orange I think??) He was a huge help in asnwering NEWBIE questions while out on the water. Another fella that had a grey Malibu yak that had a face mask on?? He also answered all 227 of my questions I threw at him while we put our kayaks up on the rack.. I had a sweet time there in Cali and learned a whole new way of saltwater fishing and have a lot of respect for those of you that fish from those somewhat smallish crafts. Hats off to you folks. I hope to come back there soon and try for one of those wicked looking threshers or maybe one of those WSB's or yellowtails.. Thanks for the awesome message board ya'll have and thatnks to those that I talked to that gave me some priceless info on fishing in La Jolla.. Ya'll rock.. Adios' for now.. I hope ya'll won't mind a few newbie questions here and there so I can get my bud squared away on fishing out there of La Jolla. He is not a very big internet kind of guy so I will learn from you folks and pass on the knoweldge.. Thanks again for a really sweet message board..
Old 05-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there is an excellent site for Kayak fishermen in your part of the country; TexasKayakFisherman.com

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/portal.php

There is lots of great local knowledge on this site. Check it out
Old 05-09-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
hogginhank
Junior

I just registered on that site last night. It seems to be pretty active. Thanks for the link..
Old 05-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
bluesquids

We don't take kindly to you Texans fishing our waters. Nah... just kidding wit-cha, nice meeting you Hank. Must be nice to take a week off and fish everyday. Hope to fish with ya next time you're out. Best, Pete.