Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
doggmann
Junior

Corona Del Mar 5/12

Went out to the kelp beds in Corona Del Mar I got out at dawn, skipped the bait and started working the kelp with a 5" Calico Hunter swim bait. 3 sand bass for the day. Later I switched to a camo gulp grub and jigged it off the bottom and caught tree healthy sulpin all at 12". I'm guessing the Garibaldi are spawning since I caught three while jiggin on the bottom (all released).

Saw a handful of dolphins and a juvy gray whale 50 yards away. Weather was perfect... light breeze and small swells in the afternoon.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Fished it from 5:30 to dark............little lumpy out there. Made a greenback and trolled to Pelican Point and back por nada. Saw some marks in the lower third of the screen that sure looked like WSB.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
PE.rider

Those swells make me woozy just looking at em... Definitely not something I'd want to be in after having biscuits with gravy or creamed-chipped beef .

On the other hand, I still believe the ghosts are out there .

Thanks for the report gentleman.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
rieffer

CDM 5/14

Hit the kelps near pelican point. Fishing with the plastics and the waxwing and got bit all through the water column all day. Thank god for the mirage drive in that wind. Wound up catching about 12 calicos and sandies. One calico was pushing 5#.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Honcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rieffer View Post
Hit the kelps near pelican point. Fishing with the plastics and the waxwing and got bit all through the water column all day. Thank god for the mirage drive in that wind. Wound up catching about 12 calicos and sandies. One calico was pushing 5#.
How did you rig the waxwing?
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
rieffer

straight to 50# power pro with uni. 8' Teramar with currado 300. tight to edge and over the kelp.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Fished it from 5:30 to dark............little lumpy out there. Made a greenback and trolled to Pelican Point and back por nada. Saw some marks in the lower third of the screen that sure looked like WSB.

if anyone will find a WSB off CDM/Crystal Cove it will be andy xD. I must have tried over a dozen times last year in all areas of the water collumn. Bottom, mid, upper, surface; jigs, dines, macs, squid for nada hah.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote