Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
Is there a particular reason why I'd want to get the PA12 instead of the 14 if I go that way?

And ful-rac, curious, why would I want to think about loading the 14 on top of my truck instead of just sliding it into the bed? The bed extender wouldn't support it adequately?
Bed extender will work just fine, but if you ever want to take trips or go camping or carry multiple kayaks the rack is the way to go....it would be nice to have the full storage area of your bed to use.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I say that if your gonna get a PA get the full size PA...otherwise get the outback. I know they're are a lot of happy PA12 owners out there...but I can tell you that there are plenty of former PA12 owners that wished they bought the 14 after the fact.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
tsugg
LOWSPARK

roof RAC

Tony I'm waiting for a shell for my truck as we speak. The truck bed with the extender is fine for a one day trip but for the reasons you mensioned I feel the same. I want to go to baja or morro bay and need the bed of the truck with the sheel for camping grear.
That being said, I'm a little apprehensive about the whole process of getting my PA up and down. The shell comes with Yakima racks installed, do you use any of the rack assistors(besides Jorge) that are for sale to get your PA up or down by yourself?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Bed extender will work just fine, but if you ever want to take trips or go camping or carry multiple kayaks the rack is the way to go....it would be nice to have the full storage area of your bed to use.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
5-20

Cool, yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. If I go with a PA, just stick with the 14 unless I found a killer deal on a 12 I couldn't turn down.

Thanks for the tip about sticking to the 2013 and up models. I just saw some stuff about how there's a defect with the 2014 mirage drive or something like that? Is that an easy fix? Is that covered under a recall or anything like that?

Yeah, totally understand the thing about loading the yak on top of the truck for long trips. I'll worry about that later. I would prefer to have the yak in the bed of the truck most of the time tho. Seems like all of that saltwater/sand dripping down from the yak can do a pretty good job on your roof...
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
That being said, I'm a little apprehensive about the whole process of getting my PA up and down. The shell comes with Yakima racks installed, do you use any of the rack assistors(besides Jorge) that are for sale to get your PA up or down by yourself?

Thanks
No, I do it by myself, it's not as hard as you might think. Just lift half the kayak at a time and it's a piece of cake. Get the nose of the kayak up onto the crossbar, lift the rear and slide it up. Reverse to get it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
Cool, yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. If I go with a PA, just stick with the 14 unless I found a killer deal on a 12 I couldn't turn down.

Thanks for the tip about sticking to the 2013 and up models. I just saw some stuff about how there's a defect with the 2014 mirage drive or something like that? Is that an easy fix? Is that covered under a recall or anything like that?

Yeah, totally understand the thing about loading the yak on top of the truck for long trips. I'll worry about that later. I would prefer to have the yak in the bed of the truck most of the time tho. Seems like all of that saltwater/sand dripping down from the yak can do a pretty good job on your roof...
If you go with a 2013 model, make sure that it is a late model and has a vantage seat, I know there are a few out there, and be sure to check it it has the lowrance ready transducer slot.