Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Braid Education 101

I have never fished with braid before and after doing some reasearch on the matter I would like to try it out. I bought the new Daiwa Seagate for this; which bring me to my dilemma....Do I use 40 or 50#? This reel will be attached to a Calstar 800M wich will be for YT and WSB.

I want to use a 40# floro leader...is this overkill? Should I go with a mono leader instead? And I guess the most important question is: Which knot is best to tie leader to braid? Uni to Uni, Reverse Albright, or the Yucatan (simpler visually for me) but never used any of them.

Thanks,
Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0611[1].jpg (39.1 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0607[1].jpg (36.5 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0608[1].jpg (31.2 KB, 418 views)
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

I just got a 30, I took the free BPS spool of mono for now, I think 50# braid and a 30/40# top shot of flouro will be nice as I have this combo on a Saltist 20, same as the Sea gate, great set up for everything from bass to butts...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Fiskadoro

Your Seagate will hold something like 600+ Yards of 50# spectra.

You either want to back it with mono then run spectra and a topshot, or kick it up to 65# spectra. Since your not familiar with spectra I'd suggest 300 yards 65# spectra with a 40# fluoro topshot, with enough mono under the spectra as backing to get the reel full.

300yds won't cost that much and 65# is easier to fish if your not used to spectra.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
300yds won't cost that much and 65# is easier to fish if your not used to spectra.

Jim
Jim,

could you explain why it would be 'easier' to fish?

Might as well go big with th 65#
Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

spectra is wonderful until a backlash...65# easier to untangle...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
tagyak

i have 65# spectra on my reels. the story that was told to me was it is easier to cast with less back lash. also it is very comforting to know that it will take alot of fish to bust my line.
i use a modified albright to attach my fluorocarbon leader. wrap it 12x down and 12x up. my local tackle shop told me to apply wax, (bees or lip balm) it will allow for the line to pull tightly easily.
how do you like that reel?
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
Jim,

could you explain why it would be 'easier' to fish?

Might as well go big with th 65#
It's a thicker diameter so it feels more like normal line, easier to tie and it is easier to untangle.

Jim
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
It's a thicker diameter so it feels more like normal line, easier to tie and it is easier to untangle.

Jim
Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
i have 65# spectra on my reels. the story that was told to me was it is easier to cast with less back lash. also it is very comforting to know that it will take alot of fish to bust my line.
i use a modified albright to attach my fluorocarbon leader. wrap it 12x down and 12x up. my local tackle shop told me to apply wax, (bees or lip balm) it will allow for the line to pull tightly easily.
how do you like that reel?
I will try the albright with the wax. I wonder if the yucatan knot is just as good? Thank's for the tip!

I love the reels functionality. It's just like my SHA 40; except it accepts braid, it's quieter (no clicking on the turn), and it's $60 cheapter than the Saltist Black Gold that I was going to get (the only differeance of 1 more CRBB).
Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
mike m
Junior

I have had good luck with uniknots with braid. You can connect it to your leader using a uni to uni connection , Not as elegant as using hollow ace, but it works. I have never experienced a failure at the connection using the uni to uni.
mike m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
oneyedeer

my reels spooled with both 50 and 65 spectre 20-40 flouro leader tied with albright special.....brand i prefer is powerpro or izoline don't throw your money away on other brands. Daiwa is same quality but your paying more money for it. Spiderwire is crap. Colors whites and yellows when there is a need to see where your line is. If it doesnt matter the moss or red. my 2cent
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
eertkao
Steve-O.

I have a question about the mono backing to fill up the spool before putting spectra on top:

how often does that backing need to be changed? or can you keep that on there (underneath) the spectra for a long time?

Also, does the 20# to 40# fluoro need to be replaced often or can that also be "reused" so long as there aren't any kinks?

Thanks guys
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eertkao View Post
I have a question about the mono backing to fill up the spool before putting spectra on top:

how often does that backing need to be changed? or can you keep that on there (underneath) the spectra for a long time?

Also, does the 20# to 40# fluoro need to be replaced often or can that also be "reused" so long as there aren't any kinks?

Thanks guys
About the backing.....I would say not for a very long time. Spectra lasts for years. How much leader are you using? If it's under 5 feet, then change it out every time you hit the water. If you have 100 feet, then just keep an eye out for fraying. IMO.

I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
About the backing.....

I like to put 300yards minimum of spectra on my reels, so I'm almost never in the backing that said I've been playing with 100 pound Chinese Dyneema Braid for backing. Dirt cheap, works and doesn't age like Mono. The only issue I have found is it's got low knot strength so I always use heavier test then I would with Mono or normal spectra.

Jim
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
eertkao
Steve-O.

Ok, yeah I got the part where the spectra lasts a long time, but what I was referring to was the mono that goes underneath the spectra. Does that mono need to be replaced often? If so, can I reuse the spectra that went on top of the mono?

Thanks for the help and let me know if that made sense or not