Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
zenspearo

SMOKE AND MIRROR: KEN WISEMAN "BACKED OFF" ON EXTERNAL C?

Let's take stock team. The initial impression ain't what it seems.

Okay, just got off the phone. It's been a nut house. I had to cut off one RSG member (sorry dude...)so I can go and take a leak--it's been a 3 coffee-pot morning.

Phone now on no-disturb so I can type this out.

My first pass, putting on my five-cent lawyer hat and having a few minutes in between calls to look at this, is that the change is a mere change in form and not substance. Chris Fiero independently came up with the same conclusion.

"A Round 3 process may include suggestion by the BRTF of which proposals SCRSG members may use as a starting place for Round 3 negotiations or identification of very similar proposals that should logically be merged."

"Encourage SCRSG members to draw on all of the MPA ideas to date to develop their Round 3 MPA proposals, including borrowing and incorporating ideas from external proposals as useful and appropriate."

Analysis: What they are saying is that all the work, all the hard-fought compromises had resulted in something the enviro side didn't like. The in-your-face approach of including External C going forward backfired. They are trying the back-door approach of changing the rules on the RSG. Now, the ideas of External C, including the possibility of the BRTF requiring that External C as the starting place for Round 3 negotiations, are there.

Why the f&ck did the RSG do all the work and compromise in round 2 for if they are now required to go back and rehash on the ones they rejected. This guts the whole notion of "winnowing" the proposals if the powers-that-be can tell the participants to consider the ideas in the rejected proposals after the rejected proposal was voted out. This wiped out any gain our consumptive RSGs made but forced them to live with any compromise they gave up on to get to consensus in their gem group.

The starting line now is the compromised maps (which our consumptive RSGs gave up some here and there to get to concensus) and THE IDEAS of the extreme map (e.g., External C). Not explicit External C map, but all of its ideas are now put back in the process. In other words, the enviros didn't compromise on their External C. It's still brutally oppressive for consumptives. And its concepts are allowed to move forward. Look at the external C map. That means the concept of a huge closure off La Jolla, off Point Loma, off the entire Laguna/OC coast, off the most used reefs in the Santa Barbara area, of huge swaths of the islands, are now back in consideration and the RSGs must deal with them again. I'd be dancing if I were on the enviro side--money DOES buy everything.

By the way, this is a huge change in operating procedure and the whole RSG is in chaos. I've spoken to a few after this, and they are in confusion. Not because they are not smart but because they are being gamed again, and the rules are shifting--WTF are the ground rules now?

And don't ignore the obvious slamming of the consumptives for "block voting" and intimidation. What a crock of sh$t. That will be their rally cry going into the third round.

Bottomline: This is still smoke and mirror. They are backing off the in-your-face approach and trying the cutesy backdoor approach to sneak the ideas and concepts of the rejected External C back in.

Some RSGs feel this is even more insidious. Either way, it wiped out their work in the previous round.

Stay tuned. We are revising strategy to deal with this. But you must go still and point out the problems. They hope this will take the wind out of our sail. One RSG member pointedly say that you guys (the rank-and-file fishermen and spearos gearing up and the prospect of hundreds of angry fishermen showing up to hammer the point home) forced their hands. They are counting on us being stupid not to see it. Smack 'em. See you Thursday.

Last edited by zenspearo; 06-02-2009 at 12:05 PM.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Dan

standing by....thanks for the update. wow.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Everyone, keep those pitchforks ready (figuratively only!) Everyone who has planned to attend on Thursday, still very much needs too!!!

Quote:
We are revising strategy to deal with this. But you must go still and point out the problems. They hope this will take the wind out of our sail. One RSG member pointedly say that you guys (the rank-and-file fishermen and spearos gearing up and the prospect of hundreds of angry fishermen showing up to hammer the point home) forced their hands. They are counting on us being stupid not to see it. Smack 'em. See you Thursday.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
zenspearo

YES, WE MUST GO TO THE MEETING ON THE 4TH.

Please please please hammer in about how underhanded and insidious it is to keep the ideas of the rejected proposal C in after it has been soundly rejected. Point out that this is smoke-and-mirror. All they did was avoid mentioning External C by name going forward, but still shove all the ideas of that polarizing and oppressive proposal C down the RSG's throat after the RSGs voted to reject it.

Don't let them play you for stupid and hope this will take the wind out of our sail That's what they are hoping for. Nothing changed except a little smoke-and-mirror trick.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Thanks again Joe. Is there any public press release on this one so we can read the official story?

We have to show up, period. No matter what they say, no matter what they do. Show your displeasure when they make a mistake, applaud them when they make a move you agree with.

If you cannot show up, due to extreme cases like your house is on fire, submit written comments. Written word is cheap. Donating money is cheap. They can ignore letters, emails, and petitions. Donating to pro fishing organizations must help but...They can't ignore 300 people giving public comment as that will disrupt their personal time and the meeting. Showing up is what really gets noticed. Give your time. It is most valuable. You can always make more money or copy paste and email another form letter from the comfort of your home. Show up to their (figurative) home, the meeting and be noticed.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
zenspearo

Oh crap--another gotcha.

I read it again and how did it escape me???

The memo is addressed from Ken Wiseman to the BRTF, and he couched it as a proposal.

All the "backing off" talk was couched as "Recommendation from the I-team" to the BRTF.

I missed the fact that this was NOT a memo from Ken Wiseman to the RSG members. It's a very subtle sleight-of-hand. It's a PROPOSAL from Ken Wiseman to the Blue Ribbon Task Force.

"To: MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force"
"Proposals for Round 2 Evaluation"
"MLPA Initiative Staff makes the following recommendation"

I consulted with a few others, and they all went--oh crap.

What this means:

The BRTF will take this as a recommendation, and they will debate it and either accept or reject it.

If the BRTF rejects Ken Wiseman's latest back-pedaling, we consumptives are in the crapper--External C lives on as a viable enviro take-it-all proposal despite being voted out.

If the BRTF accepts Ken Wiseman's latest back-pedaling, we consumptives are still in the crapper--External C Ideas live on, and the enviros still got their way of getting the concepts of closing all significant fishing spots off La Jolla, Point Loma, Laguna/OC, Malibu, PV, Santa Barbara, the islands into the next round even though their proposal was voted off.

Heads I win, tails you lose.

We need to go to the meeting people. Thursday June 4th 2009.

The gaming is getting more sophisticated and insidious, but they haven't really let up. They are counting on your stupidity and complacency.

Now it's the old used car sales man trick "let me check with my sales manager, but we are giving you a special deal today."

Show them we are on it!!!

Last edited by zenspearo; 06-02-2009 at 01:32 PM.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Smoke and mirrors, double speak, hmmm...... I personally can't wait to have a friendly comment session with Mr. Wiseman.

I'm gonna be so vocal I won't even need the mic....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Smoke and mirrors, double speak, hmmm...... I personally can't wait to have a friendly comment session with Mr. Wiseman.

I'm gonna be so vocal I won't even need the mic....
Martin, remember we need to be passionate, yet courteous, and appropriate!

I know you know that, but just want to remind everyone speaking to not make a spectacle, keep it together.

Believe me, I'd like to get up there, and rip em a new one but probably best to follow Joe (Zen's) recommendations. This is no secret, but he does this kinda stuff for a living.

Quote:
Please please please hammer in about how underhanded and insidious it is to keep the ideas of the rejected proposal C in after it has been soundly rejected. Point out that this is smoke-and-mirror. All they did was avoid mentioning External C by name going forward, but still shove all the ideas of that polarizing and oppressive proposal C down the RSG's throat after the RSGs voted to reject it.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
zenspearo

I strongly recommend that we stay the course of being courteous, professional, and matter-of-fact.

As much as I and many people here WANT to blow off some steam at the incredible amount of frustration at this gaming, and as much as I want to give a bunch of people a verbal dress down that will make a seasoned Navyman blush, I realize this is what they are trying to goad us to do.

That is so effing tempting, you have no idea.

BUT KNOW THIS, fishermen.

There are plenty of enviros waiting in the wing to score points when we lose our composure. They will paint fishermen as crazies, and that will further their cries that they have been bullied in this process.

That process has already begun. They are laying the groundwork waiting for us to step in that trap.

Despite the fact that their enviro$$$ daddy pays for this whole process and they have been getting their way from the I-team, and despite the fact that the BRTF is full of enviro-influence, a serious attempt is made to paint themselves as the underdog, being outnumbered and intimidated by fishermen. You can see it in their crying foul about External C.

While we know nothing is further from the truth--we are the underfunded underdogs, and we've been winning on scrappiness and brain, they are trying to marginalize the effective participation of fishermen. This is their last ditch effort--undermine the one group they can't buy off or bully.

Remember that in the civil rights movement of 1960's, against a biased government and apathetic public, the radical Black Panther and Muslim Nation may appeal to some, but they are the ones that get marginalized and crushed by the machinery.

The disciplined, articulate, persistent effort brought results. Discipline is the key.

Don't act like a bunch of amateurs. Exercise your fire discipline everyone. Function as a well-oiled machine--we are more formidable that way. Don't do anything that undermine our RSGs.

This game is played/gamed at a higher level and we've got a solid position but let's not play into their hands and snatch defeat from the jaw of victory.

Summary: No picketing, no outbursts, practice your well-placed shots and fire discipline in your speaking. Deliver professional, well-thought out, and devastating points in your advocacy.

Take this battle to them in a disciplined, professional, matter-of-fact manner--that's what has been winning, and that's what we continue with.

Don't get goaded into losing our high ground.

Thanks guys and good luck on June 4th.

P.S. For you enviro lurkers, my analogies are made figuratively. I do not advocate, and abhor, the notion that actual violence is used in this process. No intent is made to suggest it so eff off.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Billy V

Once again I am calling for every Big Water's Edge Member to Show Up at this Meeting.

It must set the stage, and stand as the example that We Are Not Going to Take It.

Stand up for yourself and Speak Out. Every Man, Woman, and Child Counts here.

Our Membership is Listed as 2527 members. Where are YOU ?
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post

I know you know that, but just want to remind everyone speaking to not make a spectacle, keep it together.

Believe me, I'd like to get up there, and rip em a new one but probably best to follow Joe (Zen's) recommendations. This is no secret, but he does this kinda stuff for a living.
I think what Chris is trying to say is I have legal training. But I don't do fishery law stuff. And I sure am not paid in this effort. It's all volunteer, like everyone else.

Actually, here's a funny story.

A boat owner contacted me and wanted me to represent his fishing business. I told him I don't do fishery law and he went "You are a lawyer, ain't you?" I told him to think of doctors. They all went to medical school but you wouldn't want your proctologist to work on your brain tumor.

I think he got the point...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
It was meant metaphorically...

Point meant to be conveyed was that we need to be heard, to let them know that we will not tolerate this without voicing our opposition.

Angler lingo...bait and switch.
Magician lingo...smoke and mirrors
Politician lingo...double speak

Playground lingo...I'm taking my ball and going home...

Any way you look at it, the whole process is based on the above interpretations...they want nothing to stand in their way.

We need to be heard, and now is our time.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post
I think what Chris is trying to say is I have legal training. But I don't do fishery law stuff. And I sure am not paid in this effort. It's all volunteer, like everyone else.

Actually, here's a funny story.

A boat owner contacted me and wanted me to represent his fishing business. I told him I don't do fishery law and he went "You are a lawyer, ain't you?" I told him to think of doctors. They all went to medical school but you wouldn't want your proctologist to work on your brain tumor.

I think he got the point...
Yes, that is what I meant, so don't go to Joe for Fishery law, or proctology advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
It was meant metaphorically...

Point meant to be conveyed was that we need to be heard, to let them know that we will not tolerate this without voicing our opposition.
Tman- gotcha, I figured that is what you were talking about, just wanted to send a reminder to everyone (including myself) to follow Joe's advice on courtesy and professionalism.