Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
bentrod1

To go or not to go...

Checked the buoy info. and weather report the other day and began to realize without any surf launch experience to speak of - I wouldn't know what size surf to brave or not for my first dry run. I guess without my gear I could try anything but what about with gear?

What keeps you guys away? What do you look for? Wind?

Thanks to a few hilarious videos posted lately, I'm pretty confident of what NOT to do.

-Bret
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
dmrides

When looking at the swell data, it is important to look at the wave period along with the size. Yesterday for example was a decent swell with a short wave period, at the launch this means there will be significant waves breaking. Consequentially, people were surfing at the launch and it was interesting to say the least getting in and out of the surf.

At other times, when the wave period is long, even with a larger swell the canyon and the point essentially keep the waves from being large at the launch.

Then of course there is the direction of the swell to consider as well. Obviously the point helps break up South Swells, but the launch is exposed to west and north west swells.

These are all things to consider when planning your launch, but by far the LJ Webcam is the best tool there is. Watch it for a while and make sure that you see a few sets on the cam before you make your decision to go. Of course this makes the early morning decisions tough.

Best thing I ever did was take my kayak out and surf it for about and an hour and a half to learn how to catch waves, get through them, practice rolling and getting back on. This will give you all the confidence you need.

Hope that helps.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
sdfisher

have all your gear leashed and strapped! then IF you do wipe out it is not so bad,

I would def go out for a hour or two with just the yak to practice going in and out of the waves and getting comfortable with it, watch the waves so you can get a idea of how to time the sets and then come in on the back of a wave in between sets

good luck!
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Aquahunter
Crazy Deaf Cuban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
When looking at the swell data, it is important to look at the wave period along with the size. Yesterday for example was a decent swell with a short wave period, at the launch this means there will be significant waves breaking. Consequentially, people were surfing at the launch and it was interesting to say the least getting in and out of the surf.

At other times, when the wave period is long, even with a larger swell the canyon and the point essentially keep the waves from being large at the launch.

Then of course there is the direction of the swell to consider as well. Obviously the point helps break up South Swells, but the launch is exposed to west and north west swells.

These are all things to consider when planning your launch, but by far the LJ Webcam is the best tool there is. Watch it for a while and make sure that you see a few sets on the cam before you make your decision to go. Of course this makes the early morning decisions tough.

Best thing I ever did was take my kayak out and surf it for about and an hour and a half to learn how to catch waves, get through them, practice rolling and getting back on. This will give you all the confidence you need.

Hope that helps.
X2
Aquahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Sherm

Wind and direction are important as well. Blowing offshore can be a problem getting back in. I don't like being on the water if the wind is over 10 mph. The wind is just a pain in the arss.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post
have all your gear leashed and strapped! then IF you do wipe out it is not so bad,

Never leash your paddle in the surf zone.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I am a fair weather yakfisher so mine will be conservative recommendations. In case you are interested, here they are.

Check the Scripps forecast. If it is three feet or more, or rising so it will be in that range, I usually stay home. In borderline situations, I look at the swell interval. Most of us can launch and land in larger surf if the interval is long, say 12 to 15 seconds. With a long swell interval, it may be doable even if the surf is four feet. Just time your launch and landing for when there is a lull but be prepared for those times when you guess wrong by having everything lashed down and put away.

For me, landing in big surf is much tricker than launching so the forecast for the end of the fishing day is something I always look at.

Forecasts are forecasts and not always totally accurate. The images from the web cam, if you can see them in the early morning light are always worth checking out.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
-scallywag-
Banned

swell:regaurdless of the surf reports 99% of the time the launch is flat. anything from the W-NW under 11 sec and over 4-5ft usually has me packing light or not launching at all ....longer interval from the same direction (w-nw) will not really effect the launch even if it's 7-10ft at scripps. in most of our fishing kayaks with a little practice, 3-4ft is a piece of cake.

wind: this is the limiting factor, anything over 15mph is a little rough in the hobie and it starts getting difficult to fish. if there are 15+mph S winds I wont fish. Strong E winds (offshore) schedualed to blow all day keeps me off the water too. My favorite wind conditions are light E in the morning shifting to light W winds in the afternoon
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
bentrod1

As usual...

...thanks you all for your bone and (most importantly) gear saving advice and suggestions!

-Bret
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
yani

Alright, here's my two cents.

Sometimes you get surprised with respectabe surf
at the launch. By this time you've already started to
learn to accelerate your kayak from a stand still.
Cause this is what you need to punch thru the waves
on the way out. Strength and acceleration.
Along with good timing.

Landing is another story. Riding the surf can be done
three ways. One, check out Jim Sammons video on
"side-ways" surf landings. This takes practice, but is
very effective. Two, catch the wave like a surfer would,
then lean back as far as possible while using your paddle
as a rudder, keeping your nose straight. If you end up
side-ways, then use Jim's method.

And three. I call it "Bail and Be the Rudder." When the surf
is big, and there's a crowd on the beach being entertained
by flying kayakfisherman: Put all your crap in the kayak, get
in the water, dogpaddle from the back end and hold on
for dear life while one wave breaks on you and hurdles you
and your yak in. Even if you let go, you and your yak will
be on shore in short notice. Just ask Maggie...

Oh, there's a forth. Learn to paddle backwards. Then approach
the beach backwards, giving you the option to go back out to
sea when there's a monster set coming at you.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
taggermike

Here's some advise; get some surf launch experience. Videos can only take you so far, and not very far at that. Leave all your gear at home except seat, paddle, and pfd and go get wet. Find out how your boat handles in the waves. That's how you get experience. Plus you won't loose any gear that way. Try to find an area of the beach with out many people inside from you. One last thing, if you're in the water keep yourself between the waves and your kayak. If you're on the beach side of your in the surf the waves can drive the yak in to you and that's a lot of weight and force. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Never leash your paddle in the surf zone.
What is the reason for that?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
What is the reason for that?
Because when you wipe out it can wrap around your neck.