Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
JarrodMc

Oside

It's been a long time since I've posted anything but I went out today in Oside with my buddy Justin. We hit the water about 5:30, got bait and headed to the ARs.

After searching around for some signs of big fish we found a reef. Our first pass over the reef I got hooked up on a fatty sandy. I made another drift over trolling one line and throwing a swimbait. My plastic got hammered on the drop, right after my line I trolled got hit, I set the hook on the plastic (or so I thought), started reeling and boom line goes slack. Darn fish chomped the tail off... I look at my other line with the bait and that fish is gone. Damnit! Justin got a couple small rockies that lived to swim another day. While we were sitting on our spot out of nowhere we saw a T-shark breach full out of the water! Crazy, I wish I had my GoPro running but we all know how that goes. I chucked an iron at that area for a while for no dice. After the shark passed through, that spot slowed down after a few more drifts so onward we went.

Next reef we make a pass over it and it looked fishy. I threw my swimbait again and got 3 Calico on 5 casts passing over the reef 2 of which were keeper size but all were released healthy. The current was pulling pretty good as the day went on so we made multiple passes over each spot.

While paddling around we saw bait getting pushed up so we both chucked some metal for a bit. I caught another small calico with some beautiful checkering.

We both continued paddling around looking for more life but there wasn't a whole lot going on out there. On the way in we made a couple more drifts over the spots we found. Casting plastics I landed another sandy that looked about 15-16" but I let it swim away also. We dropped baits for a little longer but we kept getting short bit and called it a day.

No bigguns but it was a fun day on the water!
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
octico

Nice fish! Good job C&R!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
DennisMorgan

Great work gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
"jjcawjj"

Well done!! Just finding the AR's is impressive!
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
FISH11

Nice looking fish. Thanks for sharing. Tight Lines!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice work
Old 06-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Grunt31

Very well. I've tried fishing the ARs no luck. Dropped squid, swims, and macs.... Nada good to see someone else pulling. Good day out there..
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Jaysuuun
Junior

Good work! Those are some nice looking bass. I'd love to fish the O'side AR's sometime. Are they really that hard to find?

Jaysuuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
Grunt31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysuuun View Post
Good work! Those are some nice looking bass. I'd love to fish the O'side AR's sometime. Are they really that hard to find?

Yeah they can be, unless you have gps, but if the current is pushing and it's cloudy out, it's a bit rough staying on top. Sometimes you may drift off a couple hundred feet before you even know it.
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
kauaiboy04

made a google map of ALL the AR's in socal, plus kelp beds, SMCA, etc. etc., pulled it up on my phone, and paddled to the general area. then just used the FF to find the actual bottome. not too hard to find.

and yea, current was pulling HARD that day!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
JarrodMc

Thanks guys! It wasn't too hard to find with Justin's map and having GPS on my Dragonfly FF. The current was ripping that day so it was tough to stay on top.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
taggermike

Nice bass. With our warmer water this year you oside guys should get some yellows your way. The ARs and Buc Pipe can hold yellows. I used to live in north county and have caught yt in both places. Shorter paddle than heading to the kelp beds or off the LCAC hanger. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote