Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
Keepfishing
Junior

Help with new fish finder

I have fished LJ many times without a fishfinder hoping for a YT, but never had any luck.

I tested it out finding structure and did great. I did way better than when I would just drift around hoping for some rockfish.

But I don't know how to use it with yellowtail. Do I just peddle around LJ looking for signs like birds and baitballs, then hope to see big markings on the fishfinder and flyline right there?

Do you use the bottom structure to know where they may be?

Please give me help on signs to look for or what to do when going after them with a fish finder.

Keepfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
JarrodMc

There are a lot of different variables. This last winter when a lot of people were getting them in deeper water off of structure with the yoyo, you'd look for deepwater structure and many concentrated small arches (bait) or bigger arches (yellows) and drop down. When they're dispersed in the water column, similarly, you still wanna find some bait and as you're paddling around, you'll sometimes come across bigger arches, sometimes you'll see the marks rising which means they're coming to the surface or hitting bait.

It's gonna come down to practice and time on the water. Don't forget to look for other signs like you had mentioned, birds working or bait on the surface. That's always a good indicator for bigger fish around. When you see what bait looks like, remember that then when you hook up on a yellow, remember what the meter looked like when you spotted them. Same goes for other species, squid, etc.

Good luck