Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #41
CKallday71

When it's your time it's your time. Besides, how freaking cool would it be to have, Here lies so and so, he was eaten by a shark while doing something he loved.

That would be an EPIC headstone! I'm in!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #42
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoslayer View Post
ya'll are funny! I see people carry rifles/pistols all the time in VA..mostly to take out those big Bluefins before they get em on the boat lol
Unfortunately CA isn't one of the free states
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #43
CKallday71

Only predators I worry about are bipedal.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #44
bigbarrels

these stats tell me one thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
My opinion: If its my time to go its my time to go. Plus its highly unlikely it will happen.

Copy paste from natgeo website[/CODE]
SHARK ATTACK FACTS
Surfers accounted for 50.8% of all attacks in 2010.

Swimmers and Waders accounted for 38% of all attacks in 2010.

Snorkelers and divers accounted for 8% of all attacks in 2010.

Inflatable rafts/inner tubes accounted for 3% of attacks in 2010.
2010 was the most dangerous year for unprovoked shark attacks in a decade with 79.

Over the last half-century, there have been more unprovoked shark attacks in Florida (27 out of a total 139) between 2-3 pm than any other time of the day.

New Smyrna Beach in Florida is the shark attack capital of the world according to ISAF. It is estimated that anyone who has swam there has been within 10ft of a shark.

September is the month with the most Shark attacks in Florida (93) 1920-2010.

Since 1907 201 out 220 Great White Attacks have occurred when the human was less than 6ft from the surface.

You have a 1 in 63 chance of dying from the flu and a 1 in 3,700,000 chance of being killed by a shark during your lifetime.

Over 17,000 people die from falls each year. That's a 1 in 218 chance over your lifetime, compared to a 1 in 3,700,000 chance of being killed by a shark.

In 1996, toilets injured 43,000 Americans a year. Sharks injured 13.

1n 1996, buckets and pails injured almost 11,000 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

In 1996, 2600 Americans were injured by room fresheners. Sharks injured 13.

The US averages just 19 shark attacks each year and one shark-attack fatality every two years. Meanwhile, in the coastal U.S. states alone, lightning strikes and kills more than 37 people each year.

Since 1959, Florida has had more shark attacks (603) than lightning fatalities (459).

Since 1959, California has had more shark attacks than lightning fatalities (89/30).

Since 1959, Hawaii has had 97 Shark attacks but no lightning fatalities.

Only 5 people die from shark attacks yearly, while millions of people die from starvation.

Since 1905, Natal (where Durban is) has had 89 shark attacks and 27 fatalities.
For every human killed by a shark, humans kill approximately two million sharks.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #45
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjeff View Post
Yes
Per
"PC§ 25640. Possession by Person Engaged in Hunting or Fishing
Section 25400 (PC§ 25400. Concealed Firearm; Punishment) does not apply to, or affect, licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing , or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition."

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=25600-25655
Hmmm now I know there was an exception for hunting and fishing. So technically speaking you could conceal legally while fishing from the pier, as long as you unloaded it before heading to the car.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #46
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjeff View Post
Yes
Per
"PC§ 25640. Possession by Person Engaged in Hunting or Fishing
Section 25400 (PC§ 25400. Concealed Firearm; Punishment) does not apply to, or affect, licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing , or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition."

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=25600-25655

There is an exception to most everything: It is not legal to be in possession of a firearm while bow hunting during the bow season.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #47
CKallday71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
There is an exception to most everything: It is not legal to be in possession of a firearm while bow hunting during the bow season.
Well, if you get cited while bow hunting for having a pistol on you, just tell the officer that you're fishing while bow hunting... Handled!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #48
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking you were saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
you would have to carry a very large caliber high powered rifle to even puncture the skin, or maybe a shotgun. Bullets dont work well under water at all, which is where you would be, and if your that worried stay off the water......

AK

Put yourself in the sharks fins. Imagine if you were sitting at home minding your own business.You get up to get a bite to ear and some jacka$$ in Tupperware comes in your house and busted a cap in your coolo.

Your in his house. Respect if you cant do that fish Irvine lake.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #49
Fiskadoro

I have no idea while people think it's illegal to carry a pistol or any gun on a kayak or boat. It's completely legal once your on the water, just don't go into Mexican waters carrying one.

The big issue though is at the launch. While your on land you should not have the weapon on you or even loaded. If you want to carry a handgun put it in a drybag unloaded with the ammo stored in another bag.

I've occasionally taken a Model 642 38 S&W with me fishing.
Don't forget to clean and oil it.

As to shooting sharks the last thing I'd ever want to shoot is a protected species like a Great White. That said if I was on the water and a Great White was actively attacking my Kayak and I had a 38 with me I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. As many times as I could right in the head.

Also as far as the effects of guns on sharks goes... Well I used to fish sharks all the time and we used to shoot our Makos and threshers with a 22 long rifle in the head. Maybe it didn't kill them but it would stun them to the point they couldn't do anything,

For instance this Adult T fought for over and hour and drug us five miles but once we gaffed her with the fly gaff she took off so hard she almost ripped the cleat right off the boat. We shot her with the 22 maybe four times in the head and after that we had no problem pulling her back to the boat, tying her along side and cutting her gills and spinal cord.

I'm not saying that anyone should carry a gun or that it's necessary but it is legal, and though I think the risk of white attack is minimal, just logistically from my experience shooting a shark definitely does have an effect on it and if you hit in the brain stem or cord it would incapacitate it.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-12-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #50
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post

I've occasionally taken a Model 642 38 S&W with me fishing

Holy SH*^!

Don't mess with jimday he'll bust a cap in yo' punk ass!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #51
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

FREE STATE- LAND OF THE FREE BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Unfortunately CA isn't one of the free states
Land of the Free:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Remember guys:

Fish here, not here:

NEW MLPA ZONE:

We now can only fish inside the yellow markers . By the way, congratulations, we live in the land of the free.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 12-12-2013 at 07:47 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #52
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
That said is I was on the water and a Great White was actively attacking my Kayak and I had a 38 with me I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. As many times as I could right in the head.
If you are in a close quarters fire fight with a great white shark using a 1" barrel pistol, be careful not to shoot a hole in your kayak, otherwise you'd be on a sinking boat with sharks in the water...
We've always talked about which weapon we would take if we were sailing the ocean blue, mostly as defense against pirates. The reality is many countries frown upon firearms on boats, entering such a country's waters with one can result in serious consequences; Mexico is one of those countries.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #53
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post

AK

Put yourself in the sharks fins. Imagine if you were sitting at home minding your own business.You get up to get a bite to ear and some jacka$$ in Tupperware comes in your house and busted a cap in your coolo.

Amen. Whether it's with sharks in the water or bears/lions/chupacabras in the forest. People forget that they're out there for fun. These creatures are out there doing what they naturally do. Just because they interrupt your fun doesn't give you any right to put them down. If you do then you need to get over yourself.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #54
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Amen. Whether it's with sharks in the water or bears/lions/chupacabras in the forest. People forget that they're out there for fun. These creatures are out there doing what they naturally do. Just because they interrupt your fun doesn't give you any right to put them down. If you do then you need to get over yourself.

That is exactly right, when i go camping i expect to see bears.

Now, if a bear approaches i'll try to scare it off.
If it attacks, its a different story.

plain and simple

That is the difference between the people who survive, and the people who do not.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #55
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
If you are in a close quarters fire fight with a great white shark using a 1" barrel pistol, be careful not to shoot a hole in your kayak

Yup and I'll be careful of my nuts too because I'm really dumb enough to shoot my own nuts off....NOT!!!

I gather you've never fired a 642 Airweight. I think the barrel is 1 7/8 but they are actually remarkably accurate. They also have a very stiff trigger pull so it's not like you could pull the trigger without meaning to.

I've had weapons all my life and the most important rule is never point it at anything you do not want to shoot. I can't recall how many times I've discharged a weapon (too many to count), but I can tell you that I've never shot anything I did not intend to shoot.

Shooting your own kayak would be pretty damn stupid, I wouldn't suggest it but you could probably fill a bullet hole in a kayak with a piece of tee-shirt in under a few minutes. Now shoot a hole through the side of your sportfisher when you've been running a chum slick for several hours...... now that would be unfortunate because in order to patch the thing you'd have to jump into the slick.

Like I said I've carried weapons on the water before. Shark fisherman often carry weapons to shoot their sharks and they sure as hell know better then to shoot their own boat.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-12-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #56
SirGeorgeKillian
Junior

Here in the great state of South Carolina, there is no need to carry concealed. You can carry open while on the way to, from, or during a hunt or fishing as long as you have the appropriate hunting or fishing license.
We got gators here. I carry religiously. Frog lube keeps the rusty bits from growing.
SirGeorgeKillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #57
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:

I gather you've never fired a 642 Airweight. I think the barrel is 1 7/8 but they are actually remarkably accurate. They also have a very stiff trigger pull so it's not like you could pull the trigger without meaning to.
No, I can't say that I have. I'm sure the Airweight is a fine weapon.
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of handguns at all, even though I own one. While they are easier to carry around, if I am in a situation where I need to shoot something, I would prefer to shoot it at the maximum possible distance from me as possible, so I prefer something with a longer barrel, which most likely would be not concealable and off topic here.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #58
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
No, I can't say that I have. I'm sure the Airweight is a fine weapon.
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of handguns at all, even though I own one. While they are easier to carry around, if I am in a situation where I need to shoot something, I would prefer to shoot it at the maximum possible distance from me as possible, so I prefer something with a longer barrel, which most likely would be not concealable and off topic here.
X2
big boom good.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #59
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post

AK

X2 get a bigger boat if you're that worried.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #60
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

It's funny how someone asks if you can carry and more than half the people here just give reasons why you shouldn't or don't need to. The question is if you can, not why would you need to. In other free states it's not even a question, it's a right and in fact common place. This state used to be that way too but the anti's here are brainwashing people into believing that guns are evil and they don't need to carry, and alot of people believe they don't even have the right.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote