Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Yak mandude
Junior

Bait tankless

New to the world of yak fishing and learned a lesson last week about the importance of having the right bait. I have been throwing plastics in the bay and doing alright for spotties and the occasional halibut. That being said, I really want to catch bigger halibut and this lesson of which I've already spoke of showed me how..........
There were three of them in a rented John boat about 12' long which was equipped with a full bait tank. They caught 2 keeper halibut and lost another in the hour or so that they floated in my presence. They were obnoxious like schoolgirls and loud to boot, but they were catching fish and I was not.
What they lacked in intellect the more than made up for in bait.

So........... I guess the point of all of this is what is the best a yak fisherman can use for halibut without a bait tank.......... Also, anyone ever use the little bait bucket that you tow?
Yak mandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
todd one

What ever you do, don't get the bait motel, that net that you tow behind you. I tried it before I bought my bait tank. It was like dragging a parachute. I ended up dumping all my bait 30 minutes after I bought it. I hear the pvc pipe tube isn't bad, but I think my bait tank was money well spent.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
beef78
Large Member

I am going to try dragging dodgers with spoons and dodgers with hoochies 4th of july weekend. I have been doing very well with live bait, but want to try a new method. I have only caught a couple big halibut (20-22 inches) on a swimbait, but they were on baits 4 inches or bigger. Also, I used scent.
I made my own bait tank, but I will reccomend just going and buying the one from OEX for 200 because with the battery, battery box, electrical parts, pump, plumbing, tools and bucket it was kind of a hassle to put together.
this is a good kit if you are going to put one together your self, tho: http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-T500-R...+bait+pump+kit
Old 06-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Yak mandude
Junior

Thanks for the info. I am fishing in an ocean kayak right now, but will hopefully be getting into an outback, or pro angler soon. I really want to get one of the Hobie tanks, but they wont work in my Ocean........
Yak mandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Big Wave Dave

You could also make a bait tube. They don't hold much, but they work OK and cost a lot less.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
easyday

I made a bait tank out of a vittles vault for just under 60 bucks.