Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

PETA does it again!

PETA... what a bunch of NUTS!!!
This is from an article in todays L.A. Times about the Pike's Place Fish Market in Seattle. Anyone who has been there will remember the fishmongers tossing the fish to each other and the cashier when the fish are purchased...
"Asserting that the practice of lobbing fish above the heads of patrons and tourists at the market and other venues is disrespectful to creatures that already have gone through a lot, an animal rights group is protesting plans to stage a flying-fish exhibition at an upcoming veterinarians conference in Seattle.
Ultimately, they would like to see the practice banned at the fish market too. They argue that tourists would not be nearly so eager to snap photos if dead kittens or gutted lambs were sailing over their heads..."
LMAO
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
taggermike

It's a bit embarrasing to share an opinion with PETA but when I saw those guys heaving whole salmon through the air on TV all I could think was "what a stupid and disrespectful thing to do to a fish". I suppose there is some entertainment value to this, like watching a guy toss a pizza dough, but I can say I don't want any of my food treated like that. I'd hate to order a stake and then see it come flying through the air from the back room. The creature did die for you so perhaps a bit more respect is iin order. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

With due respect to Taggermike's opinion, if you have ever visited Pike's you would probably feel differently about their antics. The fishmongers at Pike's have been doing things this way for many years. I am sure that in the beginning, tossing the fish around was just the most efficient way to get things done. It has evolved over the years into an entertaining tradition that most visitors enjoy watching.

The comparison to someone tossing pizza dough or a sushi chef flailing around with sharp knives is a good one. In my book, this is harmless fun.

The world has plenty of bigger problems which deserve our attention. I say that we should give the folks at Pike's a pass. If someone does not like seeing the fish fly through the air, don't pay Pike's a visit.

PS. For those who object to food being tossed around, I would also recommend you stay away from Dick's Last Resort where the servers often use a similar style of delivering customer's orders.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Billy V

PETA KILLS ANIMALS
-Just incase you didn't know

Some Crime Scene photos here
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/shockingphotos.cfm

There is alot of info in this link, Peta are cold blooded murderers.
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petasdirtysecret.cfm
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Podaker

[
PS. For those who object to food being tossed around, I would also recommend you stay away from Dick's Last Resort where the servers often use a similar style of delivering customer's orders.

Bob[/quote

yes, dick's last resort great fun and good food. good place to start out your evening before a padres game followed by a couple of bars in the gaslamp
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
herbo

Maybe we could have a PETA tossing contest[just like the bouncer tossing patrons contest on tv]?.....H