Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #21
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

MUST READ - MAKE THOSE CALLS!

From the numbers Chris posted...

I just got off the phone with Jonathan Hardy (Senator Ducheny’s Staff), 619-409-7690. He is also a member of the statewide interest group, and here is some of the things he touched on that the Senator is aware of;

- That the mapping has issues and is behind
- That they are aware that the process is going too fast
- They listen not only enviros, but commercial as well
- That the BRTF has an agenda, he has heard that
- Aware of the budget, and part of the budget conference committee

Here is the best part...when I mentioned to him the concern of kelp habitat as a factor in determining which areas need help, and that some of the areas mentioned are very kelp-healthy, he said that they are aware that only certain years were used for the study, when there are 80 years' worth of study available...

The 3 mile closure from shore? CA only has that jurisdiction...over 3 miles is federal...did not know that...

Jonathan Hardy seemed to me to be helpful, knowledgeable about the process and the pros and cons, and assured me that the Senator is aware of problems in the process and the meeting tomorrow is a hearing to decide what steps need to be addressed.

Also, they are aware the DFG is under-funded and could pose problems, and I told him that I for one, like many of you, know how important it is to have the DFG out in force. A mention was made of Sutton's involvement, among other things I'd rather not post here...will talk about it Saturday...

Keep making those calls, I was taken aback how much he was informed of everything, calls regarding the MLPA are directed to him.

Thanks Chris for those numbers....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #22
Billy V

Mail Sent to everyone.

Have a Nice Day.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #23
Matt
Support your local pangas

NO REST FOR THE WEARY OR THE DILLIGENT, and YEAH I DO HAVE A FAX MACHINE AT HOME NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD USE IT BUT HERE GOES!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #24
Dennis

Sent lastnight... Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #25
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Don't stop FAXING, EMAILING, CALLING!

If you want to watch the action, the Budget Conference Committee hearing is scheduled today for 3 PM and will be available at The California Channel http://www.calchannel.com/
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #26
Lit-up1

MLPA

Fax away-
The enviros aren't sending faxes like us-they pay drones to do it for them

Thanks Chris
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #27
Geoffkoop

Sent to all
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #28
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I have, with the help of Chris, come up with a letter that kids can give to their parents and let them know what is going on...

PM me if you would like a copy...

Tman
Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #29
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have been trying to send faxes to these folks all day. The lines have been busy so none have gone through. Hopefully the lines are jammed by folks expressing our point of view.

I will try later this evening.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #30
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Well, according the the rumors going around...
still trying to figure out what happened. Trying to find the real answer on the internet, because the internet is always right .

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 06-11-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: not sure
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #31
joyjiggin'

Talking

Emails-done. Phone calls-manana. Thanks for the info!
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #32
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Thanks Chris and all!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #33
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Letters...

Got a couple people ask me for copies, hope they will work for you and would like your feedback.

I handed out a bunch today at Clay's school, talked to a bunch of people, had Moms saying that they would give it to their husbands who aren't aware, and Dads who knew nothing about the going ons with the MLPA...

Scary. Quite scary.

This is far from over, and since this whole act is supposed to have "extensive public input" (actual wording from their handouts), I cannot believe how many people have not heard about it.

Regardless if we win the first round, there will always be, most assuredly, a round 2...

I implore you to make copies, change names, schools, etc., and inform and enlighten the public.

For the record, I did not encounter one person, not one, who want what the anti-fishers want.

And the people I spoke to today are all parents. Imagine that. And if you don't have kids, I'm sure you know someone who does.

PS...If you have minimal posts and are unknown in the kayak community, sorry, I ran out of copies to email you...

Tman
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #34
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

T-Man, it's worse than you know. Since I have gotten involved with Paul's fundraiser, I have made a point of asking everyone I see fishing from a kayak if they plan to fish in the tournament to support the cause. More than half of the people I have spoken to, are totally unaware of the MLPA threat.

We need to find a very visible person or group to champion this cause and get the message out to the masses. That will be hard to do. An easier mission is to make sure that everyone who knows how to spell kayak, or fishing understands what is at stake. Each of us can help in that regard by talking to the people we meet.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #35
Saba Slayer

Public

It's amazing how few people/fishermen are aware of the MLPA process...
Make it your job to inform everyone you can...tell the guys at work about it... carry some hand-outs in your car to inform folks about what's going on, especially at the various kayak launch areas and launch ramps.
Print the up-coming meeting/workshop schedule and hand that out.
Get as many folks involved as you can!
Thanks
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #36
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Indeed...this is unfathomable to me personally, I spoke to some of Clay's schoolmates today, and they were shocked.

I think that most people think that someone else will handle the workload and we will all be safe. It is not the case.

I agree with what you say, there are TONS of people out there, Mothers, Fathers, Daughters, Sons, who are completely unaware.

This is not something that only affects adult kayakers, it has the potential to affect our children.

I am taking this personally because I have raised my son to respect and appreciate the ocean. The only seafood we buy at the store is shrimp, scallops, and crab. And canned tuna. If we don't plan to eat what we catch that day, we release.

For someone to stand up and say that they love fishing, and they love fishermen, but they want their grandchildren to be able to fish, is essentially telling me that they don't want my son to fish.

Maybe we need to contact groups that realize the benefits of taking a kid fishing, let's send some letters out to these groups. It's a start.

Post up some websites people, they want extensive public input!

Post some links, I will send out letters and emails...already have.

An uninformed public is a docile public...sound familiar?

Tman
Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #37
herbo

Done deal!!!!!! now to burn up the phone lines!!!.....H
Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #38
Zed
BANNED

I agree most average Joes and Janes off the street/beach haven't heard of it at all. To play devil's advocate, because I do, there will still be a large percentage of folks (after whichever proposal is enacted) that do fish, that we all can't/haven't reach(ed). So there will be a large number of folks ignorantly fishing is restricted areas in the future. This comes around to education and enforcement $$$ which isn't available now. If there isn't enough wardens now, w/ minimal closures, where are the wardens going to come from when there is more (hopefully the lesser of all evils) widespread closures?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #39
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

For public outreach, not even all kayak and boat fisherman know whats going on. I think we should focus on them for now. I have some ideas for Saturdays meeting at Joe's.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #40
CurtyL

Anyone hear how it went?
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote