Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #41
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Flatfish View Post
Something else to think about: How many times do you just tell the DFG that you caught nothing to avoid any hassle? I am sadly guilty guilty of it. Then they think nobody is catching anything. Then others say there are no fish out there to catch, because nothing is being reported. Then they whip a little MLPA on us because the fish counts are so low. Is there anything to this? I don't know. But I am honest about what I catch now. Keep or release. Better information is better for all.

Or you tell them what you caught and where you caught it. Then they use that Data to determine were the majority of fish are being harvested. target that area for a closure. No telling how they use that Data.

The guys that do the fish surveys arent DFG. I think they are swore in and could write you a violation. But I was told they are college students doing some sorta DFG survey for them. Hired part time or soemthing.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #42
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
The guys that do the fish surveys arent DFG. I think they are swore in and could write you a violation. But I was told they are college students doing some sorta DFG survey for them. Hired part time or soemthing.
Gino
the DFG surveyors I have talked to in the past, have told me that they do NOT enforce any of the DFG regs.
One of them even told me that when doing a survey he came across 2 short halibut.
When he called in a warden and the warden reprimanded him.
The wardens point was that the surveyors are there strictly to survey.
And if they were to start trying to enforce the DFG regs. that the public would no longer volunteer to participate in the surveys.

Yep it is voluntary to participate in those surveys.
That's why they say... "can I ask you a few questions?"
I have only said no one time, and apologized because I was running late and didn't have time.

I figure be nice and helpful if you can... These guys and gals are most likely the next batch of DFG wardens, and someday may have a badge.

As far as the DFG goes, I respect them and comply when asked, just as I would with any peace officer.

Last thing we need is a few pin heads giving Kayakers a bad name.
I like it when they say, "I have never had a problem with the kayak fishing community"
Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #43
Gino

Thanks for clearing that up Don, I was told they could be sworn in to enforce regulations, I know in other states they do that. My source was wrong!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #44
gilrockit
Gilrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I have sharpied a ruler on both sides of my kayak with marks at 13-22-28"

I think they should crackdown on all guys fishing on the breakwall in NPH.they have no licence and keep everything regardless of size-season-etc.You all know who I am talking about...
Just last week I saw some guys at NPH from my kayak taking short Halibut! it ticked me off! Whats the number to fish and game for poachers!!!!!
gilrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #45
fishinkid2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilrockit View Post
Whats the number to fish and game for poachers!!!!!
1888 DFG-CALTIP

When it comes to polluters, DFG is useless. I called them once to report a ton of pollution in the SD river in Santee, and they simply told me its not their problem, and that I should contact the city.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #46
Gino

Gil, was it guys in a rental skiff? The guys on the jetty as well as the Rental skiff guys are pretty damn bad.

Can Harbor Patrol enforce Fish and Game regulations? Poachers at Newport are rampant.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #47
Aaron

A lot of the surveyors are associated with NOAA and not the DFG and thus no fear in reporting your catch. But there should be no fear anyways. You should know the regs well enough to not break the rules with whatever it is you're doing.

Its a big deal that they get accurate catch information. At a conference I was at recently, they were talking about the problems associated with not haven't a level of precision in data collection for the recreational take of fish like they do for the commercial fleet. Its like anything in science, as the "n" gets smaller, the standard deviation most commonly gets bigger and the tendancy for the California legislature is to use the most "conservative" estimate (most restrictive) when deciding on matters such as the MPA's. There was even talk of using sportboat daily reports as a means of data collection. Its a good thing those are NEVER inflated . Be as precise as possible with those people. Accurate data beats the absence of data every time for us as fisherman, takes a lot of the leeway out of bending data during decision making.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #48
gilrockit
Gilrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Gil, was it guys in a rental skiff? The guys on the jetty as well as the Rental skiff guys are pretty damn bad.

Can Harbor Patrol enforce Fish and Game regulations? Poachers at Newport are rampant.
No, the guys I'm talking about are always on the short pier in the main channel, I know its a fishing spot by the cost guard station. I watched them take short fish back to their cars many times. It fires me up!!!!!!
gilrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #49
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilrockit View Post
No, the guys I'm talking about are always on the short pier in the main channel, I know its a fishing spot by the cost guard station. I watched them take short fish back to their cars many times. It fires me up!!!!!!

I have heard of people having their vehicles confiscated as well as their gear when they do this
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #50
Siebler

I have only had run ins with 1 warden who for some reason decided He did not like me, see him at least once a year (usually hunting) and he does everything short of a cavity search. Even though i dont care for him I still let him check everything because It is nice to see these guys out there doing their job and protecting our resources.

For those of us that do support the 385 wardens that patrol our state may I suggest this: http://dfg.ca.gov/WardenStamp/

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #51
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
For those of us that do support the 385 wardens that patrol our state may I suggest this: http://dfg.ca.gov/WardenStamp/
$5 is pretty cheap for a get out of jail free card. I'm ordering at least one
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #52
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
$5 is pretty cheap for a get out of jail free card. I'm ordering at least one

That was somewhat my thought too. One for the truck and one for the duck boat....

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #53
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Gino
the DFG surveyors I have talked to in the past, have told me that they do NOT enforce any of the DFG regs.
One of them even told me that when doing a survey he came across 2 short halibut.
When he called in a warden and the warden reprimanded him.
The wardens point was that the surveyors are there strictly to survey.
And if they were to start trying to enforce the DFG regs. that the public would no longer volunteer to participate in the surveys.

Yep it is voluntary to participate in those surveys.
That's why they say... "can I ask you a few questions?"
I have only said no one time, and apologized because I was running late and didn't have time.

I figure be nice and helpful if you can... These guys and gals are most likely the next batch of DFG wardens, and someday may have a badge.

As far as the DFG goes, I respect them and comply when asked, just as I would with any peace officer.

Last thing we need is a few pin heads giving Kayakers a bad name.
I like it when they say, "I have never had a problem with the kayak fishing community"

I agree with Gino. A few years ago I was bottom fishing the 150 reef on my boat and caught my limit of rock fish. When I arrived at the launch (Davies) I was greeted by a young kid in DFG uniform asking the usual questions. I allowed him to board my boat and inspect my fillets while I fastened things down. According to what he said he found one of the fillets looked like that of a Canary Yellow Rock Fish http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/canary_id.pdf and starting asking me questions regarding fish skin color, special markings, fins, etc. He asked if he could keep it for further inspection, I agreed and we both moved on. He never gave me any indication that I was in any trouble. He was kind enough to walk to his car, pull out the current DFG regs handbook, show me what a Canary Yellow was and even gave me two books for me to keep. Had he been an actual officer I'm sure the outcome may have been different.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote