Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
prowlerdude

Anybody from here??

Glad it worked out for them

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Last-Call.html
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Podaker

after reading that article and watching that video it reminds me of a few weeks ago when i was out there and the santa ana winds picked up at about 2:30pm. i was able to make it back under my own power without assistance even though the lifegaurds were out to offer help to anyone who needed it. my advise to those guys is instead of relying on a cell phone only, is purchase a FLOATING submersible vhf marine radio, and always remember the ocean can change at a moments notice. have fun out there and be safe!!
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Old 02-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Billy V

What were they thinking ?
Everybody knows you need a Hobie to pull that off.
----------------------
I was out there in the last Crazy Santa Anna when it blew up @ 2:30
20-30 mph winds came on like somebody threw a switch. No problem with the peddles.

I believe our resident darkhorse was there as well.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

FishSeeker?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Many years ago, upon graduating from college, I was dumped into the World during a recession almost as bad as the one we are in now. Having an expensive diploma but no useful job skills, I moved to Park City, Utah and became a ski bum for a couple of years. I worked in one of the local ski shops and could go skiing nearly every day, if I wanted to. One of the important things I learned while living there was what I now call the "Local's Law"... Just because you can go skiing, does not mean that you should go skiing.

Over time I learned not to hit the mountain on weekends, holidays or during bad weather. If the lifts opened at 8:00, I would typically show up around 10:00 when things warmed up a bit and conditions were at their best. The exception being those days when I could be one of the first ones up the lift after a major showfall, making first tracks through a couple feet of fresh power.

This logic applies to kayak fishing as well. Many of us can probably figure out a way to get out on the water nearly any time we want. For some, (the Darkhorse comes to mind), this translates into the development of superior fishing skills. For the rest of us mortals, it means that we can pick and choose when we want to go fishing.

For me, that means not trying to launch when the surf is up and not trying my luck, (and risking my life) during dangerous weather conditions. There is, of course, and exception here as well. The day that word gets out that the squid have shown up and the big YT and WSB are feeding in La Jolla, all logic gets thrown out the window.

Apparently the McClurgs are either not Locals or have not been informed about the Local's Law. I am glad that no one was hurt as a result of this incident. Unfortunately, if this sort of thing happens often enough, the "Authorities" may feel compelled to try to protect some of us from our own stupidity. That means new rules and regulations. This would not be a good thing.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Vikingj

Happy they both got back safe. Did I see a Cobra Navigator in the video? That could be an invitation for flipping. I started kayaking with the Navigator and flipped twice offshore LJ - and it was during mild to moderate wind and swells! I finally saved up for a Hobie Revo. and have had nothing but dry trips. Now if I could just catch a fish!

Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

I'm just glad they didn't get hurt.

But, the comments section at the bottom of the story is interesting, though .
Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
PESCAHOLIC
Junior

a least they got the fish report off...
PESCAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
driftwood

water proof.

This is why i purchased a waterproof phone,GPS,marine radio and fishfinder. A thousand wrong things can happen out there. But most important, stay home in stormy weather.

I dont carry a flare gun cause im afraid i might accidenally shoot it thru the bottom hull and sink.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Billy V

I just watched the Video, definitely a darwin candidate. lmao
Wiseguy Summary

-I couldn't help but notice there was no life jacket visible on their person, or on the kayaks, even when they were still sitting in the kayaks on the water. The Carharts are not a substitute.

-Lost my oar. What is that? No paddle leash....Lewis and Clark.

-I guess the Verison network can't swim, cause they dropped the ball on this one.

-So you think that small craft advisory was a lie and you were going to prove them wrong.

-Feel that Sting ?? Thats pride baby, Fkn with you.

All in fun.

Last edited by Billy V; 02-17-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

I especially liked the last comment

Quote:
Comments (5)

Sort by: Most Recent | Oldest
  • Fishing guide Monday, Feb 16 at 11:48 PM FLAG COMMENT This is the result of a couple of posts that included Yellowtail caught the day prior. You see, posting on kayak fishing websites is dangerous to your health.This is the result of a couple of posts that included Yellowtail caught the day prior. You see, posting on kayak fishing websites is dangerous to your health.
  • Ruben Monday, Feb 16 at 10:52 PM FLAG COMMENT They better get billed for that bone head stunt.They better get billed for that bone head stunt.
  • Bree Monday, Feb 16 at 5:19 PM FLAG COMMENT The weather reports have been calling for this storm to smack us this weekend. Why would they choose to go out on a morning like the one we had today? I am glad they are safe, but they were foolish. "One of the men said he called the small craft advisory line prior to going out and was told that the waves at La Jolla Shores were only 1 to 2 feet. Farther out, though, they were much bigger, he said." The waves are ALWAYS much bigger farther out. Makes me wonder how much ocean experience these two have. ... MORE >
  • Moses L. Osuna Monday, Feb 16 at 1:07 PM FLAG COMMENT I'm glad everyone is back safe.I'm glad everyone is back safe.
  • RG Monday, Feb 16 at 11:35 AM FLAG COMMENT Scary! My husband and I kayak, can't imagine if that happened. FYI, for about $6 at Sports Chalet, you can get waterproof bags for phone/ID/Keys etc.Scary! My husband and I kayak, can't imagine if that happened. FYI, for about $6 at Sports Chalet, you can get waterproof bags for phone/ID/Keys etc.
  • Fish Seeker
    WEARRRR R UR LIFE JACKETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
bigbarrels

no PFD, no VHF radio, no paddle leash, no bilge pump (I'm sure), no dry bag, no bueno...glad they are alright but hopefully they will stick to the bays...Also glad the fishseeker showed up again
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
B Slate

blown out to sea, took a dip into winter water, lost a paddle, ruined cell phone, rescued by coast guard, and no fish.
I wonder when there next trip is?
I am just glad they made it back safe.
I think i will invest in a paddle leash.
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
dorado50

I can't believe you all are bagging on these guys because they don't have at least one of the proper essentials to stay alive in the ocean if something goes wrong ,as in this case..Wind...shame on you...its not their fault!!! You certainly can't hold them accountable for their actions,can you?...Billy,your post was spot on.....as was Bob's
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
Pescado
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
What were they thinking ?
Everybody knows you need a Hobie to pull that off.
----------------------
I was out there in the last Crazy Santa Anna when it blew up @ 2:30
20-30 mph winds came on like somebody threw a switch. No problem with the peddles.

I believe our resident darkhorse was there as well.
I was out there as well with Billy when those Santa Ana winds picked up out of nowhere fast!!! I admit , I was one of 6 people that the Lifeguards picked up the other week (the others were tourists from Nebraska; their guide bailed on the tourist). I didn't ask for help but the lifeguards were checking on everyone out there (1 waverunner & 1 boat & the police boat showed up). I was paddling nowhere fast and decided to put my taxdollars to work & hitched a ride in. Next time, I'm paddling back in fast if theres an indication of Santa Ana winds approaching.

Always a learning experience out there. I always carry a waterproof radio and a cell in my dry bag. You never know. I'm glad those kayakers that were rescued yesterday came back safe. I'm not laughing at you, but with you . As for you lifeguards,

Last edited by Pescado; 02-17-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Pescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
mg2969

Their own report on on bloodydecks

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/in...aker-safe.html
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote