Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
bigbarrels

Best Tandem Kayak

What is the best tandem kayak for fishing (mainly off La Jolla)? Would like to have a bait tank, FF, rudder system...not sure if Malibu or Ocean Kayak has room for the bait tank....hoping to get my wife and nephews out on the water and figured this may be a fun way to do it.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
SeaDog

Just get another single one for her. My wife has her own and I've taken my nephew in his own (we rented one for him, he's 10). I'm not saying the tandem idea doesn't work, it's just every couple I've seen in one is usually fighting, even without tangled lines and fish flipping out. Just my $0.02
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

If you are getting this kayak in addition to your single kayak, I think it is a great idea for the wife, and nephews... I just say this, because there is always the person trying to get a tandem, and use it as their main kayak, and also for when the wife wants to go "once in a while." Tandems stink to paddle solo.

That said, I like having a Tandem, for my wife, and actually nephews, because they did not have the strength to paddle long distances, or against wind/current. A kayak with peddles would better suit them in this case, if they were to have their own kayak.

The great thing about having a tandem kayak with wife, or small kids, or newbies who do not know how to fish, is you can keep tabs on them, re-tie hooks, put the live bait out correctly for trolling. Also, I had a fun time just talking and enjoying nature with my family members, rather than looking all around to see where they were, or if they were struggling, and miserable.

btw, before y'all say anything I tried to hand the rod off, he didn't want it....

He got a spotty later...

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
steveooo

I actually tried two singles, but ended up selling one to get a tandem hobie. The time that she spends on the water with me now has practically doubled since we upgraded to a tandem. Although she like to get out, she doesn't like going solo unless the conditions are glass smooth, inside a harbor. Now I can bring her out, she peddles if she wants, but doesn't need to. Its easy on a tandem to hand her a rod thats baited up, ready to go, and take care of any snafu's .
Some are more hardcore fishing machines, like the pro-tandem. I had to do a bit more work to make mine a fishing machine, but somehow I snuck 5 rod holders, and a 3 gal bait tank on it. It's actually not bad as a solo yak either, but when I go solo I put about 50 lbs of water in drybags up front for ballast.

My pics

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
bigbarrels

Thank you everybody! Andy, the Pro Tandem setup looks nice...I need to stop by your shop and check them out. This will be my second Kayak for when I want to go out with others (wife, nephew, etc). My wife would be more incline to going if we were sitting on the same kayak.....not sure how she would do solo with wind, current, launching and landing, etc
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
RoeBoat

I like my Ocean Malibu 2xl because of the third/center seat which I use when I take it out by myself. Actually, because my son is smaller I sit in the center seat even when he is with me and I strap a crate to the back seat for gear. It also means I'm close enough to help him bait the hook, etc. I've actually had two kids on with me several times, one in front and one in back. It isn't much fun to paddle, and with two kids at the same time it seems like I'm always in untangle mode, but we have a blast.
RoeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote