Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 05:00 AM   #1
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Freedom to pick and choose.....got butter......

Knifes. I prefer real butter over margarine,especially on my seafood,it's been around since the churning of the century.Butt did you no how butter knifes came about. In 1637 Cardinal Richelieu reputedly cured dinner guests of the habit of picking their teeth with sharp knifes at the dinner table. Resulting in a round blunt tip,I'm sure tooth picks were invented shortly after that. Later in 1669 King Louis XlV of France banned pointed knifes in the streets and at his table insisting on blunt tips in hope that it would reduce violence.

Special thanks to Rossman and his buddy Steve who caught 22 Yellowtail in one day in Baja Asuncion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181020_051840.jpg (63.5 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 20181019_103908.jpg (64.5 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by MITCHELL; 10-20-2018 at 08:06 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Cheaper by the dozen....

This stainless steel is the hardest material I have ever drilled threw. If you want to take on a project like this ,some things you want to know. Brand new Milwaukee cobalt drill bits didn't even work a waste of money for this project. What worked was masonry bits and drill as slow as you can cooling with water in a squirt bottle. $2.50 per bit after one or two thick holes you have to resharpen drill bit. Most all drill bits regardless what there made out of, resharpen at an angle of 118° .I made a simple wood block jig with a hand coping saw to resharpen drill bits, just hold it at a right angle to a bench grinder, or a hand grinder....tight lines
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181018_061159.jpg (59.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 20181015_151124.jpg (81.0 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by MITCHELL; 10-22-2018 at 01:54 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
mattamatta

I can't believe it's not butter.....

I like the spoons you made from the blades. I saved the blade from mine but haven't done anything with it yet - although I did actually use it for something fishing related.... my little tube of reel grease blew out the back of the tube and I ended up heating the knife blade (first good metal item I found in the drawer...) over a flame and using it to melt and seal the back of the grease tube!

I haven't used my knife jig all that much, but I did catch a lizard fish jigging near the bottom near Oceanside pier and some calicos/macks on the troll at La Jolla once. Threw it for a little bit this summer at YFT and Skippies on a party boat, but not long enough for any results.

The drilling was definitely a beast! I just used an old bit and forced it until it was done/destroyed. Next time I might actually try an end mill or something more like a carbide cutter run gently with a lot of fluid...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knifejig.jpg (114.3 KB, 80 views)
mattamatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamatta View Post
I can't believe it's not butter.....

I like the spoons you made from the blades. I saved the blade from mine but haven't done anything with it yet - although I did actually use it for something fishing related.... my little tube of reel grease blew out the back of the tube and I ended up heating the knife blade (first good metal item I found in the drawer...) over a flame and using it to melt and seal the back of the grease tube!
Next time try a binder clip. It will crimp it closed while heating enough to melt the plastic of the tube
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote