Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
bellcon

2008 Year End and Santa Rosa on the Black Pearl

Kayak fishing is special to me.
I put my first rod holder on one of my kayaks a couple of years ago. My passion and desire to be on the water has only grown since.
This year I managed to get out there 37 times, more than ever before, less than I would have liked to. With a wife and 4 kids and running my own business, time is my most valuable commodity.
It is often said that fishing is about more than just catching fish, but deep down inside I want the trophy just like the next guy, I have to admit though, kayak fishing as become about much more than the catch to me. The solitude, the camaraderie, the challenge, the spiritual experience, the serenity and more. Kayak fishing runs deep in my veins now and I see no end in sight.
I have made a lot of friends in the last couple of years and in 2008 in particular, I will be 46 years old in about a week and as we get older it seems friendships aren’t made as fast or as often as when we were kids. For this I am grateful to have had the chance to experience this sport to the degree I have.
I have been helped along the way by many people I have met, Kiyo, John, Josh, Dave and Iceman, to name a few. And I have laughed out loud reading post by guys I have yet to meet, especially our friend Phil.
And then there are the web sites, Baytubers is basically my home site, but given time I will be checked in at BWE, Sammons site, my new found favorite Jason’s site and all the others. It is impossible to but a value on the knowledge and experience I have gained by participating in these communities.
And how can I not mention Pal for all his writings and dedication to our sport.
Some of us joke about kayak fishing being an addiction, I don’t know, but with all the benefits I reap from my adventures I won’t be attending any kayak fishing 12 step programs in the near future. I have and have had my share of vices… this is one don’t plan on giving up any time soon.

With all this said you can see my motivation for trying to get out for one last trip in 2008.
Iceman summed up the Channel Island trip beautifully in his post so I will add very little.
Andy, Mike, Kurt, Ken, Eric, Joy, Ed and Steve it was great spending my 36th and 37th day on the water with you. It wasn’t a trophy weekend but it was an awesome time.
Thanks Andy for putting it together, and thanks to the wife for holding down the Bell6pac fort while I was away playing.
I will hear the Joy in Joy’s screams for along time after she hooked up that halibut .
I will not get the sight of Steve’s backward kayak waterskiing adventure out of my head for quite awhile either .
And I gotta say thanks again to big Mike for your service to this country,you are one of the reasons we can all be proud Americans
Kurt and Ken congrats on the jackpot fish. Eric congrats on the pending nuptials, you are one lucky man. And Ed you did real good old man you should be proud, hope I am going that strong in 20 years.
And lastly thanks to Captain Rick and his crew aboard the Black Pearl, you did a hell of a job and I look forward to fishing with you again in 2009.
Here are some pics of my last adventure of 2008 (unless I sneak out Wednesday )
Looking fer those few squid:

Our good weather prayers came true:

Andy and Mike getting ready to start the adventure:

Can you say glassy?

Some Island shots:

Ken fishing hard:

My first hook up:

Steve before the backwards incident:

Another calico...to deep and its stomach came out so he is dinner tonite:

Some random shots of our views:

Andy's Butt... one of 3 for the day?

Andy again:

Joyful Joy:

Bendo Kurt:

Mike working it:

I AM NOT A HALIBUT PUT ME BACK ARGH:

"Old man on the sea" Ed: (he kicked ass)

This guy was my first tree fish:

From the morning before... we sneak in and grab those 100 squid...:

The momma ship The Black Pearl:

Being blessed again by the weather:

Late night working back at the home port... these guys know what they are doing BIG time was fun to watch them in action, even though i was ready to pass out:

Andys bragging fish... way to go Andy!:

So thanks to all my new friends and to those I have yet to meet. I hope to see you all out there on the water. I pray you find life more abundant by enjoying Gods creation from the perspective of a floating piece of plastic.
May 2009 bring you peace and tight lines.
Don, Bellcon
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
erinoo

Great Pics my FRIEND...It was a great time..I'm sure Joy and I will see ya on the next one....Eric
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
landwhale

Don It was great getting to fish and spend time with you and all the others on the trip it was a trip to remember.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Edwaters
Junior

Great photos Big D. Nice meeting you as well as the others.

This was my first mother ship trip and won't be the last.

Hope to see everybody on the next trip.

Edwaters
Edwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
joyjiggin'

Don,
Thank you for posting those awesome photos! Those sunsets took my breath away. Thanks for putting into words of how we all feel about yak fishing, too. It IS an addiction. When I met Eric a year ago, I thought he was crazy when he told me he fished in a kayak. Now, I have more fishing tackle/lures than clothing and jewelry put together!
You are a great spokesperson for our sport and a great fisherman, too.
Looking forward to many more trips!!!
PS guys- sorry for all the screaming...that hali almost tipped my yak over!
Joy
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
bosco

Black Pearl Trip

Don, Thanks for posting those great pictures. I can't agree more about your insight on kayak fishing. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Happy New Years, bosco
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
LocoKayako

WTG Don. Very nice write up and pics.
Hope you get a few trophies in '09

Gabe
Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
GBF

NICE TRIP...AS ALWAYS YOU GUYS KICKED SOME BUTT!!

GBF
Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
fishdude

Great write up.Thanks for sharing.
And a big yes to thanking Mike Knott for our freedom
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
steveooo

Those are some Rad Pics. Lucky Score on the weather too!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote