Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
nacho66

Newbie Introduction

Hi all, I wanted to introduce myself. I have been interested in Kayak Fishing for quite some time, and after being a lurker for a few years finally purchased my PA14 in November last year (Great Price on CL helped). I will be using it to augment my physical therapy (Fun Therapy) since a motorcycle accident last year. I have been working on setting up the PA since. So far I have changed to a Elite 5DSI, added Yak Attack Rails, and an H-Bar to assist in standing when needed. During the Fred Hall show my wife expressed interest in Kayaking with me and we put a deposit on a Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 13 with the guys at OEX. Well we got the call Thursday that her Yak was available, we went down to OEX yesterday and picked up the Slayer. They guys down there were great, Grant and the other gent took care of us. They help me carry it down to the beach for the wives maiden voyage. Overall we had a great day on the water, her on her new slayer and me on the PA. I will try and update with photos when I can. I want to thank all the people on this forum for sharing their information and a Big Thank you to all the folks at OEX!! I can only remember a few, CJ, Brent and Grant for keeping us updated Thanks look forward to meeting more on the forum. Cheers, Mark aka: Nacho.
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
JeffB

Welcome aboard!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
FISH11

Welcome to the most relaxing and rewarding Hobby.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Amish Ed

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Welcome, look around through the forums. Use search to find just about any advice you will need. But please, once you really start getting into the fishing, post your own experiences, reports, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't find the answers in previous posts. We all learn from each other on this site, and I feel that too many guys lurk around without posting themselves. Do yourself a favor and contribute to this awesome site and community. It will be paid forward to you.

I do have one question for you mark. Do you plan on fishing freshwater? Bays? Open ocean eventually?
The reason I ask is because of your choice of fishfinder. I have an elite 5 hdi which has downscan but also traditional sonar. The downscan works great for the bays and freshwater, however in the open ocean (when you get to that point) it may be a little tricky only having the DSI. Something you might want to look into so that you're not needing to upgrade right off the bat.

Good luck and tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
momo fish

Yup agree. I recently returned my DSI unit for a traditional unit. DSI is great in shallow water under 80feet but useless over. HDI or hds seems better for kayaking the ocean.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
nacho66

All, thanks for the support, YakDout, my PA14 originally came with an Elite-4 DSI upgraded the head unit as all cabling was there. Agree with you and Momo that an HDI would be better. That being said I need to save some quid now that I have another Yak to configure. My intention is to get a 5 HDI hard wired into the PA and get the box setup from OEX on the Slayer..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote