Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
Platano
Junior

Fast trolling hard baits?

So I'm a noobie to the sport of yak fishing. And every time I walk into a shop looking for trolling hard baits, they point me to some beefy Magnums that read "for fast trolling". My common sense tells me there isn't "fast trolling" in the yak world.

So do they still work? Or should I stay away from them?

Thanks.
Platano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
taggermike

Its difficult to troll the big CD rapalas, yo-zuri hydro mags, and bigger x-raps fast enough to make the work or swim correctly. Some of the smaller sized above plugs can work on a yak tho. The shallow or medium divers ate easier to troll than the huge billed deep divers. Plugs designed for casting rather than boat trolling are better for Kayak trolling. Not plug, but Plastic swimbaits are easy to troll from a kayak and do get bit. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Rapala CD 14s used to be really popular for the yak, The Broken back Rebels work well. I like Yozuri Crystal Minnows.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Somebody I know (not on bwe) got a 120lb thresher last weekend with a rapala magnum 30. It's ironic you posted this because I was thinking of picking one up! Last time out, I lost 4 sardines trolling, and probably wasted a lot of time trolling a bare hook, lol!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

I use the War Baits 3 oz jig head in any color but red lately with at least a 7 inch MC swimbait..no problems..and NO FKN SEA LIONS!
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
PapaDave

Try some of the smaller rapalas or luckycraft 110's, those have been doing well for calicos when I troll them over the kelp.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Rapala magnum 20 in bonito is an awesome bait. Most of the fish I hooked in Baja last year were on the bigger rapalas and hydromags. They work no problem from the kayak. When you see your rod tip bouncing up and down in a fast manner, you definitely know you have enough speed to make the jig swim. 3.5 to 4 mph is plenty. When I was in abreojos 2 years ago we made a pass over a reef holding broomtail grouper in one of the local pangas. The captain saw marks on the FF and slowed the boat way down for the next pass around. We were almost at idle speed when the Magnum 30 got pounded. 80 lb broomtail grouper hookup. How much line that is out plays a factor with how they swim as well. I have a lot of faith in the Rapalas and hydromags because I have been so successful with them.

One other one to try is the the Bomber. Plastic lip is a little wider so you are able to get by with slower speeds. They are the Bomb (no Pun intented )

http://www.basspro.com/Bomber-Saltwa...duct/10208093/
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Fishin Phil

Not a hard bait but it swims like a real fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngB-ORuWdm8
Old 07-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
tamddo714

have had luck trolling a lucky craft 120dd for spotties but was hoping for halibut.
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Phil View Post
Not a hard bait but it swims like a real fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngB-ORuWdm8
Now in double the size! Yellowtail have been going for the big baits it seems.

https://youtu.be/yGOy27A46Hg
Old 07-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I suppose every fishery is a little different but down here in Asuncion, and pretty much every place I have been in Baja, the locals will not do any other kind of fishing other than fast trolling hard baits. I myself have had zero luck on yellows with the large Rapala. I will pick up Bonito, Barracuda, and calicos but not a single yellow so far, and I think it has to do with the speed. I can pull a magnum Rapala at 3.5 to 4 mph for hrs at a time but the pangeros troll at 5 to 8 mph. Earlier this week I was in a zone where there were tons of yellows and the pangeros couldn't go 100 yards without being stopped but I could not get a biter on the same bait they were using. Had to be the speed difference.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote