Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #21
Sherm

I got my 1st Yt on my seventh yak trip out. I think you are do. Sounds like you had great times on the water with a lot of scenery. Sounds like good times to me.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
anjcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyHill View Post
i have fished la jolla 5 times in the last 2 weeks. ive got skunked every time. ive launched into the darkness and fished into the darkness. made bait. trolled one high and one low. I threw the iron a thousand times. each day i drifted a new line off the point. i dont have a fish finder yet so i dont really no my depths. but i coverd alot of water. there was tons of bait today. lots of dolphins and seals. lots of bird activity. no fish. each trip out ive seen whales all moving south. the weather is perfect. ill be back out there on thursday.
Let's make KennyHill feels better. How many trips it take you to get your first yellowtail or WSB?.

It took me 10 months (40+ times OTW) to hit a school of WSB at Newport.
anjcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
KennyHill

dont get me wrong. i have a blast every time i go out. fish or no fish. i love kayak fishing and will continue to do it as long as im breathing. i no my day will come. every trip out is just another learning experience.
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #24
Zed
BANNED

Solution:
Don't go.

There was a lot of that day.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #25
Geoffkoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
Spot on with the diapers coment
+1
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #26
KennyHill

for those of you that cant make it out right now. ill show you how nice it is.

out off the point nice and early. and solo

Smelt are always there. perfect hali bait.

Then i found myself sitting under the biggest bait ball ive ever seen all macks. i thought i was gana hook up here. this was just before night fall.
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #27
ttn333
Junior

Wish I was out there not catching fish, right now.
ttn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
T Bone

I am yet another LJ YT virgin.I am going to put in the time(And miles on my truck) the rest is up to the fish.After all is said and done even the best fisherman cant MAKE a fish bite.You just present the best bait in the best way and the fish do the rest.
I was blessed enough to get to fish Alijos Rocks a few years ago.Doing the dropper loop at night with straight 80# and scad mackrel.I caught several YT with the biggest being only 25#.Meanwhile the guy on my right gets a 60#er and the guy on my left gets(I kid you not) an 84.4# YT (4th largest on record).I remember actually being mad about it for a bit,afterall I was doing exactly what they did.I had a great trip though and got over it real fast because the next day was a ripper.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #29
Sherm

Great pics from the water. That's about as nice a day as you can get. For not getting fish that is. The night was good too.

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #30
Dennis

Damn Kenny, those are some awesome pictures. I told myself that I'd take more pictures while fishing LJ this year, but I've been too busy.

J/K..

You'll get yours bro, no worries.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #31
T Bone

The one that missed my hook.This guy was to my left about 8 ft both of us fishing dropper loop mackrel.This fish went 84.4#.If it was eating better I think it would have broke 100#...
It wasnt a bad trip for a 7 day,I just daydream sometimes about what it would have been like for that fish to have hit MY bait.All of us will get our shot.
Attached Images

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #32
Dennis

That yellow is huge! I would love to pull on those fish... How many days was that trip?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #33
T Bone

7 days.5 days of great fishing.I want to catch a few of these guys out of the Yak.This is not meant to be a hijack to the post just that at the time the guy had that monster YT all I had in the hold was a few smallish YT and I was kinda bummed.The next day I was rewarded.I keep reminding myself that everytime I make the 110 mile trip to LJ.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
yakrider

now I see why they do the ...

F'n Arne!!!!!

is there a story behind that? do tell....

or is it that he is just a YT magnet...like Josh...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #35
ezcompany

at least you spend time on the water!
living in Los Angeles and only using a temporary kayak rack on my leased car, its too difficult for me
ezcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #36
taggermike

LJ is tough this time of year. Hell, fishing is tough this time of year. Most fish are deep, or have lock jaw, or have migrated out of the area. How often does a cold blooded animal need to eat in 55 degree water. And to compound that the fish that are around are closed to take. So that means that the available fish in LJ are basicly YT, halibut, sand dabs, calico/sand bass, sculpin and sheephead. And these species are not in feeding mode generally until the squid show up. So what to do? Like one poster said, you can stay home. You can learn to target halis, sheephead, or deep water calicos. You can keep grinding away on the yo-yo with an optimistic attitude until the YT decide to eat. Or you can go some where else to fish. It wasn't trophy fishing but I caught 8 or so spotties and 2 bairly not legal halibut way in the back of south bay 2 days ago. 6lb test, 4 feet of water, it was fun. In December down there I caught my first bone fish after fishing SD bay for almost 40 years. Not as fun as a big LJ YT, but still fun. Get creative. Just keep the faith and keep fishing. When things do start to happen you will be diled in and ready. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #37
Matt
Support your local pangas

Iron time math..... a good friend once told me you will get a shot at a big fish on iron once out of every eight times you yo-yo, fortunately or unfortunately I have found this to be very true!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #38
dorado50

Back in the day, before I got into kayak fishing, during the winter months when the palegics left town I would get out the bass rods and practice C & R on bass. Usually off the dock at Harbor Island and Shelter Island. This is a great way to practice your hook sets and angleing skills. I would spend every hour of high tide that I could fishing these bass. Year after year I would do this and each year hopefully I would learn alittle more and alittle more! You can use bass fishing as a way to enhance your fishing skills, it sure worked for me as well it could work for you. During the winter months keep fishing no matter where. Your skills at catching small fish will transfer over to the sucessful catching of palegics, I guarantee it....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #39
Vikingj

Nice truck load of "sea kittens", T-bone. Big MEOOW!
As for me- 11 LJ trips over 2 yrs and no YT or WSB landed. But, the suspense, enthusiasm, hope, and excitement before each trip prevents me from sleeping the 1-2 nights prior. LJ is a magical place, with or without catching big fish (although I would REALLY like to find out what it is like by hooking on to that big one!)

Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #40
fishchaser25

its coming brother i can feel it.