Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
TJones

dumping grounds

can anyone help with launch directions to cabrillo ? possibly where to paddle from there? any information would be greatly appreciatted . thanks.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
tagyak

look up 3720 stephen m white dr, the telephone 310 542 7562.
my buddy and i are going to be out there on sunday morning around 6-7 am. if you want to join up you'd be welcome to. this will be the maiden voyage for my buddy.
let me know.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
TJones

are hanging it up

selling kayak?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
TJones

thanks

i found it today. rode down on my bike. scoped it out and stopped off at kayak shop, while in town. where do you fish ? kelp beds on right of beach?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
i found it today. rode down on my bike. scoped it out and stopped off at kayak shop, while in town. where do you fish ? kelp beds on right of beach?

The kelp beds hold a sh*t load of Calico's but beware of the launch area, it can go from to to to in no time.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
TJones

calicos are nice

but im looking for some nice butt. or . anyone ever catch sea bass outta there? where do i search for halibuts?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Be carefull PV is a mpa area.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
but im looking for some nice butt. or . anyone ever catch sea bass outta there? where do i search for halibuts?
On the bottom I think...
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Iebadboy

Were is cabrillo?
Iebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
GregAndrew

TJ, anywhere inside the harbor can be good for Halibut at any given time. Best bet is to cover a lot of ground until you find one. It would be a long paddle to get to the new MPA at PT. Vincente launching out of Cabrillo.

IE, Cabrillo beach is in San Pedro.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #11
TJones

thanks

appreciate information from everyone. i was not aware of closure. anyone have an idea of how long breakwater is? do most people launch from protected beach and fish harbor? or launch on open ocean side and fish the beds? i think someone had mentioned that it was a long paddle from protected side to the open water , and to the kelp beds. how many miles give or take?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
i was not aware of closure
That's about as bad as me not knowing that 27" is less than 28"

Quote:
anyone have an idea of how long breakwater is?
If you have to ask then.............If you haven't received your fair share of warning about the winds at Cabrillo consider this your first official warning.

A clear day

http://youtu.be/QzkbjeE14dI

A stormy day

http://youtu.be/Boj8PNnqH-k

Quote:
do most people launch from protected beach and fish harbor?
You can launch from either place. launching from the beach means you might be dragging your yak through sand, launching at the boat ramp means you might add some marks to the bottom of your yak. If you decide to launch at the boat ramp launch on the opposite side of the docks closer to the rocks so that you stay away from the boat that are launching/landing.

Quote:
or launch on open ocean side and fish the beds?
I would keep an eye on the surf report and wind conditions but more than anything you need to know where the MPA's are.

Quote:
i think someone had mentioned that it was a long paddle from protected side to the open water , and to the kelp beds. how many miles give or take?
I believe the paddle from the launch to Angels gate is roughly 2-3 miles, turn the corner and its another 2-3miles to the kelp beds. If its your first time there I would stay inside the harbor. All kidding aside, the winds get nasty there. GregAndrew, Bellcon and Ful-rac can yell you first hand what its like to paddle in those headwinds. It takes a lot of strength and stamina to get back to the launch. There are days when the winds ripping in the morning and non-existent in the afternoon but there are also days when the opposite is true.

Stay close to Tagyak....if you need to get towed he can tow you back on his Hobie.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
TJones

why are you not sleeping george

thanks for help. i forgot to mention i am a beer drinker , and i float on a hobie, with one hand on a cold one. my paddling skills are crap. that is still a long paddle to beds round trip. i have been to la jolla a handful of times , and when it gets rough over there it can be nasty also. ripping current. thanks again for all input. i am gonna check it out soon .
Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
GregAndrew

The open water side is a shore break that can be nasty at times, but the further West you walk along the beach the easier the launch. That is the side to launch from to fish the kelp beds though. If you intend to target bass, then I would recommend that you fish the second leg of the breakwall. Creature plastics are killer there, and fish right on the rocks with buttoned drag.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
TJones

thx Greg

for inside tips . i am located in sf valley. not sure where i can fish in malibu , so i thought of trying san pedro. figures some of that would be on lock down also.