Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Now it just needs a nice bank of rod holders. Sweet tank, the paint is a nice touch, really clean looking.

The PA should do fine, unless you're a 400 lb gorilla man.
Maybe im pessimistic because imma 400lb gorilla man

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #22
lbsurf2ca

Great Job man. Thats clean.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #23
Caffeind

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Maybe im pessimistic because imma 400lb gorilla man
Grew into those waders eh?
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyblanco View Post
I hate negativity but,I got my money that it's not gonna hold.i have same size rigged on my sea doo rxt and when I reach over to get bait,I gotta watch my balance.let alone a kayak.i recommend you go with the hobie.i was putting it off and made a few livewells and I probably drop the same amount than if would of just got the hobie well.talk to Andy and maybe you can put one on lay-away.you should do a test run first with no gear.if you are going Monday, I will try to meet Amish Ed at Dana point around 6:am.
i could be down to join you guys at dana if you guys are gonna go monday.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #25
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Grew into those waders eh?
Nah man, the waders shrunk!

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
TJones

sweeeeeet

bait , beer , :wsb
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #27
roadx

just a tip for future builders

im not a plumber but most flipper style check valves needs to be in a vertical position.
if the check valve is horizontal, the check valve needs to be oriented to where the check valve is hinged from the top

something like this

Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #28
THE DARKHORSE

Nice work...

The tank looks great. Being that you're fishing off the most stable kayak ever made---I wouldn't be too concerned about the tanks center of gravity. If a 230 lb man can stand on the thing in rough conditions (for hours on end), that little tank won't even be noticed. Well, as far as a difference in stability anyway.

Your biggest problem is going to be guys coming over assuming you have a case of ice-cold beer!

Side note: If it were me, though, the first thing I'd do is cut off that pump (save it for a back-up) and put an Attwood or similar in the scupper hole. That would eliminate any annoying-drag associated with a pump over the side. I suppose it depends on what exactly you'll be targeting and where. If you're traveling relatively short distances and say bottom fishing for Halibut, the tank's great as is. If you're traveling ten times that distance in a day (through heavy current), say targeting Yellowtail---not so much.

Maybe go ahead and enjoy the fruits of your labor for a while, hell even catch a couple fish, then set up a pump through the scupper hole. There's no drilling required; it would take you five minutes to have a far superior tank in my opinion. No drag, no catching on kelp and such. Simple as pie.

Feel free to shoot me a private message if you have any questions about the quick and easy upgrade. It would probably be easier than recreating the wheel yourself. Personally, I love the Hobie tank, but I could send you some photos of what I did (back in the day).

In my professional opinion, the only time you want more drag is on your reel when fighting Yellowtail.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #29
MWC359

Just got back from Arkansas last night and read the posts. If you could send me photos that would be great...I dont want any drag if possible. and reguarding the back flow it works great I tried it set up just like it is in my front yard and it didnt leak a drop when i would shut the pump off.

I used the big box because It was sitting in my garage forever and it fit perfect in the well. All in all if it becomes unstable I still have a good fish box or dry storage.....I could just troll around selling beer on the water..... Im sure thats a sure thing money maker.......Thanks for you comments guys
MWC359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #30
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Did it work?

Let us know.Knowledge is power
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
J3FFro

You should consider adding hinges to the cooler cover. I have a similar cooler at home and the darn top cover keeps coming off. Just my 2cents.

Nice work!
J3FFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
MWC359

Thats a good idea Ive noticed if it opens to far it will roll out of the molded groove
Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #33
MWC359

Well I tested my tank on the water today..... Calm water .... The water level could stand to be about two inches lower good active baits might see freedom when the lid was opened. Other then that it worked great......I could stand with no problem, completely stable. The cost of garage research and development.....