Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
MWC359

It will never happen to me NAWT

Decided to take a couple hour fishing trip to a local pond with the idea that i was mainly going to try out the new bait tank. Well one thing lead to another and I the trout and it was on. Started to get warm so I took my waders off. Because I didnt secure the waders one fell off and was now floating away. Not wanting to lose them I quiickly started reeling in lines resulting in two major tangled lines. with hooks still in the water.

With my boot floating lower and lower I decided to yank up my anchor line while peddling my PA around.

Now for the dumb part

While turning the PA around the still in the water hooks snagged my anchor line while I was rippin the anchor line in. While keeping my eye on my wader boot I suddenly felt the never pleasent feel of a treble trout hook bury itself into my left thumb. this was not good since the yak was still moving and my thumb was now attacked to the anchor line.

My attached thumb was on my left and the anchor was on the right so arm pulled across chest. Having just bought a new PFD I didnt attach my knife or pliers yet. Eventually got my wader by holding holding the anchor with arm across chest crossing my right arm across my chest to use rudder and peddle over to boot. Not the most dignified day on the water.
Glad I live close to lake.

Dove home with hook and six inches of anchor line attached to thumb. Worst part was explaining to wife how I decorated my thumb. An ice pack and a rair or kneedle nose plyers ended my hook problem. I wont go into the new language I invented while pulling that dang thing out of my thumb.

Lesson learned....Keep your knife on your body and store your stuff correctly. Enough humiliation for now.

Needed sons help lifting yak out of the water and into the truck.
MWC359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
driftwood

So you had three lines in the water? Anchor line and two fishimg lines?

WOW!t that is a good Recipe for a Disaster. Its a good thing you were in a lake and not the open ocean.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
MWC359

Very true major case of HUA..... worst thing is my typing I didnt save my edit job before posting sorry
MWC359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Look for landwhales post, there is a link in there on how to get the hook out quick and painless.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
gupppy

can you imagine if you had to paddle? lol
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote