Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2005, 05:57 AM   #1
Baggard
Baggard

Battery Question?

I am setting up a Bait tank and I have a 2 amp charger. and I bought a pump from Wall Mart about Elevin bucks. What Battery should I buy? and where and how much should it cost?
Baggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Lit-up1

Battery-

Batteries plus at Rosecrans and Sports Arena Blvd. has 12V that will do the job. Next door to Chipotle.

Dave
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Jimm H

It all depends...

Obviously, you are going to buy a 12V battery, as that is what the pump runs on. The real question is what capacity in AMPS or Amp-Hours.

If your pump consumes 1 amp, then a 7 amp battery (such as the sealed lead-acid types used for home.businesss alarm systems) will ideally yield 7 hours of operation. In reality, that batttery will probably only provide enough for 5-6 hours. But, if you switch your tank off periodically, or use a pwm controller* to limit current draw and water flow, you battery will last a lot longer.

Used Sealed Lead Acids can be acquired in San Diego for about $10 from INDUSTRIAL LIQUIDATORS on Convoy Street (across form the Dixieline). Typically, used SLA batteries are good quality because state law requires the batteries on fire alarm systems be changed every 6 months.

New batteries are 3 times as much at Batteries Plus, but you may desire new.

Walmart sells small 12V batteries for ride-on lawnmowers, motorcycles, etc for $20. They are traditional automotive-style wet cells that you fill with acid when you first open them (battery acid included).

For a charger, get one with an automatic charge circuit that detects when the battery is fully charged. Otherwise, you will eventually overcharge your battery and ruin it. (been there-done that).

*PWM- Pulse Width Modulation.... a circuit that limits current use in a DC circuit by providing a variably-controlled dc pulse output to power the dc device. The output is still the required 12V, but is current-limited to save energy. Kits are about $25 at Gateway Electronics (Chesapeake Dr. in Kearny Mesa). They are manufactured by Velleman.

Personally, I would minimize the electronics on the kayak and just use a manual switch to control running the pump. Just more to fail.

Hope that helps
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
Kevin

Re: It all depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H
*PWM- Pulse Width Modulation.... a circuit that limits current use in a DC circuit by providing a variably-controlled dc pulse output to power the dc device. The output is still the required 12V, but is current-limited to save energy. Kits are about $25 at Gateway Electronics (Chesapeake Dr. in Kearny Mesa). They are manufactured by Velleman.

Personally, I would minimize the electronics on the kayak and just use a manual switch to control running the pump. Just more to fail.
A better way to go is to use a 6V sealed lead acid battery(10 or 12 AH). Using this with a 350 or even 500 gph submersible bildge pump will get you a full day with out having to use a PWM or a manually limiting the flow. I've been using a 10 AH 6V battery for a few years now and I have no complaints.

Please note that the 6V solution doesn't work as well with the aerator style pumps. The flow is considerable less in those applications.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
Razorback

http://www.batteries.com/productprof...p?appid=265092

Great charger / conditioner. I have around 8 batteries to constantly recharge and this unit is fool proof.
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

HOOK 1

Don't forget Hook 1, good prices, and they send this stuff out QUICK!!! I prefer the 6v battery for my atwood pump, not as heavy to lug around, slower flow. I bought their Battery charger for $22 works good on both 6v bait tank, and 12v Fish finder batteries. It is also a floating charger, so it won't over charge, and blow up your battery. I sound like a commercial... :lol:

Hook 1 Battery & Charger

Chris 8)
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Razorback

Good Link Holy Mack....

I will use Hook1 for sure - rather give the biz to a fellow yakker. Esp. one who sponsors our local charity tourneys.

Thanks
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
norrinradd12

Send a message via AIM to norrinradd12 Send a message via Yahoo to norrinradd12
radio shack has 12v 7amp batteries on sale for $15.00
norrinradd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:25 AM   #9
Baggard
Baggard

Good lookin out!

thanks every one. Ill be on the water without the yellow bucket soon. thanks again for all the good advice.
Baggard is offline   Reply With Quote