Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
TYLER MM
Junior

Lookin for some advice

Hey everybody, I'm brand new to kayak fishin and just recently bought a Stealth 12 during the OEX sale up in LA. The only thing I've had done is hookin up the livewell which was installed at OEX in Mission Bay. Only 2 trips under my belt. Once in Mission Bay and once in SD Bay. Mission bay was a good trip with no trouble but SD Bay was a real wake up call to the risk out there. While out there I grabbed a scoop of bait and after an hour or so of fishin the kayak starts feelin different a little heavy I guess. And without understanding how I realize I'm takin on some serious water now cuz I'm sinkin. Not extremely fast but I'm goin down. I manage to get to shore, open up the hatch and the hull is about 1/2 full of water. After reading a few of the other posts, it sounds like it's the bait pump pumpin to much water in to fast. Is a timing switch the right fix for this? And is that the only thing I would need for this. Oh and a bilge pump. Thanks guys
TYLER MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Gino

If your sinking that fast it aint the stealth bait tank... Id suggest taking it to a Malibu dealer (OEX) and see what they can find.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
bubblehide

I recall reading a post somewhere, where it turned out that the pump was pumping directly into the hull. If I recall correctly, a hose came lose. Take it to OEX, they'll take care of you, as they stand behind their products and their work.

If it was me, I'd see Andy at the Sunset Beach OEX.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
tony

-Double check where pump goes thru hull
-Double check hose from pump to aerator
-Double check where aerator goes thru bait tank
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
TYLER MM
Junior

Ok thanks for the feedback fellas. It's much appreciated
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

You should be able to regulate with the adjustable aerator head, twisting it clockwise constricts the opening. You can completely close it with this. You do not want that tank overflowing. How are you allowing outflow?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
TYLER MM
Junior

Yea I made sure of that. I adjusted it to make for a good flow but not allowing it to overflow. That was the first thing I did when I turned it on before I got bait, and the first thing I checked when I realized what was goin on.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
tony

If it's not pump/hull seal, aerator/bait tank seal, or hose clamps....
Check all scupper hole tubes for cracks. Sometimes people crank down way too hard with roof rack straps and this may crack scuppers or they might have a defect to begin with.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
old_rookie

Get a hand powered floating bilge pump.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
TYLER MM
Junior

Ok i'll make sure to check that out. If that's not the case and all seals, clamps, etc. are good is it possible I just need a timing switch?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
tony

Probably not.....the worry with over flowing is too much water going over those side hatches and leaking in. But if that is not obvious, and considering your yak was half full while in the bay, it has to be one of the other things mentioned earlier...
Why would you say timing switch if water is flowing out into the scupper holes in front of bait tank?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
ctrujillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLER MM View Post
Hey everybody, I'm brand new to kayak fishin and just recently bought a Stealth 12 during the OEX sale up in LA. The only thing I've had done is hookin up the livewell which was installed at OEX in Mission Bay. Only 2 trips under my belt. Once in Mission Bay and once in SD Bay. Mission bay was a good trip with no trouble but SD Bay was a real wake up call to the risk out there. While out there I grabbed a scoop of bait and after an hour or so of fishin the kayak starts feelin different a little heavy I guess. And without understanding how I realize I'm takin on some serious water now cuz I'm sinkin. Not extremely fast but I'm goin down. I manage to get to shore, open up the hatch and the hull is about 1/2 full of water. After reading a few of the other posts, it sounds like it's the bait pump pumpin to much water in to fast. Is a timing switch the right fix for this? And is that the only thing I would need for this. Oh and a bilge pump. Thanks guys
my buddy picked up a stealth 14 at the same sale.went out on maiden trip and had the same proublem yak was more than half full of water.what had happend was that there is two black plates in front of tank if they are not removed water will over flow thru top of tank and thru top hatches into hull.another thing to look for is the two scuppers under the seat have plugs in them witch really gave the water no place to go but fill up and down the hatches.he ended up drilling two 1/2 inch holes in each plate and the tank is good to go.you also want to make shure you get a hand bilge pump for that kind of emergency.hope it works out to just be a simple fix for you.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
j mo

Seems to be a common occurance, I know many a yaker w "wet" Malibu's
take it into OEX best to have a pro look into it

Last edited by j mo; 11-12-2010 at 07:44 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
TYLER MM
Junior

Ctrujillo - When OEX installed the livewell kit they drilled the two holes your talkin about so those are there. I think I'm just goin to take it to a pool and try to figure out what's goin on
Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
SteveK
Junior

Hull to pump is most likey the problem , anything outside of the hull should be ok, but also check the hose clamps, throw the white ones away and install stainless automotive type
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
Jimmyz123

I think your fix ideas are great. Call it overkill if you want but I will be installing a bilge pump on my kayak to avoid exactly what you are talking about. Having that is worth the extra battery weight.

Also check out Youtube, I recall seeing a video about the Stealth Bait tank installation that CJ did and he talks about the over flow holes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snGUpj2MAao
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
Matt
Support your local pangas

Defintiely go see CJ/Brian they are the holy masters of yak fixes!!! And just fyi Malibu definitely stands behind their yaks!!!