Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Riskey Water

Hobie E-Volve ??? Looking to Buy

Looking to buy the E-Volve , broke my leg back in March,it's healed but get the tingle when peddling my Hobie Adventure .I know you're thinking to paddle more ,but that's not an option with ALL the INJURIES my body has had to suffer through with the stupidity of youth to the age of 46 .Has anyone dropped the Dime on this unit and What do you Think. Whats the true run time ,and Pros and Cons of this Unit .Thanks for your time and opinions ,Riskey
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
romspacenut

I think it would be an awesome addition to your Hobie BUT the biggest con would be the price.
romspacenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Jzo

Seem pricey. Here is the link to other option

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-System/Detail

Call them see if you can get it installed for your ride.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
sdcityboy

have you seen this? called stealth serpent http://stealthserpent.com/

Last edited by sdcityboy; 11-11-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added address
sdcityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
tagyak

that is cool. do you have one? i noticed that this is in Australia, is there a retailer here in the US?
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcityboy View Post
have you seen this? called stealth serpent http://stealthserpent.com/

Aye Carumba, that cassette is not going to hold up for long even with that little bit of reinforcement. You can steer with the rudder so the whole control up top is unnessary.

Lithium battery is the big cost factor, if you don't mind a little extra weight go with conventional deep cycle. Bass yaks uses a pulse modulator(?) that extends the battery life
Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Use it or loose it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskey Water View Post
Looking to buy the E-Volve , broke my leg back in March,it's healed but get the tingle when peddling my Hobie Adventure .I know you're thinking to paddle more ,but that's not an option with ALL the INJURIES my body has had to suffer through with the stupidity of youth to the age of 46 .Has anyone dropped the Dime on this unit and What do you Think. Whats the true run time ,and Pros and Cons of this Unit .Thanks for your time and opinions ,Riskey

I don't know crap about the E-volve, but being an older myself, I hear a lot of that kind of stuff from my friends. That they are getting too old or that their past injuries keep them from doing things. My take is if you want to live a longer better life you have to put in the time and stay in shape. I'm on facebook now and I have all those old friends from highschool looking me up and saying hello. Most of them look like they are fifty to sixty even a hundred pounds overweight and headed straight for a nursing home. In contrast I wear the same size jeans I wore in highschool, and my last girlfreinds said the only thing that looks my age is my hands...

It's like a skateboard on level ground, if your not kicking yourself forward and putting in the effort, your loosing ground.

If your leg tingles now it's going to be a whole lot worse down the road if you quit using it. I'd say at least 60% of how we age is about mentality, how we see ourselves makes us what we are. If you think you are too old to to do the things you love you certainly will be. Basically my take is you got to push back and keep going through the pain, because once you stop you are done.

I'll admit it: I'm now fifty, but it beats the alternative and I still have a lot of years left to have fun. Keep peddling or paddling if you can, part of the beauty of this sport is it's good for you, even if it does make you sore at the end of the day.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Just the fallen getting deeper into the dark

i did this Bassyaks set up last year

Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Riskey Water

Sorry Jim but I'm not one of those guys that put on the extra 100 lbs. I am a career swimmer who gets up at 4:45 am and swims 5,000 yds in an olympic size pool 5 Days a week with a resting heart rate of 32 bpm and a bp of 117 over 68 , My doctor told me to lighten up on the cycling and peddling .Had to hang up the Triathalon workouts but still surfing . I'm just trying to extend the warranty on this body . The E-Volve alternatives look nice but looking for feedback on the E-Volve itself
Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Riskey Water

Hey Iceman , thats a clean set-up you got there ,did you install it yourself ?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Sorry Jim but I'm not one of those guys that put on the extra 100 lbs. I am a career swimmer who gets up at 4:45 am and swims 5,000 yds in an olympic size pool 5 Days a week with a resting heart rate of 32 bpm and a bp of 117 over 68 , My doctor told me to lighten up on the cycling and peddling .Had to hang up the Triathalon workouts but still surfing . I'm just trying to extend the warranty on this body . The E-Volve alternatives look nice but looking for feedback on the E-Volve itself
It's cool... I give that same advice to all my friends. Sorry if it seemed heavy handed. It's a battle everyone goes through it. I've had to change my diet quite a bit over the last decade, and give up running do to knee issues but kayaking is one way I still keep in shape. My big issue is I get joint pain in my left shoulder from working a rod. Not so much with big fish, but more like little things like jigging Iron.

Good luck, Jim
Old 11-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Hey Iceman , thats a clean set-up you got there ,did you install it yourself ?
This was a customer's yak. He purchased the Bassyak's motor set up and asked me to install it.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-System/Detail

http://www.bassyaks.com/about17.html
Old 11-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
SteveK
Junior

Thanks Iceman, Riskey ,Looking to buy the E-Volve, that should be the last choice of everything out there. The gear noise and lack of runtime should make up your mind in a hurry. try one before you order one. Another thing, it may have a higher top speed than most but that's NOT a good thing, as kayaks don't plain out and the faster you go the higher the bow goes and the LOWER the tankwell goes, THAN YOU SINK! , that's right the tankwell fills when you get into the higher speed, somewhere around 5mph is where you want to be.
Why Bassyaks and not the others
1. Price
2. Over 60 different kits designed for specific kayaks, not universal
3. Remove the motor in 10 seconds, for transporting
4. The motor can be raised and lowered from the seat
5. The motor can be tilted to gain ground clearance, from the seat.
6. The motor can be run as a surface prop, also effective for removing weeds from the prop something you can't do with the Torque, or Torqeedo
7. Directional rear propulsion is the ONLY way to go. FMD LOL
8. Almost unlimited run time, using any 12 volt battery, even multiple batteries
9. Quite, no whine like the Torqeedo, No vibration like the Torque
10. Can be surf launched, can be beached without damage.
11. Can be dry launched, no standing in the water to launch, no need to walk the kayak to a 10" depth like the Torque
12. Very low center of gravity, like a sailboat keel , no cavitation in rough seas
13. Self righting if capsized, which is very hard to do because of the pendulum effect of the motor
14. The best maneuvering EK out there.
15. The motor stays in prosecution when reverse is engaged
16. The motor is spring loaded and will jump to a safe position if an underwater obstacle is encountered, pull the lever and it will return to the normal position
17. The tank well is still useful
18. Clean factory looking setup.
19. The same battery can be used for all of your electronics, you need a separate 12volt battery for the Torqeedo
We will concede the Top Speed to Torqeedo, but if you go too fast the hydrodynamics will cause the kayak to SINK as the back of the kayak gets pulled under water, starting with the tank well filling with water. Under 6 MPH is where you want to be!
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

We seem to have two conversations going on here. I will comment on the age and fitness angle. I would bet that the tingling you have has something to do with the way you are sitting in the yak. If the legs still work and from the way you describe yourself, they must, I would try to find sitting position that does not put pressure on the nerve or blood vessel that is causing the problem. Try a different seat. Raise the seat a bit so your legs are at a different angle. You might even try some exotic treatments such as acupuncture.

As one the the more senior guys out there, (I will be 60 in a couple weeks), I can say that a full day on the water wears me out. The knees ache and the muscles burn. On the other hand, it is activities such as this that keep me from feeling my age most of the time.

I don't know anyone that has the E-volve but there are a couple of guys on this forum, Morgan, (Roosta) and Chris (Hypoxic), who have the stern mounted version. From what I have heard, they love them, especially for the long trips to and from the grounds. Personally, I would rather have the exercise and ward off the pain with a nice bottle of wine later on.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
Riskey Water

Hey DSafety ,thanks but I should have been more specific on the tingle in my leg ,its right on the the area of bone fracture , a spiral fracture of the lower tibia that didnt heal exactly straight ,3" above the ankle
Old 11-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #16
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Hey DSafety ,thanks but I should have been more specific on the tingle in my leg ,its right on the the area of bone fracture , a spiral fracture of the lower tibia that didnt heal exactly straight ,3" above the ankle
I don't have a fix for that... except for maybe the wine.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
bubblehide

Risky, I got injured pretty bad a few short years ago. I took a short break off of yaking (amongst other things), and slowly started getting back into it; I discovered that it was a bit early for me to be out there yaking. I went through times when both my legs would go numb and upon landing, I couldn't use my legs for a minute or two; luckly for me, I wasn't alone, and I always let the person(s) I was with know that I would be needing some assistance upon landing. I got that weird tingling feeling as I began to gain use of my legs again, it would subside after a while. After several months of that, I took another break from most everything for a few months; it seems to have done the trick, and I back at most everything (with some limitations). But I do have to constantly adjust my position on the yak, bend my knees, straighten my knees, through my feet over the side... Just keep at it at a pace that's good for you.

As for the E-volve, the only thing I know is that it looks cool; but that doesn't mean it's practical. But if you do get one, please let us know what you think of it.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #18
maui jim

All aches and pains go away after you have a good HOOKUP!!! thats what I noticed...
This thread is starting to sound like a Leasure World topic.\
Dont forget your AARP card
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #19
j mo

It’s amazing how threads get jacked, next thing you know you’re looking at someone else’s fish and reading a story about them....

Try Fastlane in SD for a test ride w the eVolve or OEX in Oside. My buddy has one and they are sick and nearly seamlessly integrate into the Hobie. In places like LJ where it takes time to get to the grounds/ and make bait you can cover a ton of ground fast and get way outside in no time if you see birds etc.

Don’t worry about the purists, anything that helps you stay on the water and enjoy your time out is worth the $

oh yeah and that Buddy who has the eVolve is one fishy mofo even w the evolve and I ve seen it open it up full throttle w a full live well and a 40lb fish on deck, he didnt look to be sinking

Last edited by j mo; 11-12-2010 at 07:36 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
This thread is starting to sound like a Leasure World topic. Dont forget your AARP card
Ouch!!!

....and I though I was being harsh