Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
RWErwin

PM fun in mid la jolla

Hi, this is my first post for the kayak forum. Ive had a little fun earlier this summer but nothing notworth so i thought id finally share.
Paddle out at Hogans around 2:30 in the heat of the mid day chop. Got a little beat up but the launch is easy there if you can get down the rocks. Anyways the plan was to take shelter in the kelp and fish dead squid on the dropper for calis and other assorted. no luck there so i hopped in the water with my dive gear and noticed there were bass everywhere. Got back in and started throwing the a b/w surface iron for a calico a cast. Most the fish were of very good quality with some over 26''. Full on calico bite for about 2 hours up until 7o clock, with a few cuda mixed in. Ive never seen bass act like that, the were boiling like tuna and just jetting around the surface everywhere. In the midst of the bite I happen to notice some larger size swirls that turned out to be about a 6' mako, a little freaky in the kelp but he got rid of the seals so cool. Last drift of the day (about an hour after the mako) to huge swirls and a giant boil on the mint iron and i was on big time. small pause and a huge run and i started cranking down the drag. Fought the fish for 2.5 hours on 40# with 65# spectra backing and couldnt stop it for long. then whammo my brand new jig stick breaks and the tips on the slide to the bottom....shortly after this thing gets tied up in the kelp but i could still feel him there, so i reluctantly dove in began chewing through some kelp in the dark, when i remembered that mako... 20 minutes later and had my rod tip and jig back with the three trebles completly parachuted out. bummed for quite a while but the fish of a lifetime for sure.... back on the beach by 9:45
end of the day: 50+ calicos, 3 baracuda and a broken rod/dignity
o well, monster BSB on the surface iron maybe? or a super homeguard yellow?

Last edited by RWErwin; 08-14-2007 at 01:15 PM.
RWErwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
lamb

Sounds like a lot of excitement, thanks for the report!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Billy V

Sounds like a full day of fun.

I might have hesitated jumping in to see after spotting a 6' mako though.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
frugalfisher

Nice effort!

Way to go! Chewing kelp and all!