Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Rotator Cuff Tendinitis?

Does anyone get a chronically sore shoulder from casting and reeling?

I enjoy my workout from kayak fishing and pedaling my Hobie Outback in the ocean very much. Regular exercise is a big part of the reason I like to fish. Normal sore muscles from a good day's workout goes away within a day or two.

My right shoulder has been slightly sore and stiff for about a year now and it lacks the flexibility of my other shoulder. I enjoy robust long distance casting, vigorous yo-yo'ing, etc., as part of my fishing workout and I'm wondering if it might be cumulative tendonitis rather than simple sore muscles from a good workout.

Anyone know what's going on with this?

BTW, I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore, so it might be age related as well. We can't be studly studs forever, right?

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-13-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
Murray

Adapt to your body is the key. Fortunately, you have a hobie. Stick to fishing techniques that do not cause damage. My last trip did me in. Between struggling on launch and fighting a way too big bsb, I have been laid up for over a month. Hope to get back on the water but will have to pick my days for surf and stay away from fish that mess me up.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
kirkdavis

If you look like your picture it is probably ugly eating you up from the inside out. On the serious side, Your rotator cuff might be worn out...should get it checked.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
If you look like your picture it is probably ugly eating you up from the inside out. On the serious side, Your rotator cuff might be worn out...should get it checked.
I usually don't wear lipstick and my hair is getting more gray. If you see a guy who looks like my photo loitering in the launch area, please come over and say "hi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
My last trip did me in. Between struggling on launch and fighting a way too big bsb, I have been laid up for over a month. Hope to get back on the water but will have to pick my days for surf and stay away from fish that mess me up.
When we are young we can catch and eat wild animals. When we get old, the wild animals can catch and eat us.

Yesterday's strong current to the south kicked my butt. I fell asleep when I got home.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-14-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
TheBoyScout

I'm probably the most qualified to answer this question. You probably don't do any stretching, myofascial release, corrective exercise etc. think of your body like a car. If you drive it (or don't) you need to do maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
I'm probably the most qualified to answer this question. You probably don't do any stretching, myofascial release, corrective exercise etc. think of your body like a car. If you drive it (or don't) you need to do maintenance
Can I work it away or rebuild with stretching and corrective exercise, supplements, etc., or is tendonitis a degenerative condition? I'm not sure it is tendonitis. It's not normal muscle fatigue of the moment.

No, I don't do any stretching in advance. Kayaking, fishing and pumping my leg pedals around for 10 miles is my favorite all-purpose cardiovascular exercise, and basically is my stretching exercise.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-13-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
TheBoyScout

Tendinitis is a very broad term. Tendon is part of the muscle so if the tendon is inflamed then the muscle needs to be fixed with ideally ART (active release technique) but at the very least myofascial release. Supplements won't help unless you wanna take a natural anti inflammatory like tumeric curcumin. No it's probably not degenerative just need maintenance. I'd be happy to treat you if you'd like and get you pain free. If you don't fix the issue eventually you'll get ligament damage and that can be irreversible sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
pingpangdang

Get a resistance band from any sporting goods store...smaller band with less resistance. Anchor it to something like a door. Increase resistance by stepping further from the anchor point.

Below is a video. I'd start out with the medial and lateral exercises until you gain some strength back in your rotator cuffs. Rep until you feel like your rotator cuff starts to fatigue/burn. get blood flowing in the area. Keep it controlled and slow.

I do these twice a day when I get injured. Within a few days the pain goes away. I kept doing them ever so often and I also get less injuries with a stronger rc.

There should be no extreme sharp pains or popping when you do these..if so adjust your angles or lessen resistance. If you still can't rep with out sharp pains don't try them see a physical therapist.

https://youtu.be/EY2tNBOmvGs

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
Orca Winfrey

Maybe a case of frozen shoulder?
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
blazian

If it's like me, it is Bursitis, the Bursais being impacted. The only relief I was able to get was to have a Cortison shot.
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
Harry Hill

my friend has had three shoulder surgeries on his left shoulder, after the last one the ligament that attaches the bicep to the bone came loose and they can't reattach it, so his bicep is knotted up like he is making a muscle all of the time. The shoulders are the worse to get surgery on so do everything you can to avoid that as long as you can.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 PM   #12
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Get a resistance band from any sporting goods store...smaller band with less resistance. Anchor it to something like a door. Increase resistance by stepping further from the anchor point.

https://youtu.be/EY2tNBOmvGs
Interesting.

Daily light stretching of whatever is making my shoulder stiff might be a good place to start and a good way to prep for more vigorous exercise when the time comes. I have a Total Gym in my back yard collecting dust. That might be good for shoulder stretching as well.

I'll try it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
If it's like me, it is Bursitis, the Bursais being impacted. The only relief I was able to get was to have a Cortison shot.
Also interesting. Never heard of this before.

This is precisely the location that's bugging me.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/arthritis-bursitis

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-14-2016 at 07:47 PM.