Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
bigbad5
Junior

Exclamation pelican yaks!!!!!!!

sooooo i just won a pelican kyaak, on a bet, would you recommend me fishuing off of it????? sorry fro the dumb question, im a roock
bigbad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
MrM

You can fish off a floating log if you really wanted! What model of Pelican is it?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
bigbad5
Junior

LOL

NO CLUE
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
bigbad5
Junior

APEX 116

APEX 116
Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
MrM

Yeah why not? Most everyone upgrades to a different kayak within the first couple years anyway, why not let your first be free? Add a couple rod holders, a good seat, and you're set.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Cbad Mike

What was the bet?
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
wthoms2000
Junior

Had one of those... check the scupper holes for seam leaks...
wthoms2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I have a Pelican 130T that I take into the bays when my wife wants to go with me. It's been pretty good. It is a very stable platform for anything you want to do, and water drains out pretty fast.

I have no complaints here except that finding a flat surface to mount rod holders, paddle clips, bungee tidedowns, etc was very difficult. The 130T has very few flat surfaces.

I like that they have molded foam blocks inside, just in case your boat starts to take in water - mine is still 100% water tight.

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
CheapPelican

I love my castaway. It's the same as the apex but with a front hatch, which is a good for you because the hatch leaks like a sieve. It's not really all that stable and doesn't track too well, but it's light, easy to turn, and is fun to paddle. Surfs decent too. My pelican owned the surfzone at Doheney a few weeks ago. There's no seat scuppers which blows. It's great for fishing the harbors.

Sounds like it's used since you won it in a bet. If so take it out in the bay and check for the infamous scuper leaks, It's a welded, not rotomolded. I never had a problem. If its new, sell it as new and you'll probably be 1/2 way there to a malibu blem.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
I love my castaway. It's the same as the apex but with a front hatch, which is a good for you because the hatch leaks like a sieve. It's not really all that stable and doesn't track too well, but it's light, easy to turn, and is fun to paddle. Surfs decent too. My pelican owned the surfzone at Doheney a few weeks ago. There's no seat scuppers which blows. It's great for fishing the harbors.

Sounds like it's used since you won it in a bet. If so take it out in the bay and check for the infamous scuper leaks, It's a welded, not rotomolded. I never had a problem. If its new, sell it as new and you'll probably be 1/2 way there to a malibu blem.
Oh Yeah. Forgot about the lack of seat scuppers. I always just bring a towel to wipe the seat.

But then again this yak has not taken any serious waves big-enough to result in a big pool of water in the seat - most of the water that comes over the deck is from paddle drip with an occasional small wave that is just big enough to make it over the gunwales.

My FnD is definitely better in this regard (it has big seat scuppers).
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
bigbad5
Junior

sweet

fellas thanks, great info... i won the yak on a a bet against my bud, it was on a soccer game( chelsea vs. arsenal)... i took chelsea,as always. and i won i waged my kindle fire that i found at a park haha.... another quewstion everyone!!!.... do i fish with heavy tackle or light, and what do u consider heavy tackle????
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
bigbad5
Junior

also

so im in long beach... off the peninsula, i need pinters, what to use as bait,how to set up my line and should i go heavy line or light.... anything will help....