Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Thumbs up Why choose OEX for Hobie?

OEX and Hobie have teamed up to give the best customer service I have received anywhere!

Long Version...

I went out buggin in MB on the second night of the season. I was doing well, and perfecting my technique, and practicing at different depths and structures to see which methods produced the best bugs. After a couple of hours my left peddle "popped". I turned on the light and found that the drives right peddle pin had popped out of the #7 spot and gone beyond the point it is designed to. Bummer! I didn't do a full inspection of the drive due to the heavy outgoing tide, darkness, and the fact that I wanted to pull my nets before the drive totally failed. I continued to gently peddle and pull my nets up as the drive appeared to still work. The right peddle just would not pull, only push. I started to experience trouble getting the kayak to turn without leaning to one side or the other, but I thought maybe I was just tripping or had kelp on the rudder or something. Little did I know that my kayak was slowly filling with water! I pulle the last of my nets and opened the hatch to stowe some gear and quickly "pumped" until I thought my arms would fall off. I then quickly returned to my launch spot at Bahia and found that the mast that the peddle is attached to was actually broken and twisted at the base where it is rivited... metal fatigue maybe? Anyway that somehow caused a small leak in the drive well, which of course filled the yak with water. I was so bummed!

So I went up to see Nate at OEX's Oceanside Location the next day. He did not hee and haw or complain about taking the kayak for a possible warranty, he just said we'll see what they say. I left the kayak there with the knowledge that I might have to drop some big mullah to save my yak. I am kind of hard on things, and I put many many miles on that yak this summer, I spent far more time peddling than fishing... looking for those pelagics way outside. (Jon will have to show me how it's done I guess.)

So Nate contacts me a couple of days later and tells me to come pick up my kayak. Great, I thought, it is repaired, I am stoked! Then he tells me that Hobie has decided to warranty the kayak, and the drive system!!! I am in disbelief! Hobie and OEX have totally "hooked" (no pun intended) me up, with a new '09 Outback and will repair the drive at no cost to me!! I cannot say how stoked I was!! I was dancing around my garage like a tennager that just got his first kiss!

This kind of customer service is so lacking in so many businesses today, but Brent, Nate, and Hobie seem to have customers as their first prioity not their last! Cudo's to you guys!

I took out the new ride on the full moon to start where I left off and brought home a full sack of Juicy bugs for the family. The new drive retention system is awesome... it is fast, easy, and could probably be put in or out in the surf with a little practice. The rudder system is almost completely new, using pull toggles in place of the older lever style up down controls. It also has a snap in style "lock" to help keep the rudder in the down position under pressure. I have put the sailing rudder back on and used it under demanding situations and my outback turns like a jackrabbit avoiding a hawk. I actually have to be careful not to be tossed out of the yak if turning fast at high speed! I am very excited to put the rudder to the test on some bigger model fish!

So my hat is off to OEX and to Hobie! You have gone beyond earning my business, to earning my respect AND all of my future business!

THANKS OEX AND HOBIE!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
dorado50

Thumbs up

Brent and Nate are the "go to guys" and "Hobies rock".
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Sebastian

I do not own a Hobie, but have to say that the OEX O'side shop has awesome customer service. They helped me out with a minor fix on an old scupper pro.

Great shop!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Yeah. What he said
You can't beat OEX for customer service.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
JD

Speaking of OEX and their stellar customer service...I've had them replace many Malibu X-Factors that I've broken 3 of them the last 12 months. I seem to have had a bad run of defective boats and the guys @ OEX have always replaced them without question. Matter of fact, they have even delivered new boats to my house.

I do question the quality of Malibu boats, but never the service and integrity of OEX.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
steveooo

Fo Sho
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
FISHIONADO

Agree great customer service. I don't know what to say about the failure. Imagine being several miles out facing a headwind back in.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
OEX Sunset is my local shop and service has always been excellent even when I came in with last minute things I needed or wanted. Thanks Iceman for everything. Even got me my new X13 in the nick of time early this year to make my camping trip to Doheny especially memorable even if the the fishing wasn't so. I'll be looking for a couple of new yaks in the next year or so for my boys and I know where I'll be going !
Darren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
nunyabizness1
Maggie

OEX

I have nothing but the best to say about OEX and their customer service. I called Brent yesterday before heading out hooping because my fish finder stopped working. I was considering getting a new one installed since the one I have is a cheap version and may not be worth fixing. Brent told me to consider fixing the one I have and told me some things to try before I replace the one I have. He has great ethics in his business and that is why I highly recommend OEX to anyone looking to buy. During tough economic times, many want to make a quick buck while others want to get everything for free. Let's keep giving our business to shops like OEX who really look out after their customers.

Glad to hear you have your yak and can be back on the water so quickly!
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
erinoo

Dido, dido, dido...Brent and Andy have both been very good to me. Brent lent me a pfd from the shop at the last minute before the last mothership trip when I left mine at home. Andy got Joy's new ride ready before the trip for next to nothing...Both are good people.....Eric
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
mc08066

OEX

I try to buy all my supplies from them. Great knowledgeable team. Their entire group is helpful, thanks Brent for being who you are.
Sincerely,
Jimmy
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
malibuj
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Speaking of OEX and their stellar customer service...I've had them replace many Malibu X-Factors that I've broken 3 of them the last 12 months. I seem to have had a bad run of defective boats and the guys @ OEX have always replaced them without question. Matter of fact, they have even delivered new boats to my house.

I do question the quality of Malibu boats, but never the service and integrity of OEX.
JD, sorry to hear of the issues you've had with your previous X-Factors. I am very happy that OEX has taken care of you. Please keep me in the loop with any issues that you might be having with your kayaks, I would like to know if there is anything amiss that I should know about.

Thank You,
Josh Eck
Sales Manager
Malibu Kayaks
josh@malibukayaks.com
malibuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
JD

Malibuj,

I believe Brent@ Point Loma has kept you guys in the loop throughout the saga. I think the issue was a bad run of plastic(s) or somthing related to new manufacturer. I also recall it having to do with reaction to the pigment as new colors were introduced. 1st one was sand, then green and both cracked in the same place first or second time out. I am now on a shiny new red boat and so far so good.

I love the deisgn of the x-factor, just slightly concerned about QC. I'm certainly not writing you guys off. At this point i'll chock it up to bad luck, maybe 3rd time is the charm.

Is there anything you can do to make the X a bit faster? Maybe a turbo or super charger w/ a nitrous system. I may catch more fish than my buddies, but i can't keep up with em.

JD
Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
riken19
Junior

Dito as well! Great service for sure and thanks for all the events and trips you put on for all of us!
riken19 is offline   Reply With Quote