Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #21
JarrodMc

Nice fish dude. Costco had some big coolers. maybe check it out
Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
Drake

It's the Igloo 150qt, it's quite big
Old 07-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

The bite got very popular very fast, to the point where it became a hazard for us kayakers at night. When Jim, Danny and I first started fishing this bite we were pretty much the only vessels out there. It took less than a week for it to becomes a complete madhouse.
Even with nav lights, boats pay very little attention to what's ahead of them at night and it really was unsafe for kayaks to be out there.

Factor in the possibility that on a night bite like this...most guys will anchor up, throw their squid lights over and waste no time cracking open a few cold beers.

Not only was being run over a safety issue, but for a lonely kayak to be in the midsts of 40+ boats every night with fly lines running every which way, you are kind of a nuisance in their eyes. Everyone competes for a prime piece of real-estate and will have no problem bullying a kayak out of a spot. More than once, anchors were tossed over the bow of my kayak like warning shots.

I was threatened to be gaffed at one point, even though I was there 4 hours before this "total local brah" got there and wanted my spot. Jim had a similar run in with the same people...

After being bullied out, I had to move about 50 yards away from them. It was an absolute pleasure watching the expressions on their face every time my clicker started screaming. I couldn't help but look over my shoulder with a smug smirk, with a slight head bow thanking them for forcing me off my spot.
What kind of boat was he on ?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwaterho View Post
i love it when the guys who constantly post big fish reports are also the ones that complain about crowds. You post hundreds of pic of yourself and your yaks all over the net then act suprised when people drop the hook on you?
I never complained about "crowds." Crowds will happen, the same when a good swell moves in and the lineup is packed to the point you can walk from surfboard to surfboard. I shared my experience involving poor etiquette and the unnecessary agression. Jim likes to call it the sheep mentality. We got there pretty much before anyone else. Then everyone starts showing up and sees us "They must know what they're doing, lets get close to them" then a few more boats show up, and see the huddled up group..."OH, those guys all know something we don't let's try and get a spot somewhere in that hot zone" and the same goes on all night...I fished the same spot I had marked on my GPS for 2 months when the fish started showing up and we were the only people out there.
Slowly but surely more and more boats moved in.

Even boaters near us were yelling at the guy who tossed his anchor 6 feet from my kayak.

"Hey man, give the guy some room, he's been there all day"

This post wasn't even intended to hate on or point out any specific boater. I could post photos of him and his CF# which I took with my phone. The internet isn't the place to call anyone out. This post was more of a reminder to kayaks to exercise caution when venturing into unfamiliar or less than optimal conditions

As you can see, my post was two weeks past the day of catch and doesn't include the location. That was by design. Maybe 10% of the fish I catch make it to the internet, and only when there is a story involved, and when they do make it to the internet the bite is over. I get shit for it a lot "Not posting accurate reports" but I'm sorry, I have first hand seen more than a few times the impact a timely report can have on a bite. The bite we worked for these fish is long gone.

Last edited by Drake; 07-21-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Good stuff....

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #26
kantstudien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I was threatened to be gaffed at one point, even though I was there 4 hours before this "total local brah" got there and wanted my spot
Sounds like a deadly force encounter would be justified if the guy threatened you with a gaff. Especially if he had the means (gaff in hand) and motive (threats) and you felt in fear of your life.

No different from a thug threatening you with a knife on the street.

Not to mention the disparity of force since you are on a kayak and he is on a boat.

Just saying...
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
captnblood34

pat pat
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #28
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
pat pat
Can I help you...?