Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Trout
Looks are everything

Comin' home...

It comes with seriously mixed emotions that I am annoucing that I'm packing up the family and moving back to SD. There are soooooooo many pros and cons, but with a new baby (making it 3 kids), the high cost of living in Hawaii, the need to be with family and life-long friends, etc, we decided it's time to come back after over 3 incredibly memorable years. I haven't told the Hawaii boys yet but will when the time is right. I look forward to fishing and surfing with all of you again and reconnecting. I wouldn't have traded these 3+ years over here for the world, but there's no way we can deny all of our family from our kids (amongst other reasons). Anyway... should be back in October and I'm looking forward to Baja and SD yak fishing before the winter hits.

Aloha... or I guess now it's "Nos vemos pronto"...

Trout
Old 08-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

right on Adam...........the fishin' and weather ain't so bad here Mahalo!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Trout
Looks are everything

... nor here. Gonna miss the big strikes and insane weather/conditions.

It's gonna be hard, but as I said, I am looking forward to some hamachi kama, Baja yak fishing, and catching up with you guys. It has been a while. It'll be fun getting Niko out there bumping elbows with you guys. He is 10 now and ready to learn the ropes!

See you guys soon...
Old 08-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
roosta

Hell Yeah Ads!
You and the Mrs. have been quite busy ha? (3...) Hahaha
Looking forward to seeing you when you get back into town.
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
undrH2Ohntr

hey man,
welcome back............born and raised here myself (35 years), but hell, it isn't getting any cheaper I can not and will not ever leave but all my buddies seem to be leaving.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
'Cuda

Beautiful Ulua.....is that south Kona?
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
'Cuda

Or Keana Point?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Trout
Looks are everything

I live on Oahu but caught this on the big island. Rhino has a house near south kona and I went over a few times to take a vacation from my vacation This one went almost 50#... my arms were sore for 2 days. These things brawl. Here's a different angle. Rhino has some brand new Prowlers set up (though quite intense popsicle-orange in color). I just fly over with portable sonar and terminal tackle and away we go!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #9
'Cuda

And what are you trolling.....Rapala type lures? I tried dead sardines from the local market and often times I would hear two clicks off the drag, reel in and find only the head left.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Trout
Looks are everything

Fresh-dead opelu... what I consider a Hawaiian strain of mackerel. I believe it's actually a "scad" and there are big ones called "akule" that work well, too. I used the "big bait = big fish" concept on this one with a 14" opelu. But so you know, I have also caught ulua on frozen sardines. The popular bait is tako leg (octopus), but when I use fish for bait I seem to have better by-catch (ie, uku/gray snapper). Regarding the short bites you were getting, the key to fishing dead baits is to have a trailing "stinger" hook... and many of your catches will be on that.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #11
'Cuda

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
Trout
Looks are everything

I actually have a pretty long/detailed article that will published in Hawaii Fishing News in the months to come (it's with their editor right now). I'll forward you a copy when it comes out and you can refer to it next time you hit the islands. You guys all know the ropes already and it's not a ton different than fishing the point at LJ or the east cape in Baja... just some different baits and techniques. I've been watching the boards over the past three years while I've been here... and you guys are doing just fine! I can't wait to dial into that first again. Haven't gotten one since 'cisquito with Aguachico and the rest of the suspects.