Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
reddog

undecided

a buddy of mine gave me kayak all i had to do was buy the paddle.now i am thinking of buying a peddle kayak.which one is better? paddle or peddle any help would be great.
rd
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
esdees
The Good Clone

The main deterrent from the pedal boats is the price, but each person is different. It's been said many times on this board: "Try before you buy"

Most people can go further with the pedal system, but you lose deck space. Do you have any injuries (knee, shoulder, etc) that would affect your decision?

I would talk to the guys at OEX. They sell all the main brands of kayaks and will let you try them out. I believe the Oceanside store is the only one that has hobies. If that's out of the way for you, Fastlane Sailing (Mission Bay area) sells hobies and will let you try them out.

Give them a call and see what they say.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
a buddy of mine gave me kayak all i had to do was buy the paddle.now i am thinking of buying a peddle kayak.which one is better? paddle or peddle any help would be great.
rd

If you already own a yak and all you need is a paddle, then use it. You need a paddle for a kayak or a peddle boat. I have a paddle for sale .

As for what's better, I sure do like the way those peddle boats zip around the ocean, but then again Quietman's trolling motor worked well also
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
reddog

try before you buy thats good.whats the price difference between them
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Dan

the difference between a free kayak and a new peddle kayak is about $1700++++

I'll need a new one soon, gonna have to kick the tires on a few soon.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
dgax65
Guerro Grande

The Hobie mirage drive adds quite a bit to the price. It would probably be best to just buy a paddle and use the one you have for a while. That should give you some time to learn all the ins and outs of kayak fishing. If you decide that you like it and are going to stick with it you can look for a specific yak. The OEX stores have a wide range of kayaks (everything except for Cobra I think) and they can help you out with your decision. Make sure you paddle/pedal several types before you make a decision to buy a kayak.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
THE DARKHORSE

Well said, Patrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
The main deterrent from the pedal boats is the price, but each person is different. It's been said many times on this board: "Try before you buy"

Most people can go further with the pedal system, but you lose deck space. Do you have any injuries (knee, shoulder, etc) that would affect your decision?

I would talk to the guys at OEX. They sell all the main brands of kayaks and will let you try them out. I believe the Oceanside store is the only one that has hobies. If that's out of the way for you, Fastlane Sailing (Mission Bay area) sells hobies and will let you try them out.

Give them a call and see what they say.

Patrick pretty much said it all, and he's a non-bias guy giving you his honest opinion, sound advice. I'm not sure if Patrick has ever fished off a mirage drive system though, I never asked him. I fished off of three different kinds of paddle kayaks before making the switch, and you can't sum up the difference by price alone. I developed nerve damage from chasing bird schools like a maniac for years, but I know a few hardcore fisherman that don't have this problem, I think. The feel, speed, and maneuverability, are completely different from a standard paddle kayak. I'm not bias either, pros and cons to both, and it remains to be determined which one is right for you. I'm not a salesman in anyway, just a hardcore fisherman, but without you telling me about your desired specific use (lakes, bays, 3mile-40mile range), in conjunction with your experience level, and target species from tiny to giant, plenty of variables. I will also point out that you don't neccisarily lose deck space with a Hobie. The deck of the Hobie Outback is wide open, with plenty of flat spots for customized options, not to mention it comes pretty tricked out. Another thing to think about since you're not paddling, your deck space doubles in size already, and obviously your hands are free to do as you wish. Adjust your rods, cast the iron in hot pursuit of breaking fish while chasing them down, tie knots, read a book, the list is endless. With a paddle kayak, you will be constantly picking up your paddle (a few hundred times a day), to alter your position, whether a great distance or micro adjustments. when ocean kayak fishing the variables are current, wind, multiple lines that can tangle, other kayak anglers, drunk power boaters, big hungry sea lions, whales etc. The point is, you are almost constantly having to make adjustments, and I quit cursing when I got the pedal kayak. When ever I have a possible tangle situation (100 times a day), floating rubbish that needs to be avoided, or the need to move slightly, it's awesome to make a few twinkle toe effortless kicks with my feet, instead of many strokes with the paddle. For the first few weeks on the Hobie, I almost found something new I loved about them everyday, and this is still going on after almost six months. From pulling giant fish away from structure, and stopping the nightmare from unfolding, to increasing my range by leaps and bounds without the fear of fatigue, to simply picking up my rod as the bait get's nervous right before that Yellowtail or White Seabass quits staring him down and commits. I don't know of any fisherman that would argue "that when the fish slams your bait or iron, and starts ripping line is the best part," atleast it's my favorite part.

All this said, for years when someone on the beach asked me how to get started, I simply told them "find something that floats, and take advantage of the worldclass sportfishing that is right off our coast". I have three paddles that seem to lose their value to me everyday, and forgot to bring one on three out of my last five trips. So feel free to barrow one, try out what you have, listen to the salesman about your "specific questions", and the kayak that is right for you "will sell itself". Maybe you will end up fishing on the one you have this season, or buying a better paddle kayak soon, your choice to make. Reguardless, all this will do is make you appreciate the pedal kayak more if you ever decide to make the switch, "like moving from Montana to Southern California, you will appreciate what you have more than the locals that take paradise for granted".

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-22-2008 at 11:35 AM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
FISHIONADO

I found that while pedaling the Outback requires constant adjustments to the rudder to prevent drifting off course. One hand is always on the rudder control, or off just long enough to drink from my beer and then I need to make a correction. I would call it one-hand fishing not hands-free. I adjusted my rudder cables so there is no slack. I can see why some people love the pedal drives, but I still prefer paddling. After having a mirage drive fail on me two miles out I would never go further than that on an Outback and would always have a paddle with me. The Revolution and Adventure would make me more comfortable because I could paddle those longer distances, the Outback is too wide and tall to paddle efficiently, maybe a 260cm paddle would help. Not arguing, just adding another opinion.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
THE DARKHORSE

Dave, is also a non-bias guy, and I respect his opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I found that while pedaling the Outback requires constant adjustments to the rudder to prevent drifting off course. One hand is always on the rudder control, or off just long enough to drink from my beer and then I need to make a correction. I would call it one-hand fishing not hands-free. I adjusted my rudder cables so there is no slack. I can see why some people love the pedal drives, but I still prefer paddling. After having a mirage drive fail on me two miles out I would never go further than that on an Outback and would always have a paddle with me. The Revolution and Adventure would make me more comfortable because I could paddle those longer distances, the Outback is too wide and tall to paddle efficiently, maybe a 260cm paddle would help. Not arguing, just adding another opinion.
I agree that with the Outback you can't just cruise as if on auto-pilot, more near constant micro adjustment like 1/8" to the left and then back right, just like when driving straight on the freeway in a car. After I learned to not "over adjust", I loved the handling (2008 model). The other Hobie models are another story, as the pointed bow acts like a forward rudder or a fin on a surfboard, and requires much less adjusting, almost built in auto-pilot. In my own opinion after trying all the options, the Outback would be my choice for La Jolla, and other areas where you are never more than a couple miles offshore. If I remember correctly, Dave had a pin slip out, that would of required to simply have an allen wrench (I keep one on my key chain and have never had to use it after over a hundred miles now). Dave, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the Outback is the most versatile, with so much stability you never have to think about it fighting giant fish, or throwing a 9' jig-stick as hard as you can, not to mention it's the best option for sight fishing (my favorite), and allows you to move about the cockpit without fear. Changing clothes, or getting on your knees to urinate, and getting a higher perspective to see fish that you can't see sitting down. I think opinions from as many people as possible, are nothing but a good thing in helping a fellow angler make his decision, so thanks Dave.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-22-2008 at 01:46 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
josh that was a pretty damn good response......
Old 08-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
pchen911

I bought 2 hobie outbacks over the years on 2 different occassions, and I ended up selling them both. Went from paddle to pedal, now back to paddle again. I really tried to give it a fair shot.

Older hobies have a problem with drivewell cracking and leaking on you and the fix they give you is pretty much useless... and has horrible primary stability.

Newer hobies are better with stability, but still, more gadgets to keep track of, things to go wrong, to complicate the whole process..especialy on launching and landings. Heavy as a pig on land and water. Plus alot less deck space to play with.

I am now back on and OK P15 and really much happier with it than with the Hobies. I still own 2 Cobras, 2 Ok kayaks, and a couple of other brands, but got rid of the Hobie Outbacks.

There really is something to be said for paddles... it feels alot better and lets you do alot more fine tune adjustments on positioning.

And yea, I had the same problem as FISHIONADO.... My Hobies tracked horribly with the rudder. As "hands free" as trying to drive a car hands free.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchen911 View Post
I bought 2 hobie outbacks over the years on 2 different occassions, and I ended up selling them both. Went from paddle to pedal, now back to paddle again. I really tried to give it a fair shot.

Has anyone else done this? Personally I couldn't imagine it.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
pchen911

That reminded me of one thing.

One good thing about the Hobie that I really did like is that they hold their resale value extremely well. Probably better than any other kayak I have ever owned and sold.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

I guess it's a lifestyle choice. Once you go Hobie you never go back.

I keeed, I keeed.

I know of a few people who have found religion and given up the Hobie. Not many, but a few.

I'd be the first to admit that Hobies provide some advantages for fishing. I would even be willing to get one if I had a career-ending shoulder injury. Maybe I'm just a purist, but I love paddling. I don't think I'd give that up unless I had to.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
Rusty

Doug -

For you vets I can understand the 'purist' aspect, and for some that may not be as great a factor as just fishing and making ground. I guess what it really comes down to is that, preference of upper or lower body workout, and factoring in any injuries one may have.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Mike McFann
Junior

I have to say that the acceptance of Hobie's on this board has improved over the last 2 years that I have owned one.

I am impressed with the thoughtfull discussion that this thread has produced so far. Great opinions.

Thank you all for the respectfulness of each other.
Mike McFann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #17
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

I Did
i went from: sptw ,prowler15, tarpon160, outback for 2.5 years, Marauder (was a second boat, paddled it for 2 weeks, uggh it sucked), back to prowler 15.

i liked it, they're amazing boats. but it just wasnt what i wanted anymore. I got a great deal on it (traded the tarpon straight up) and thats why i think i paddled it for so long. i am VERY happy now to be back in a P15, it was a relief to get back to paddling. They're not for everyone.

pm me for any more.

Last edited by trob; 08-23-2008 at 09:28 AM.
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
Billy V

The best 2 models for ocean fishing are the Adventure, and Revolution. They both are narrow enough to paddle, and are fast under Mirage Power.

If I take my Adventure out in Mission Bay without the Mirage Drive and install the cassette plug in the well area it paddles good.
At 27.5" wide and 16 ft long it goes along good, and tracks well.
----------------------
The Outback makes a good all around yak, but it is not a good paddle boat because of its width and height at the water line.
But if you want a stable boat its hard to beat in that area.
-------------------
There will always be some type of compromise between fast, and stability.

On the plus side I launch at LJ without ever removing my paddle. The Mirage Drive lets me peddle straight from shore and blast through big waves at times.
-I really tested the hell out of it this week with a BIG Wave over my head.

It was a holy shit moment.lol
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #19
dorado50

The hobie rudder system allows you to keep the fish to one side at all times just by adjusting the rudder as to which direction the fish is heading or going, no need to swing rod from side to side. The worst part about a hobie is that there is no fish storage!!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #20
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
The hobie rudder system allows you to keep the fish to one side at all times just by adjusting the rudder as to which direction the fish is heading or going, no need to swing rod from side to side. The worst part about a hobie is that there is no fish storage!!
That's easily achieved without a rudder system. right foot left foot.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote