Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
JOHNA.
freshmeat

NEWBEE

Hello, Im fairly new to yak fishing and I'm becoming board of catching bait fish. It's time to venture out.
What is better to keep live bait alive. A total bait tank and pump. Or are Tube's a better easier opption. Thanx.
JOHNA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
esdees
The Good Clone

Tubes are cheap, but they limit how much bait you can hold and how fast you can move them around. If you go more than slow troll speed for too long, they will die in the tube. That being said, I used one for a couple years and still use one every once in a while.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
dorado50

Bait tank, why drag around resistence?
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
JOHNA.
freshmeat

Thumbs up

Does [the battery(6v) only the pump running of it], last very long. Sorry so many questions, but I really want to get my yak outfitted correctly. Thanx
Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Sherm

Get your pump set up to cycle on and off. Saves battery life. Or do like I do and just flip the switch every once in a while to give them some fresh water.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
forefrazier

Johna:

Not to thread jack but I have had an issue recently that might help you decide on your bait setup. When using sardines I have a 3.5gal. bucket running off a 12v batt and 500gph bilge pump with timer. No matter what I do the 'dines seem to start dying within an hour or so. I can adjust the delay on my timer and more less doesn't seem to help much. I have recently been thinking a 6v battery left on with no timer might work out better (Thoughts anyone?)

When at La Jolla, I often just use a 2' bait tube as greenbacks and spanish macs are pretty hearty and I don't think one bait has every died on me when I have been out for hours. Bait tube is definitely a good way to experience things for yourself without dumping a load of cash on the latest bait tank.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
JOHNA.
freshmeat

yeah, i guess experiencing things for your self is a good way to learn. I'll try the bait tube and see what happens. thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
JOHNA.
freshmeat

also what about using some stress coat. you know like for aquarium fish handling.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNA. View Post
Does [the battery(6v) only the pump running of it], last very long. Sorry so many questions, but I really want to get my yak outfitted correctly. Thanx
My 6 Volt 12 Amp Battery runs my Thresher Tank all day and more without a problem. It is also much quieter than when I use the 12 Volt Battery.
-Half the water flow 250 GPH verses 500 GPH, but its plenty to keep everybody alive.

The 12 Volt 7.5 Amp Battery will last all day as well.
-----------------------
Black 4" ABS Pipe from Home Depot with a screen glued on one end, and a screw cap glued on the other will work well and get you started for cheap money.
Add a few feet of rope and you're done.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Dean Machine

Bait tubes are definitely cheaper and easier as far as setting up goes. The drag created by a bait tube Vs. a bait tank full of water is not much different. I would even guess that it might even be less work paddling with a bait tube. It is a little tricky if you have a screw cap on the end of your pvc bait tube and you need to get the lively bait into the tube. Unscrew the cap, grab the bait while holding the tube. guide the frenzied bait into tube,re cap th tube,repeat......you get the idea. It does beat frantically chasing that last piece of bait in the bait bucket in circles while a boil of yellowtail are sinking out of sight. I personally started out with a bait tube since it was easy and cheap and also never had bait die in the tube (spanish and greenbacks). They do get a bit distressed though. Make sure if you use a tube put them in so that when you paddle their heads face forward otherwise they will die. Also make sure to make some holes in the leading and trailing part of the tube to allow a good flow of water while you paddle. Oh, one more thing, if you use a screwcap don't put it on very tight because you will never get it off without a pair of channel lock pliers and don't get any sand in the threads or you'll need channel locks for that too!! Good luck!!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
JOHNA.
freshmeat

Thank you very much for the advice fish dudes.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
My 6 Volt 12 Amp Battery runs my Thresher Tank all day and more without a problem. It is also much quieter than when I use the 12 Volt Battery.
-Half the water flow 250 GPH verses 500 GPH, but its plenty to keep everybody alive.

The 12 Volt 7.5 Amp Battery will last all day as well.

I agree with the 6v 12 amp battery for the thesher tank...
lasts all day...much quieter...bait lives long time...
and it is lighter than the 12 v 7 amp...
been on 12 hours staight and still going strong...

I started with the 12v 7 amp battery and it would only last about 5 or 6 hours in the same tank...

that is my experience...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #13
dorado50

During the summer months when the water is warmer a constant water flow is almost a must especially for sardines. I do believe there is less oxygen in warmer water, thus constant water flow allows adequate oxygen. Timers are great for cooler/colder water as the oxygen remains in the standing water longer. Live bait needs to swim around in order to circulate water thru their gills, thus I would suggest a real bait tank in order to maximize your fishing experience.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
During the summer months when the water is warmer a constant water flow is almost a must especially for sardines. I do believe there is less oxygen in warmer water, thus constant water flow allows adequate oxygen. Timers are great for cooler/colder water as the oxygen remains in the standing water longer. Live bait needs to swim around in order to circulate water thru their gills, thus I would suggest a real bait tank in order to maximize your fishing experience.
Without a doubt, you will catch more fish with quality bait. Just because your bait is still barely breathing and able to swim after living in a bait tube, doesn't justify limiting the amount of strikes you will get. A "hot bait" will get bit ten times more often, especially in slower conditions. Buy a tank or make a tank, if you want to catch more fish.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #15
esdees
The Good Clone

Tubed baits are very healthy as long as you do everything correctly:
  • don't over pack
  • drag at the right speed
  • don't mix small baits with large ones
But if you can afford it, a bait tank is the way to go. You can throw one together using a bucket and a bilge pump for pretty cheap, or you can go all out and get a kayatank (internal bait tank). The main thing is to just get out there. Live bait is nice to have, but it is not a requirement. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
also what about using some stress coat. you know like for aquarium fish handling.
They're bait, not pets!

--aguachico
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
THE DARKHORSE

It's all relative..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
Tubed baits are very healthy as long as you do everything correctly:
  • don't over pack
  • drag at the right speed
  • don't mix small baits with large ones
But if you can afford it, a bait tank is the way to go. You can throw one together using a bucket and a bilge pump for pretty cheap, or you can go all out and get a kayatank (internal bait tank). The main thing is to just get out there. Live bait is nice to have, but it is not a requirement. Good luck!
I know, bait can stay alive in a bait tube "for a period of time if you follow a few simple rules". My perspective on this subject is coming from the angle of "hot bait" vs. the amount of strikes you will draw as apposed to using "bait". My personal definition of a "hot bait" : Catch a horse Sardine, and as soon as he flops of the sabiki hook, send him out on the flyline. No comparison, to the nervous speed like this to a stressed bait that has been kept in a confined area. You could propose an argument that a bait tank is a confined area also, and I would have to agree again. Each little fish is different, as some handle the stress better than others (just like people). That's all the more reason to take advantage of a quality tank, thus directly affecting how many fish you will catch (guaranteed), especially in slower conditions or when bait is plentiful.

Even with a quality bait tank, I look real close as to which baits are "lit up", and brimming with energy. Just like when I'm on a two-day trip offshore, I huddle over the tank wells the entire time, and have "my eye on the hot bait of choice", waiting for a troller to be hit. The same theory of using a "hot bait" applies to all Pelagics.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
Craig jones

Kayatank

Definitely look into the kayatank, the pump is on a timer, and is inside the hull so reduced drag. I find that the bait stay healthy all day.
Craig jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #19
esdees
The Good Clone

I agree that a "hot" bait is better than one that is just alive, but I don't agree that you can't get a hot bait from a bait tube.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #20
dorado50

I still just can't understand why one would want to drag something submerged in the water using just a paddle to propel the craft?? I can feel the strain already and I'm not paddleling yet. I can even feel the resistence of my trolled rapala or live bait as I'm paddeling along, would not want to drag a submerged object like a four inch diameter plastic tube behind human propelled craft. "show me the logic"