Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
GTboosted

Let's talk about kayak transport

What do you hate or love about your vehicle?

I will be in the market for a "new" truck or van that I can use to camp and tow my little kayak trailer. I want a new Tacoma but I would rather stay under $20k.

What would you do? For sure I need real 4x4 and not awd.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
Raskal311

For around 20k u could consider a 2014 ish Tacoma. Not much on the market these days for $20 unless u want an economy car which isn't ideal for what you want to do. You aren't going to find any reliable 4x4 for $20 that's for sure.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
jorluivil

Why do you need 4wd?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
For around 20k u could consider a 2014 ish Tacoma. Not much on the market these days for $20 unless u want an economy car which isn't ideal for what you want to do. You aren't going to find any reliable 4x4 for $20 that's for sure.
Yeah I know I have to go used for sure. Problem is that they hold their value well, so for 20k they have a lot of miles. That's why I'm not stuck on just tacomas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Why do you need 4wd?
So I don't get stuck where a 2wd would. Seriously though, besides the many obvious reasons, I want to try winter camping and some sites get snowed in.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
goldenglory18

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with pad covered Thule Aeroblades and love the setup. The only issue I've had is a electrical issue that I figured out was the TIPM that went out. $250 and an easy fix.

The only thing I wish is that I would have waited a little longer and found a 4WD with the V8. This truck is tough, capable, and really, REALLY comfortable to drive long distances. I just miss the sound and feel of a V8 and want that 4WD for "just in case" situations.

Dream rig right here (wrong color though):

Last edited by goldenglory18; 08-18-2017 at 07:59 AM.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
cris

Did some winter camping with my subaru outback last winter as well as some offroading this summer. It's awd not 4x4 but it was fine for what and I haven't gotten stuck at la jolla (yet).
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #7
Denis_Ruso

I picked up a 1997 Toyota 4runner 4x4 with Locked Rear last year. So far its been my favorite car.

Pros: Cost was only 5500 so there's plenty in the budget to rig the car with what you need, notorious reliability (same engine as the taco), SUV so you can camp 2 comfortably with a sleeping platform in the back with the heater on, sits the family comfortably, 4x4 is great have never been stuck off-roading, lots of aftermarket parts available, your rods are stored inside the car so you can walk away with the car locked and not worry about someone snatching them while you go eat after kayaking.

Cons: The car is tall and transporting a kayak is a little tricky. This is mitigated with the Thule Hullavator. Not shiny and new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SLYH6653[1].jpg (56.6 KB, 191 views)

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
Did some winter camping with my subaru outback last winter as well as some offroading this summer. It's awd not 4x4 but it was fine for what and I haven't gotten stuck at la jolla (yet).
Oh, if Subaru ever puts an STI drive train in the Crosstrek, that would be damn near the ultimate "kayak" vehicle for me. Throw slightly more capable tires on it and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I picked up a 1997 Toyota 4runner 4x4 with Locked Rear last year. So far its been my favorite car...
Great call. Those late 90's / early 00's 4Runners are bullet proof. Excellent choice if you can find one that's comparatively low miles, they will last you FOREVER.....
Old 08-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I know those things are COMFORTABLE. We used to have one but a bit older. Loved it till it started having too many problems. Different generation from yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
I'm sure that the Subaru's awd system is more than enough, I actually considered an outback but I need space for gear when I camp with my kids.

You see funny stuff at La Jolla. We saw a little corolla speed through a Saturday crowd to get to the hard packed sand lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I picked up a 1997 Toyota 4runner 4x4 with Locked Rear last year. So far its been my favorite car.
I've seen it on your IG. Looks sick. Did you get it with the lift and wheels for that price?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
I've seen it on your IG. Looks sick. Did you get it with the lift and wheels for that price?
Thanks.

Yea I scored a deal, the guy did most of the required maintenance, lift, tires, weld on sliders, skid plates, front bumper and air compressor with only 155K miles at the time.

I don't expect anything like that to pop up again but they are relatively around the same price in immaculate condition.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
oredith
Junior

i was originally going to weld up a rack for the truck to transport the 2 kayaks, but the wife said no to the truck. she wants heated seats and comfy ride.. >_<

I get like 3 offers a month on the truck's windshield asking if I want to sell it..
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #12
TJones

What about ?

A chevy 1500? It's not unheard of for them to knock of 10,000$. Maybe submit a request on internet and have dealers fight for your business. You would have to up your budget though. Maybe look for a slightly used one. This could apply to the competiition as well such as Ford.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:18 AM   #13
Harry Hill

have a 2004 Grand Cherokee that is extremely comfortable to drive but it is beginning to have issues, the electronics in the transmission are acting up. I don't like the full time four wheel drive but even with it on the highway pulling my kayak trailer it gets about 19 mpg with the V8.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
A chevy 1500? It's not unheard of for them to knock of 10,000$. Maybe submit a request on internet and have dealers fight for your business. You would have to up your budget though. Maybe look for a slightly used one. This could apply to the competiition as well such as Ford.
I feel all new trucks are overpriced. That's why you see so many dealers offering huge discounts and still managing to keep their business open. Also why you see the resale on most full-sized trucks plummet so fast after the first 1-2 years.

When I was in AZ, I was REALLLLLLLY close to buying a PA14 and towing it with a CPO Chevy Silverado 1500. Far and away the most comfortable vehicle I'd ever been in. It's just way too impractical for me to drive something that big here in LA.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
Sdspeed

How about a 1st Gen tundra 4x4? I'm bias because i own one with over 200k trouble free miles.
Here's a clean one, low mileage too.
http://www.mullaheychryslerdodgejeep...af6cf08464.htm
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #16
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

4x4 Sprinter cargo van

A girl can dream, can't she?

Until then, it's a 2003 Chevy Express 14-passenger van w/o seats and paint blowing off the roof (don't try to take it off road)

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-20-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #17
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
How about a 1st Gen tundra 4x4? I'm bias because i own one with over 200k trouble free miles.
Here's a clean one, low mileage too.
http://www.mullaheychryslerdodgejeep...af6cf08464.htm
19k for a 10 year old truck? No thank you. I paid that much for my first gen tundra in 2004.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #18
Woody86

Or you can pay 25k for a 2013 4x4 tundra...
Woody86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #19
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
4x4 Sprinter cargo van

A girl can dream, can't she?

Until then, it's a 2003 Chevy Express 14-passenger van w/o seats and paint blowing off the roof (don't try to take it off road)
The Mercedes Sprinter would be sweet as a partial RV conversion but they cost too damn much for the little time off work that I would get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
19k for a 10 year old truck? No thank you. I paid that much for my first gen tundra in 2004.
Yeah 19k for a truck that old is too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody86 View Post
Or you can pay 25k for a 2013 4x4 tundra...
Dude, that purchase makes it seem that Tacoma's are overpriced now.