Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #21
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Cali,

Others might be able to answer this question better than I but the main reason I went this route was that when I pulled up my old transducer I found that the goop that had attached it to the hull was full of bubbles. I was never very happy with the performance of my previous FF and have been told that it is important that no bubbles form in the goop as they are likely to cause poor performance.

I have also learned that the most efficient transmitter of sonar signals is water and that for best performance a transducer should be mounted in the water. For some strange reason the hull of a boat does not seem to cause any transmission problems so mounting the transducer in a pool of water inside the hull works very well. This is probably because the density of the hull is fairly close to the density of water.

Anyway, many of the guys who really know what they are doing have gone to the "wet mount" over goop. The problem with the installation method that most have employed up to now is that with the foam version of the wet mount, the water can leak away causing the transducer to perform poorly. I have seen guys on the water having to open their hatch from time to time to add water to the foam well. I wanted to avoid having to worry about this.

My version solves the leakage problem as the whole unit is sealed so the water cannot leak or evaporate. As a bonus, since the transducer is mounted in the rubber cap, it is easily portable to another location making it possible for one FF to be used on multiple boats.

Give it a try. The installation is easy and the materials cost only a few dollars.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
T-Rex

Thumbs up

Looks like a great setup! I've always preferred my wet mount over goop, but filling up the reservoir (or as crabkracker said, forgetting to) is a pain. I haven't had any leaks, but I noticed after about 2 years the pool noodle foam is degrading a little bit and the transducer slips out when I'm driving with the yak upside down. This setup should fix both those problems. This install is going to be my project for tomorrow! Thanks for the info!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #23
WahooUSMA

Wet Trans...

Bob,

I just finished my install of the wet transducer (copied yours). Unfortunately, with the Lowrance transducer, you need to use the ABS 4in male adapter vs. 3in adapter. This sucks because one; its quiet a bit larger, and secondly, the 3 in. cap is flexible while the 4in cap is rigid...(sounds kind of West Hollywood-ish).

My only issue is going to be removing the cap to check for water levels. I am afraid I might eventually separate the ABS adapter from the hull since the cap is so rigid and difficult to remove. Also, last question. Did you sanitize the GOOP in the interior of the adapter (seepage) or do you think it matters? I am guessing with all glue and adhesives, as they dry air bubbles appear......what do ya think???

Anyway, thanks for you expertise!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #24
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Bob,

I just finished my install of the wet transducer (copied yours). Unfortunately, with the Lowrance transducer, you need to use the ABS 4in male adapter vs. 3in adapter. This sucks because one; its quiet a bit larger, and secondly, the 3 in. cap is flexible while the 4in cap is rigid...(sounds kind of West Hollywood-ish).

My only issue is going to be removing the cap to check for water levels. I am afraid I might eventually separate the ABS adapter from the hull since the cap is so rigid and difficult to remove. Also, last question. Did you sanitize the GOOP in the interior of the adapter (seepage) or do you think it matters? I am guessing with all glue and adhesives, as they dry air bubbles appear......what do ya think???

Anyway, thanks for you expertise!
You could make a small inspection hole in the cap and seal it with a rubber plug. That would allow you to clamp down the cap and never have to worry about removing it.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #25
WahooUSMA

Thanks...I think I might give the inspection plug a shot.....Any recommendations on how to clean the GOOP of my transducer? What a royal pain in the ass......I am tempted to just go buy another one!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #26
robmandel

that is slicker than shit. I have the scupper transducer in my trident, but have two other kayaks where that would totally be perfect. and the portable part of it is way cool. yes, there is a better mousetrap
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #27
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Wahoo,

I don't think having a rigid or rubber cap makes much of a difference. Most of the rigid ones are threaded so you could end up with some fairly twisted cables unless you pre-twist the opposite way before you put the cap on. Just make sure the transponder is pointed the right direction when you have things tightened down.

I think a rubber cap with hose clamp is a better way to go. You cannot secure a non-threaded rigid cap with a hose clamp the way you can with rubber. You should be able to find a larger rubber cap somewhere.

The inspection plug is a good idea. I had a problem with my FF last time out and thought that the water may have run dry. In ended up having to loosen the hose clamp while on the water to remove the cap to check things out, (it was a PITA). I discovered that there was still plenty of water, however. After putting everything back together, the FF worked fine. Maybe it was just a glitch in the unit.

I think I will add a fill hole to my setup so I can more easily add water if it is needed at some point.

As for cleaning the goop off, I don't have any recommendations. It probably is not necessary to get it all off. You just need to carve away any areas that have bubbles. Is there a solvent for Goop?

Bob
Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
PescadorPete

If mounted inside a hull, why does it matter which way the transducer is pointed? If mounted through hull, I can see that it would in order to avoid cavitation (bubbles) while the boat is moving.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Wahoo,

I don't think having a rigid or rubber cap makes much of a difference. Most of the rigid ones are threaded so you could end up with some fairly twisted cables unless you pre-twist the opposite way before you put the cap on. Just make sure the transponder is pointed the right direction when you have things tightened down.

I think a rubber cap with hose clamp is a better way to go. You cannot secure a non-threaded rigid cap with a hose clamp the way you can with rubber. You should be able to find a larger rubber cap somewhere.

The inspection plug is a good idea. I had a problem with my FF last time out and thought that the water may have run dry. In ended up having to loosen the hose clamp while on the water to remove the cap to check things out, (it was a PITA). I discovered that there was still plenty of water, however. After putting everything back together, the FF worked fine. Maybe it was just a glitch in the unit.

I think I will add a fill hole to my setup so I can more easily add water if it is needed at some point.

As for cleaning the goop off, I don't have any recommendations. It probably is not necessary to get it all off. You just need to carve away any areas that have bubbles. Is there a solvent for Goop?

Bob
Bob, the 4in. is a rubber cap and does come with the hose clamp, but it is the thickness of the cap and rigidity that worries me. I bought the 3in before I realized my Lowrance transducer was larger than the Hummingbird. The 3in cap is much more flexible.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #30
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

PescadorePete,

The sonar transponder is directional. If you have the transponder pointing to the stern, your fish finder will show you things you have already passed so what shows up on your screen as you move forward would be what you would have seen if you moved backward had the transducer been aligned correctly.

If all you are using your FF for is to tell the depth of the water, this is probably not a big deal but if you are using it to actually locate fish or bait, you could be making decisions based on reading the data incorrectly.

Wahoo,

I don't think a thicker rubber cap is any big deal. It may make it harder to spread open the hole to get your plug through the rubber but if that is the case, just make the X cuts longer. You will be sealing these cuts with goop later anyway.

If you simply cannot spread the rubber wide enough, just drill a suitable sized hole in the rubber. Thread your plug through the hole and attach the transducer. Tape one side of the cap and fill the former hole with goop making sure you have some overlap on cap. When the goop has cured, go to the other side of the cap and spread a bit more goop there so the "plug you just made will not pop out.

The thicker rubber might actually make it easier to mount the transducer with screws since there will be more material for the screws to grab on to.

When you have completed your installation please post a photo for everyone to see.

Bob
Old 01-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #31
THE CALI HOOKUP!
Junior

can the transducer still read through the abs matirial, Of course it sends a signal down then the signal spreads out untill it hits the bottom of the ocean. will this matirial mess up any readings because of how dense the matirial is.

The only problem I have is mounting the transducer to the cap, but I am sure I can figure it out, I have a question how close can you let the transducer get to the hull of the kayak with this type of install

Pm me if you have the answer
THE CALI HOOKUP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #32
grey zone

I use a similar system that is a little more simple and works well. I have a small hard plastic box that is directly gooped to the inside of the kayak. The box is big enough for the transducer to sit in and the sides are 3" high. The bottom of the box was not removed so leaks are not a problem. I place the transducer in the box and add 1-2" of water and its good to go. I do not use a lid and water splashing out has never been a problem. You do not need much water. The depth finder I use is a Garmin and the picture is great.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #33
dtownfan

dsafety...........i keep looking over your wet mount install and second guessing my future attempt at rigging my hummingbird. as of right now i have the hummingbird kit (sitting on the shelf) that craddles the tranny in marine grease. i pick up my yak next weekend and wonder......what will i do. i see the ease of moving the unit to other kayaks (i will only have one option there though) but if the sonar readings are better in water than grease well.....(would the grease make the hummingbird kit a wet mount?) i wonder how well the grease will do upside down if i ever have to store or transport that way.

are you still havin good results from the wet mount?

sorry to bring all this back up - just curious to learn more from your experience. any advice of things you would keep the same/change would be sweet!
dtownfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #34
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownfan View Post
dsafety...........i keep looking over your wet mount install and second guessing my future attempt at rigging my hummingbird. as of right now i have the hummingbird kit (sitting on the shelf) that craddles the tranny in marine grease. i pick up my yak next weekend and wonder......what will i do. i see the ease of moving the unit to other kayaks (i will only have one option there though) but if the sonar readings are better in water than grease well.....(would the grease make the hummingbird kit a wet mount?) i wonder how well the grease will do upside down if i ever have to store or transport that way.

are you still havin good results from the wet mount?

sorry to bring all this back up - just curious to learn more from your experience. any advice of things you would keep the same/change would be sweet!
I have no experience with the "grease mount" so I cannot help you there. I can tell you that my unit, along with my kayak has been stored upside down for weeks and transported the same way. There have been no leaks and the performance has been excellent, (except for a flaky problem common to many Humminbirds when they suddenly stop showing any depth readings for a while).

My guess is that you could use grease instead of water in my design and everything would work fine. On a really hot day, the grease could liquify and cause some problems, especially if you stored or transported your yak upside down.

I like this design because it is so easy to install and there is virtually no chance of screwing anything up as you can with a goop or epoxy installation. The portability is is nice feature as well.

I hope this helps.

Bob
Old 02-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #35
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Hey Bob (or anybody else that has tried this application) ,

So I did both my Trident and my wife's Tarpon. I finished the install, everything looked great. Both held water with no leaks, UNTIL I went to load my Trident on the truck. I was strapping it down when I heard a "glug-glug-glug" ... all the water was coming out. When my boat flexed, it compromised the goop. I since went back to my wife's boat and put a little side-to-side pressure on the pvc and hers lifted from the bottom as well. I'm thinking I need to rough up the bottom before the goop application.

Any ideas??

How do I get around this problem?

Thanks,
Rob

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #36
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter (The 80's Man) View Post

I'm thinking I need to rough up the bottom before the goop application.

Rob

Winner winner chicken dinner
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #37
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter (The 80's Man) View Post
Hey Bob (or anybody else that has tried this application) ,

So I did both my Trident and my wife's Tarpon. I finished the install, everything looked great. Both held water with no leaks, UNTIL I went to load my Trident on the truck. I was strapping it down when I heard a "glug-glug-glug" ... all the water was coming out. When my boat flexed, it compromised the goop. I since went back to my wife's boat and put a little side-to-side pressure on the pvc and hers lifted from the bottom as well. I'm thinking I need to rough up the bottom before the goop application.

Any ideas??

How do I get around this problem?

Thanks,
Rob
Most kayak surfaces retain a little silicon, which is used as a mold release agent. Goop sticks very well to most clean surfaces so need to give the area you plan to apply the Goop to a good cleaning first. Alcohol works great. So does a light sanding of the area. You can do both.

If you properly prepare the area, Goop will stick so well that it is nearly impossible to remove.

Bob
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #38
h2ofishfo

my question is if u set the transducer to high in the water do u inturn reduce the size of the sonar ping due to the constriction of the tubing it sits in hmmmm???
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #39
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
my question is if u set the transducer to high in the water do u inturn reduce the size of the sonar ping due to the constriction of the tubing it sits in hmmmm???
A side imaging or wide angle transducer probably won't work well in a wet well, but they don't work well for any in-hull application. The dual frequency transducers have a narrow and a wide cone angle. Even at a 60 degree cone angle, the transducer would have to be pretty far off the bottom of the yak to lose performance. The narrow cone would probably work in any conceivable kayak wet mount. Whatever return you would lose will be from the outer part of the cone. You should still get decent, if somewhat attenuated return.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #40
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Using the transom mount that came with the transducer, I attached the transducer to the inside of the cap making sure that everything would fit inside the well when the cap was installed. I marked the top of the cap to show the direction the front of the transducer was pointing and gooped the area where the cable passed through to make it water tight.

Attachment 1795

How did you attach the transom mount to the inside of the rubber cap? I'm trying this right now and that's the one part I can't figure out. Looks like you used screws?