Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Fishwhisperer619

Using ghost shrimp

I haven't used ghost shrimp before but want to try it out. Was wondering what hooks I would need, how I should hook it, and also how the rig should be setup. I'm going to fish the bay this weekend and would like to try it out this weekend. Thanks
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
dniss

I fish ghost shrimp in South SD bay all the time. I typically use the cheap Walmart hooks (bronze bait holder in the 20 packs at 99 cents a box) and have a variety of sizes on hand to match the size of the shrimp. I usually pump them at Bahia Point ($30 Squidco pump) where they range from tiny to enormous. Hook them through their ass, thread their bodies up the shank, turn the hook so it sticks out through one of the more substantial side plates on their upper body, that way they stay on the hook better. I use a drop shot rig with the hook 12-18 inches above a dipsey swivel sinker, try to keep the bait just above the eel grass so the shrimp don't get torn off the hook by the grass (they're fragile). Cast gently or just drop and drift. I usually dead stick my live bait rig while tossing plastics or spoons. I've caught lots of bonefish on shrimp and only a couple on artificials. Bonefish are great fun, and after you've caught a few you'll be able to tell right away when you've got one. Gotta love South Bay, where in a city of 1.5 million people you can be alone on a Saturday morning for hours on end...have fun and good luck.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
taggermike

Just started fishing ghost shrimp but made a few observations. They are pretty fragile and will cast off the hook. Like dniss said, thread the shrimp on to the hook with the hook passing through the shrimp a few times. I don't want to gut hook the bones so have been using long shanked bait holder hooks. The shrimp stay on the hook well, I don't seam to be missing fish, and the hook ends up in the fish's mouth. I've been fishing them from an anchored yak with a Carolina rig so I just lob them gently a few yards. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Dannowar

my dad used to use thin copper wire to secure them on the hooks, worked really well every time
Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Bone fish can also be caught on small pieces of razor clam, mussel or blood worm.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Fishwhisperer619

Thanks guys that was reslly helpful. As far as hook size goes what would my range be? So I have hooks for all ghost shrimp sizes
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote