Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
AndyK
Junior

Paddle or Pedal?

I've been fishing offshore/islands/local on private boats, my own boat before I sold it and the SD sport boat fleet for years, all while consistently lurking here and watching a lot of members here consistently kill it from their yaks in LJ, OC and DP. There is just something about going out on a floating piece of plastic and pulling on fish as big (often bigger) than the guys that burn gas in boats chasing that appeals to me. Being closer to nature, the cost efficiency, etc.

I'm curious how many of you guys are paddle vs pedal. I have a 14ft Ocean Kayak but haven't been able make the jump over to the Hobie just yet. Id def like to work with what I have and take it out of LJ and SD Bay.

Last edited by AndyK; 03-31-2018 at 07:26 PM.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

I’m spoiiiiiled by my hobie.
Not having to put the rod down and grab the paddle is wonderful.
Plus my shoulder would always give out long before my legs even start to ache on a long haul.

I’m sure I can and will get another non pedal kayak for various applications, but I’m def in love with my outback.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Raskal311

Peddle kayaks are like the old Motorola razors and peddle kayaks is like an iPhone 8. Now a hobie with an electric motor is an iPhone 12. People (mostly older folks who can't adopt change) likes those old Motorola and that's ok.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:02 AM   #4
DanaPT

Just to be fair... there are plenty of guys that kill it OTW with a paddle.

To each their own.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
nmeofun
Junior

My back and bad shoulder limited the time and distance I could go with my old paddle kayak. My Hobie allows me to fish until I eat all my snacks and get hungry.

Plus, headwinds aren't much of a problem any more.
nmeofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
People (mostly older folks who can't adopt change) likes those old Motorola and that's ok.
Yup that is me, I sell Hobie, Jackson, Ocean, Wilderness and Malibu..........I am always quick to tell people there are huge advantages to fishing from a Hobie, but keeping things a little more primal and challenging appeal to me, so I paddle at least as much as I pedal.

It is pretty close comparison to telling a surfer that stand up boards are better, because you can catch a wave easier and ride more waves, it is true, but easier is not always what you are after.

Last edited by Iceman; 04-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
Mahigeer

If you want exercise and do sightseeing Paddle is fine.

If you want to fish, pedal is better.

I first bought a 14' Malibu and took it out to Baja.

The next trip I had an Outback and was more successful in catching fish.

I put the Malibu on sale. Still available.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #8
dpricenator

I paddle a 14 ft Ocean Kayak Malibu XL, that I can set up for tandem use or for solo use. Having to put the rod down to reposition the yak is cumbersome in tight spots. Like around the boat slips, or on a rocky point. For a drift It is fine. I paddle out of DP harbor, head up current or up wind for an hour opr so and then drift back down for a couple hours. The Pedals would help me around the kelp beds, so I could fish it from different angles and sides. Currently I just grab a piece of kelp, and put my foot on it to hold myself in place. So you see how that could slow down the fishing. My legs are like tree trunks so I know I could Pedal a Hobie to Catalina, if I wanted too. PRO: the Paddle works out the upper body - CON: The paddle certainly inhibits my success fishing. (or at least that's my excuse). My biggest problem with getting a Pedal power yak, is that for $3,500 or even $2,500 I could buy a 14' skiff with and out board motor. Not only could I get a few miles off shore in the morning for some fish, but Could also cruise the harbor with the wife and or kids. For a strictly fishing set, up in a Yak, I would PEDAL, if I could afford it.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #9
goldenglory18

To each his own. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm interested in getting back into competitive fishing and REALLY want to get my hands free, I'd remain perfectly happy in a paddle yak.

I've got a Wildy' Ride 135 and its been a fantastic marina and bay kayak. Super stable, high capacity, and can get you anywhere you can paddle it. Again, if it wasnt for the fact that I want to get back into tournament angling and that bag, I'd be happy as pie.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
FISH11

After over 5 years of using paddle Malibu X13 and X Factor, a Jackson Cuda 14 kayaks and almost 2 year using a 2016 Hobie Revo, I like then both. Each kayak has it's strong points and Neither is Perfect. I also find that switching Kayaks depending on Surf and Wind condition is the best option and lets me get a work out on all areas of my body and the best handling kayak for the conditions.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
To each his own. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm interested in getting back into competitive fishing and REALLY want to get my hands free, I'd remain perfectly happy in a paddle yak.

I've got a Wildy' Ride 135 and its been a fantastic marina and bay kayak. Super stable, high capacity, and can get you anywhere you can paddle it. Again, if it wasnt for the fact that I want to get back into tournament angling and that bag, I'd be happy as pie.

Glad to hear you want to get back into tournament fishing. Perfect timing as there is one in 2 weeks the OEX Tournament and the Battle of the Bays coming up in Mission Bay, then Santa Monica Bay in a couple of months. You probably have a good chance at winning the Santa Monica bay one as it's in your backyard.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #12
Saba Slayer

paddle vs pedal...?

"I'm curious how many of you guys are paddle vs pedal....?"

You're going to find fanatics for both peddle and paddle...just like you'll find Chevy and Ford guys and then there's the Mercedes and Porsche crowd...

Try as many brands as you can...
You just missed a great opportunity at Andy's Sunset Beach store's demo day last Saturday. He's one of those rare (in So. Cal) "on the water" shops that stocks Hobie's and lots of other brands too.
As great a boat as it is for my style... not everyone can afford a Pro Angler 14' and store it or transport it.
Kayaks are like shoes...not one fits all. What works for one kayak fisherman may not be right for you...Storage, Fishing Style, Type of Launch, Transport and Price are all factors that should come into play when trying to decide on your next kayak.
Good Luck

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 04-02-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #13
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

My only purpose for a kayak is fishing, escapism and enjoying healthy outdoor exercise with nature. I like the lighter weight and transportation ease of my Outback. The overall cardio from pumping the pedals, casting, etc., feels great.

Hobie marketing dept adds improvements every year to keep earlier models growing obsolete at a steady pace. If money were no object, I would like a new one. Until I have more money than I can think of things to buy, my 2014 Outback suits me just fine. It's already paid for and rigged exactly the way I like it.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
I've been fishing offshore/islands/local on private boats, my own boat before I sold it and the SD sport boat fleet for years, all while consistently lurking here and watching a lot of members here consistently kill it from their yaks in LJ, OC and DP. There is just something about going out on a floating piece of plastic and pulling on fish as big (often bigger) than the guys that burn gas in boats chasing that appeals to me. Being closer to nature, the cost efficiency, etc. I'm curious how many of you guys are paddle vs pedal. I have a 14ft Ocean Kayak but haven't been able make the jump over to the Hobie just yet. Id def like to work with what I have and take it out of LJ and SD Bay.
Each type has it's merits.

Paddling is simpler. No rudder needed etc... a paddle kayak is more indestructible and you can also take a paddle kayak anywhere.

Seriously...

I think peddle is more accessible in some ways. Paddling takes a level of strength and coordination which builds up with time. I mostly paddle I find it's more versatile, keeps you more in touch with the conditions (especially in rough water) and I like the upper body conditioning.

For a newbie I recommenced paddle first until they get the gist. Once your good with paddling using the Hobie drive is a breeze.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 04-03-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
My only purpose for a kayak is fishing, escapism and enjoying healthy outdoor exercise with nature. I like the lighter weight and transportation ease of my Outback..
What does it weigh?

One of my favorite yaks is the mini-X because I can take it anywhere, and launch it through anything. I love it but would not recommend it for La Jolla
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
What does it weigh?
Hull weight is 81 lbs. For rigged weight, for lifting it out of my van, I have always guessed around 94 lbs.

Beer, fish, gear, etc., go up from there.