Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
fishinkid2010

Saturday, Sept 26

Disclaimer: This is more of a bait and conditions report than and actual fish report

I got to the launch at around 6:00. The sand was pretty compact, so driving on the beach is fine for the guys I always see with mini-vans and little trucks. There was a lot of fog on the drive there (down the 52). There was even more fog north of the pier. I got a little lost for a sec, one second I though i was headed out towards the canyon, then all of the sudden I hear waves breaking, oops, wrong way... so if you are going up that way bring a gps, or at least a compass. My plan was to get bait near the pier and then fish around Blacks for Halibut.
Bait was EASY to make. I found a big school a little South of the Pier and got about 5 Greenbacks, and dozens of Sardines with a few Anchovies mixed in. I called a few guys over that I saw trying to make bait, they seemed to have trouble getting them to stay on the hook... my conclusion was that i have the magic sabiki. (the best one out there IMO is the green, pink, and purple feathered sabiki by mustad; they never rust, and the hooks are always sharp) I filled my tank halfway and decided to head out. (now is a great time to stock up on Lobster bait)

As I continued North I found even bigger schools of bait. There were dozens of birds diving on them, and only one sealion. ( I heard from some people I taked with that the dogs were out in force near the NW corner) You could see the schools of bait swim under your kayak. I threw the iron for a while, but conceded that there was no one under the bait. One odd thing i noticed was how fast the schools of bait were moving. I've got a Hobie Revo with turbo fins, and was having trouble at times keeping up with the schools. By the time you got the Anchovies off your hooks, the school would be 100 feet away. - just something i noticed...

I didn't get any Halibut, but I did get a big copper rock fish. (kinda strange to catch one of them on the sand flats isn't it?) Once the fog burnt off the weather was really nice.
When I landed I did see one person with a . Congrats to that guy!

Here are some pics...

The size of the surf... reminds you of North Shore, HI doesn't it?

Some other guys at the launch...

If you look closely you can kind of see the beach. that gives you an idea of the fog.

Thats only half of the bait I caught

A little bit of bait on the screen

The fog finally burned off a bit, and made for really nice conditions.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Vikingj

Nice report and helpful for planning. I'm going out tomorrow and was wondering about the fog. Thanks for the heads up and pics.

Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote