Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
bigbarrels

Rancho Leonero

Just returned from a 6 day fishing trip at Rancho Leonero. Great weather (except for 1 day), great resort with good food and customer service. Each day I fished on a cabin cruiser or super panga in the morning and then kayak fished in front of the resort in the afternoon. On the boats I caught some nice yellowfin tuna, dorado, ladyfish, sierra, trigger fish, needlefish, humbolt squid, and others. Kayak fishing is what I love to do and was the best part of the trip for me. I caught and released around 12 Dorado and harvested 3 others. Here are some pics from my trip

Catch and Release Dorado

Better than the Hyatt

Gotta watch out for the locals!

Sweet peddle back in( loved the hobie outback-the revolution about sank on me and thankfully I had a bottle to bale out the kayak)

This shot pretty much summarizes my experience at Rancho Leonero

Video coming soon..no time to edit but made video of every Dorado I caught off the kayak with the Go Pro camera

Amazing place! Returned with a cooler that weighed in at 49.20 lbs and full of fillets from Dorado, Yellow Fin Tuna, Red Snapper, Pargo and Triggerfish (ceviche)

Last edited by bigbarrels; 09-30-2009 at 04:45 PM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
kurt

Nice! Who was sitting on top of your head taking photos?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
B Slate

Hey Tom that looks like a pretty cool trip. You will be eatin good for a while.
The Ranch looks pretty sweet. Good food, good sleep and lots of pulling on big tasty fish.
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
ship 4 brains

Tom -
What a great trip. Did you go down solo?

I have been in April. The trip was great, but the fishing was just OK. I am really considering a trip next Sept/October.
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
bigbarrels

Kurt: you can hire photographers on the beach down there and you just strap them to your head....works pretty good but makes for a sore neck

Brandon: go check it out in the future...you would really like that place! Congrats on the YT's!

Jeff: I went down with a good friend and his parents who stayed for 4 of the days. We fished on the cruisers with his parents for two days and then the super pangas for 3 days. September and Oct is a really good time to go down there. I was thinking on doing a 2 week drive down trip next Oct (camp/hotel/house rental/resort)
Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
'Cuda

Great pics and congratulations on the dorado......what's the drive to Leonero.....16hrs from the border?
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
bigbarrels

Cuda,

I flew down on this trip due to time constraints and a free flight but I would guess the drive down there would be at least 24 hours....my trips in the past to San Nicholas would take about 20 hours..I'm hoping to drive down next Oct and Kayak fish Los Frailes for the YFT