Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Can you feel it?

That change in the air, cool nights. Fall has arrived. Most of the country get's to experience the full brunt of each season, but in Southern California you never know. We could get that gradual cooling effect or the slap in the face of a major Winter storm. The good news is we survived the circus of the summer beach launch. As fun as it is to watch, functional Yes, clusterfu@& yes, I look forward to Labor Day each year as the beginning of the end...Summer crowds no more!

There's something special about those cool weather days when you've got "The Jewel" to yourself. We all love the wide-open days of summer, but those days when you search high and low to catch that trophy on your last spot of the day...those are the days I remember with a big smile on my face. Maybe that's just me.

There might be more fish around in the warmer months, but without a doubt I know which seasons I prefer. Some guys are sending in their reels to be serviced as we speak. Preparing them for proper burial on garage shelves until the fishing reports point to a "sure thing". For some that hibernation period is briefly interrupted for a couple days each Winter. I know plenty who have no desire to fish this Winter (work hard for fish...no way!), unless if, and only if they get a whiff of a loose lipped squid bite. Most all major squid bites get leaked, but the question is when. More and more I'm impressed by how long it takes for two people to tell two people. And if the bite isn't leaked for the first couple days, well, I'll just say I think it's great for the fishery.

Ahh, the days of hunting the elusive, larger/smarter fish, without a soul in sight. That's what it's all about!

On this day in particular, the air gave me the first tingle of what's to come. A cool morning with a crisp clear sky. By the time I had breakfast, the clouds pushed in with a slight Southerly breaze. I was even warned at the launch of a potential high wind warning by a fellow angler and told by a few that it was absolutely dead out there. My first thought: where's out there? I don't want to go there .

By the time I was making bait it began to sprinkle with dark clouds on the horizon. As expected, I arrived to an empty playground with a couple friends in the distance. The dogs made their routine rounds, the Bonita slammed the surface-iron on most every cast, and I found a fish that pulled a little harder than your average schoolie.

Did I mention that this will be the last season we fish La Jolla? I firmly believe we're going to be flushed down the drain, especially if, every man, woman, and child doesn't go to the next meeting. Reguardless of whatever hokey-pokey maps they've drawn up, I trust a powerboat running over my trolliing lines more than the Blue Ribbon Task Force. This is your last chance to speak up for La Jolla or lose it forever!

This is it!

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 10-04-2009 at 03:32 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
bellcon

Sweet Josh
Waders start to mean more than just sun protection

Nice Fish
and cool pic

Quote:
Did I mention that this will be the last season we fish La Jolla? I firmly believe we're going to be flushed down the drain, if, and only if, every man, woman, and child doesn't go to the next meeting. Reguardless of whatever hokey-pokey maps they've drawn up, I trust a powerboat running over my trolliing lines more than the Blue Ribbon Task Force. This is your last chance to speak up for La Jolla or lose it forever!

This is it!
Now that deserves repeating!!
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Stoneale
Banned

Nice fish.. I wish I could go to the last meeting, but I will be in Kaui on a trip.
Stoneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Tandem Assassin

You know it's close to being over when Josh shows a background in one of his pictures!
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Billy V

Depressing, but probably True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

Did I mention that this will be the last season we fish La Jolla? I firmly believe we're going to be flushed down the drain, especially if, every man, woman, and child doesn't go to the next meeting. Reguardless of whatever hokey-pokey maps they've drawn up, I trust a powerboat running over my trolliing lines more than the Blue Ribbon Task Force. This is your last chance to speak up for La Jolla or lose it forever!

This is it!
I've never seen such a somber, depressing post.
The black cloud hanging over your head is the ominous reality of what we all face.
-The Death of the Kayak Fisherman

-Listen up here guys!
This is the Last Stand -- No Matter where you hail from you must show up and fight the good fight.
That is done by packing this meeting with bodies, and choosing the poison we will have to live with.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
NextBite

well said Josh!
nice
Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Don't forget about this meeting Wednesday!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=6076

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 10-05-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
kurt

Quote:
Don't forget about this meeting Thursday!
I think you mean Wednesday, according to the link. I wish I could make this one, so hopefully someone new can step in for me.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I think you mean Wednesday, according to the link. I wish I could make this one, so hopefully someone new can step in for me.

SH*T, I have been messing up dates lately! Fixed above, thanks Kurt!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
kurtfish

MLPA Map 2 Should be supported

Josh, It was great to be out on such a beautiful afternoon on Friday. My fish weighed in at 18.1 on a certified scale 20 hours later. Your optimistic scale comment was right on the money unless the guy posting form Wednesday was a 7' 5" giant with a matching kayak.

Map 2 looks pretty good for LJ not too good for Del Mar or Sunset Cliffs but according the public comment guidelines we need to make specific reference to the current proposals. I still think we need to unite the diverse sport and commercial fishing interests to fight the MLPA process in court in the future. However, it seems that we need to try to get our hands around the idea that we should try to get the least restrictive proposal pushed forward. I am contacting Donna Frye's office to suggest she support Map 2 at the Oct. 7th City Council Meeting at 2pm.

Supporting Map 2 does not endorse the MLPA process and it should not limit our ability to fight this onesided implimentation in court in the future. Attendence at the 2pm Oct. 7th City Council Meeting and the Oct. 21st MLPA meeting at the Long Beach Hilton with piblic commentary at 1:30 and 7 pm is our last chance to try to influence this macro Childrens Pool environmental restriction process.

See you at there on Friday pm? Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
j mo

Axiom for the ages

"when government is on the march, freedom is on the retreat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Did I mention that this will be the last season we fish La Jolla?
I hope you are wrong my friend.....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
robmandel

I am in envy of your success on the water. but your parting words are a somber reminder.

we really have to ask, what kind of country do we live in when we are under assault of basic liberties such as fishing. I fear that dark cloud on the horizon portends of awful things coming.

this process sickens me to the core. the anger and rage is not simply "gee, I can't fish there" but in recognizing that we no longer are a republic but are living ever more and more under a tyrannical and oppressive government. call me extreme, but what else wold you call it?

that we have to fight as we have done, that it is assumed that the government can do this to us and that we have to plead in some medieval star chamber for basic freedoms, leaves one feeling depressed at the least.

folks, we're not fighting just to keep our fishing grounds open, we're fighting to maintain the belief that we are a free people, that our actions are our own, that the limits imposed on each of us extend only to the degree that we cause no pain or injury or loss to another.

see y'all on the 21st. and somebody better take my speaker card from me because if I get to the podium, bet your ass I ain't gonna be too pleasant.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
NextBite

everyone needs to show up for this event its important for all areas

YES ON 2!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
Bryantfish

when is the next meeting in North San Diego? carlsbad? oceanside? Del mar? i can make it to those.
Bryantfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantfish View Post
when is the next meeting in North San Diego? carlsbad? oceanside? Del mar? i can make it to those.
Long Beach is the Last Meeting.
There are No More MLPA Meetings after that one. Its the Last Stand, and they will decide what will be Closed to Fishing Forever.

If you want to make a difference you will have to show up at Long Beach and battle it out with the rest of us.

Last edited by Billy V; 10-06-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote