Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
fishinkid2010

Mission Bay Lobster Diving... bust

My friend and I went to Mission Bay to attempt to free dive for Lobster. Our original plan was to paddle around the channel to the North side of the jetty wall. Well, conditions were not conducive. I'm not sure if they issued a small craft advisory, but they certainly sure should have.
If you're headed out that way in your kayak be careful and wear a lifejacket.

Water visibility was around 12 feet in the bay (Mariners Basin and surrounding area). The water was a bit chilly but manageable with a wet-suit. We only saw one lobster, which dashed back into the rocks before I could grab him. Needless to say, we ended up with zero. There was however a TON of bait in the water swimming around us, and I saw about a 3 lbs Spottie swim by. There was also a lot of perch and purple sea urchins.

In hopes that the weather had died down while we were in the water, we packed up out kayaks and headed over to the beach side after a few hours. It was quite the opposite. We walked out on the jetty right as chaos unfolded.

1. A small skiff; about a 16 foot Boston Whaler type boat with a small outboard had capsized and the driver was in the water. He eventually was rescued by the lifeguards.
2. A small 12 foot sail boat, (similar to a laser or sabot) was wrecked and washed up on the rocks.
3. A man was sailing his 14 foot sail boat and capsized. His boat was torn apart by the rocks, and finally got stuck. He was washed up on the rocks and must have gotten hurt, because the lifeguards couldn't get him by boat. A helicopter air lifted him out.

There was several life guard boats helping the people in trouble, two hard hull lifeguards boats, an inflatable coast guard boat, two lifeguard jet skis, a coat guard cutter, and a helicopter all involved.

Some of the pictures are low quality since the zoom on my camera is kinda lousy, but you can tell how rough it was.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks goodness for the lifeguards and the Coast Guard. I hope the guy was alright and that his boat is repairable.
If anybody heard more about what happened please chime in.

fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

May not have gotten any lobsters but that is a ton of action!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Siebler

I heard that all the lost boats were from the Aquatics Center and that there was a Small Craft Advisory. Total loss was 3 Sailboats and the Whaler.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Willy

My buddy and I tried to go out the mouth of the jetty last night and we turned around quickly.
The current was ripping in, and we lost a hoopnet just beacuse the current laid the bouy underwater (one of the small bouys).
That sounds like quite an adventure you boys had out there.
Glad you made it back safely.
Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
fishinkid2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
I heard that all the lost boats were from the Aquatics Center and that there was a Small Craft Advisory. Total loss was 3 Sailboats and the Whaler.
Thats good that they at least issued a warning... Not that many people would care what those two red pennants on the lifeguard station's flag pole mean anyways. I saw several people still attempt to make it out the channel just to turn back around.

I wonder if the Aquatic Center wants their broken boats back from the rocks? haha... hmmm just imagine, I could tow one of the busted sailboats back with my Hobie, fix it up with a lot epoxy and fiberglass and wha'la I've got a whole new fishing set up! Put a couple of rod holders on either side of the tiller and a bait tank in front of the mast and I'm ready to sail in style.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

was out sat night in sd bay hoopn w/my buddy in a small skiff had to rescue a guy & tow him back to the dock got the prop wrapped in the anchor line his boat was playing teeter totter on the jetty oh yeah ton of shorts
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote