Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #21
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gflann View Post
Here’s a reference for losing a rod and reel overboard coming back in. The only one I forgot to tie down...had to swim back out and get it. Opened it up and it looked like a sugar cookie.

Food for thought. When you come back in on a bigger surf day if you dont get a ride all the way in and get out in knee-waist deep water I’d recommend hauling the kayak in as fast as possible because a whitewash wave can easily go over the back of your kayak and douse your reels. Had that happen once and took apart my Jigmasters and SL30SHs and it was evident a decent amount of saltwater got in.

Now no matter how tired I am, I dont celebrate surviving the launch until the kayak’s bow is on the beach.
Damn dude, that sucks! At least you got the reel back, but still... Not something you like to see. Sound advice.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #22
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
Thats what we call a good day in Oregon. I sure do miss the SoCal ankle slappers.
Lol yeah man, I just came back from a trip up North and it seems like the waves grow a foot in size every 100-miles up on a NW swell. Much respect to anyone launching a kayak up there. You guys are gnarly!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #23
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Glad you made it out without event. Good to see all the rods lashed horizontally just in case. Do you ever pre-rig the mirage drive ready to use, hooked flush to the hull with the bungie? The method employs scissor kicking in shallow until deep enough for full peddle strokes. My paddle is broken down and stored for emergency use in case the mirage fails. Do any West Coaster's use that method, if not what is the reason?
Yea thats how I launched my outback. I would throw the drive in and use the bungee around one of the cranks which would pin the fins, then walk out to about waist deep, pick my spot, jump in and pedal like a mad man while using the rudder in the right hand.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #24
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Glad you made it out without event. Good to see all the rods lashed horizontally just in case. Do you ever pre-rig the mirage drive ready to use, hooked flush to the hull with the bungie? The method employs scissor kicking in shallow until deep enough for full peddle strokes. My paddle is broken down and stored for emergency use in case the mirage fails. Do any West Coaster's use that method, if not what is the reason?
That's the way I always launched my Hobie Revo 13 when I still owned it for 4 1/2 years. I've always told people there is a lot more power and speed using the mirage drive and your legs to get the hell out of the kill zone going out and coming in. Also you can't loose your drive in the surf if it's locked in place besides having a leash on it.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:15 AM   #25
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
And I've never personally used that method for 2 reasons. 1- I want to keep as much sand and sandy water out of the drive as possible. and 2- when I eventually do screw up a launch at some point(because it's bound to happen some day) I'd prefer not to have the drive exposed if the kayak is rolling away in shallow water.
I have been launching via the mirage drive(no paddle) for 6 years and sand has never been an issue for me. Unlike a fishing reel, that gets gridlocked quickly. The mirage can just be dunked a few times in cleaner water, exercised a couple of strokes and it's good to go. If sand were a concern, I don't think Hobie would have the youtube video promoting this method of launching.

I have bent my fair share of masts, but with kickup fins, that issue has yet to occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Yea thats how I launched my outback. I would throw the drive in and use the bungee around one of the cranks which would pin the fins, then walk out to about waist deep, pick my spot, jump in and pedal like a mad man while using the rudder in the right hand.
That's my method, but I try to jump in before waste deep. Always a plus to make it out without getting the personals wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
That's the way I always launched my Hobie Revo 13 when I still owned it for 4 1/2 years. I've always told people there is a lot more power and speed using the mirage drive and your legs to get the hell out of the kill zone going out and coming in. Also you can't loose your drive in the surf if it's locked in place besides having a leash on it.
Totally agree. Mine is always leashed for the inbound transit, and gets pulled out when the depth gets too shallow to avoid bending a mast. Even if one bungies the masts flush to the hull, I have at times bent a mast.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #26
Jimm H

Keep paddling thru the swell

See that a lot... raising the paddle over one's head while nosing thru the swells. It's a natural reaction, like you need to keep the paddle dry.

Best to dig into the water and keep paddling. You will punch thru the larger stuff that way as your body motion will be forward reaching for the next stroke.

GREAT Video!! Reminds me of lots of early am launches over the years.