Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
CheapPelican

Rudder Install

I'm thinking of installing the stock original foot pegs below the rudder controls so that I can brace my heals against them. Has this been done before?

Also, the Vectran line that comes with the kit is not long enough to rig both sides. I'm headed to westmarine in the morning to see if the have any in stock. Are there any alternatives that are more readily available? Must be abrasion/UV resistant and low stretch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0414.jpg (42.2 KB, 138 views)
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
I'm thinking of installing the stock original foot pegs below the rudder controls so that I can brace my heals against them. Has this been done before?

Also, the Vectran line that comes with the kit is not long enough to rig both sides. I'm headed to westmarine in the morning to see if the have any in stock. Are there any alternatives that are more readily available? Must be abrasion/UV resistant and low stretch.
I like the idea but I don't like the idea it doesn't look good. Make sure you put marine glue so the water doesn't drip thrOugh the holes

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
CheapPelican

The manufacturer got ahold of me and is sending extra line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I like the idea but I don't like the idea it doesn't look good...
Eye of the beholder.

Has anybody tried the dual foot brace thing before?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I have not but I think its a great idea. I know the feeling of driving a car where your foot is on peddle but doesn't touch floorboard drives me nuts. I haven't installed a rudder yet but I can imagine it feeling the same way
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
... I know the feeling of driving a car where your foot is on peddle but doesn't touch floorboard drives me nuts...
My thoughts exactly. I've also read that some people are uneasy about bracing against their rudder controls and stressing the rigging all the time.

I got some input on, another board, basically saying that I may have to push the foot controls farther than my ankle can pivot. I'm gonna get some time on the water with my new rudder and see how much it will take to swing the it from lock to lock.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
sixgunn
Junior

if ya gotta go hard over, how hard is it to slide yer heal off the bottom peg? Most times you're probably just making small corrections or gradual turns anyway. I'm just a newb, & don't even have a rudder, but it doesn't sound like a problem to me, & I'd probably do it, if I could.
sixgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

There are other rudders out there that act in that manner, pivoting off your heal, so it should work well.

Tags
foot pegs, rudder, vectran