Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
ctfphoto

Stupid newbie question.

Can you fish (with a pole) for sculpin / halibut while lobster hoop netting? I know you can't catch lobster on the pole or fish in the nets but it sure seems like a great way to pass the time while the nets are soaking and I need to be doing something, like not pulling my nets early.

I have seen people doing it and heard some talking about it so I guess it's ok. I looked around on the DFG website and could find the two talked about together. I did ask the DFG that stopped me sat night about sculpin in the net and he said no. Wish I had asked about fishing while netting.

TIA, Chris

Last edited by ctfphoto; 10-04-2011 at 03:10 PM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
MrPatrick

No
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Siebler

I thought you were allowed something like 5 hoops or 3 hoops and a rod? Has it changed? I havnt hooped in so long i dont even look at the regs anymore.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
ctfphoto

Thanks for the responses so far

Here's a second question.

While making room for mackerel in the freezer I found an old turkey that my wife says is too old and won't cook. I know some use of you use chicken in lobster hoops but would turkey work as well. I was actually planning on using it for filler and mix it with mackerel to make the mack go farther. Your thoughts?
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Answer for Question #2

When bugging, most any kind of bait will work... to an extent... There are really only two criteria you need to have:

1) The smell... Lobsters like to "smell" their food and that is what attracts them into your nets... I have experimented with many different baits and the more oil and "fluids" that bait emanates the better. I like to use oily fish like mackerel, salmon, and barracuda left over from earlier in the year.
2) The second goal is to keep the lobsters in your net once they arrive there, awaiting your "pull". Lobsters are notoriously non-picky eaters... a day old fish or a year old chicken... it does not seem to matter to them. I consistently pull up bugs that have to be pried off the bait cage as they were not done eating yet...

So if you can make a year old chicken smell good to them then it might just work but I would recommend just catching a bunch of mackerel before it gets dark and stuffing your cages til it is leaking out the sides, take as many macs as you can carry and before you get finished cleaning up after hooping re stuff your cages and throw them into the fish freezer for the next trip, then all you do is zip tie them to your net bottom and toss the net! I also have a friend that runs a meat dept. at a local grocery store and he kicks me down all of his dated salmon which works very well too.

That is my method and it seems to work pretty well for me.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
Deamon

I don't know the law but I had my mackeral rod with me and got checked twice by The Man in one night with no comments about it . 5 hoop nets and a rod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Can you fish (with a pole) for sculpin / halibut while lobster hoop netting?
TIA, Chris
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
grey zone

Its legal to fish with a rod and reel while hoops are soaking.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote