Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
warfrik
Junior

best launch site around pv area

Looking for an easy launch site around rocky point, point fermin, palos verdes area. Hopefully to fish the kelp forest?
Anybody tried heading to point fermin from the cabrillo bay launch? How far is it?
Any info is appreciated.
warfrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
jorluivil

You can launch from Cabrillo but you shouldn't be concerned with distance as much as you should be with the winds. Look at Wednesdays forecast and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/cabrillo_beach

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

biiiig storm a brewin...big wind.....careful out there
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
warfrik
Junior

I wouldn't be heading anytime soon specially with the strong winds. Just want to see my options in the future. Thanks for the advice.
warfrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
bellcon

Easy does not really exist in PV

A few options:
Malaga Cove Ramp down to Rats Beach
Terranea Resorts launch (these waters will be shut down if and when the MLPA gets implemented)
Redondo (Kings Harbor) and the long paddle to PV

There are many access trails in PV, but most are goat trails, steep and difficult to get down with a kayak, let alone come back up.

Trump golf course, Fishermens access (aka cardiac hill), Royal Palms, etc.

The launch from Cabrillo Beach to Point Fermin is a short paddle, beware of shore pounding waves and wind
The Launch from Cabrillo bay to Point Fermin is easy, but a very long paddle, again watch out for the wind

Good Luck
Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Badtaste2k

I've been looking for an easy spot around PV also.

I work over at the Trader Joe's by Pt Vicente so I have been surveying the coast on my lunch breaks. I have walked down Pescadero Trail, The Malaga Cove trail to Rats, A trail down to Bluff Cove, and the Terranea trail to launch. I have to say they all seem like some lengthy walks down, but more importantly back up!

The Pescadero Trail is steep and i couldn't really see dragging the yak back up it alone, not that I haven't thought about it.
The Malaga Cove to Rats and the Terranea launch are by far the easiest to walk, but both very long. Malaga is short I guess if you can launch of the rocks, but I'm not there yet.

I drove down Royal Palms and I can see launching from there if the surf is light. That may be able to shave off about 2.5 miles from the paddle from Cabrillo. I haven't launched from anywhere really except Cabrillo Harbor and Beachside, so i can't really judge difficulty of theses other spots yet, but they are all rocky beaches, not nice cushy sand like Cabrillo! I looked into perhaps launching out of Abalone Cove, but once again it is a long steep walk down. As of now I think I'll stick to launching out of Cabrillo or maybe Rats.

If anyone has suggestions, I would also love to hear them! I don't know how many of you guys are local up here in the south bay yet since I am still new to the board.
If anyone is up Pt Vicente way, fell free to stop by the Trader Joe's in Golden Cove and Say Hi! My name is Dan and I am a supervisor there. 10 hours a day, 5 days a week except W-Th.

Good Luck!

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Far and away the easiest launch is from the south at Cabrillo, If surf came way up you could paddle and land inside the bay. Northern PV will make you work for your dinner!

http://www.watchthewater.org/beach.cfm?bid=17

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Drake

You mean theres more places to fish other than La Jolla?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
GregAndrew

Nope, nothing to see here, move along. There are no fish in PV.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Far and away the easiest launch is from the south at Cabrillo, If surf came way up you could paddle and land inside the bay. Northern PV will make you work for your dinner!

ONE time i caught a few fish from PV, and had to grind my way back up those hills. I was sweating huffin and puffin my back hurt for 2 weeks.

Would i do it again? maybe... LOL

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Striperman1018

never a timely report or hot bite reported here. Must not be any fish. Cabrillo to a lot of PV is a long paddle. The resort isnt bad but your launching and landing on big rocks. Rat beach is cool but the surf isnt very forgiving there. All the other places there are to launch will make you never want to go there again. Long story short, you will have to work your ass off to fish PV. But like I said, there are no fish there....
Striperman1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
Striperman1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

Man ive never seen it that flat there! Why cant it be like that more often?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Your best bet is to go straight south on western.go in the parking lot and launch from there.there's fish there I use to fish there in 93-97 in the summer lots of calico 1 giant croaker.fought the biggest halibut there.good luck it's still about 4 miles one way.
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
jorluivil

Is that really Cabrillo? It doesn't look like it. That doesn't look like Point Fermin.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #15
Striperman1018

looks to be off the top of the lifeguard HQ
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Saba Slayer

No Wonder

"never a timely report or hot bite reported here."
Gee, I wonder why...oh yea...look at La Jolla"s crowds.
No fish at PV..."move along these are not the droids you're looking for"!
Jim / Saba Slayert
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperman1018 View Post
Man ive never seen it that flat there! Why cant it be like that more often?
It's often flat in the morning...

Just watch how far you go because the wind comes up hard in Catalina channel in the afternoon.

Cabrillo is alright if you want to fish northwest up along the coast. I wouldn't recommend it for fishing outside or the shoe unless we have a very stable weather pattern. This time of year I have been caught outside in sea conditions that were just unbelivibaly bad in my skiff while chasing Billfish off Cat right out in front of there. Times where it was everything I could do just to get back in.

Rats beach is not bad if you have the balls for the incline. Pack light with minimal gear and you need a good cart. Like Cabrillo you have to watch the conditions especially surf there but at times it's great.

I usually fish my mini-x there as it's easier to cart up and down the hill, and land in questionable surf.

Rats beach is probably the safest wind wise since it's a easy paddle in as long as you don't go around the point down towards lighthouse.

I also fish PV out of Redondo but it's a long paddle and it's best to leave really early and head in before the wind comes up. Usually the wind angle is alright, but watch for building seas with a hard north wind.

Can be good when the conditions are right, though it's nothing like La Jolla.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #18
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

Is that really Cabrillo? It doesn't look like it. That doesn't look like Point Fermin.
Look at the tree it's obviously point Fermin...
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #19
Badtaste2k

Jim, Have you launched out of Royal Palms? The small rocky inlet just south of the lower parking lot looks like a pretty easy launch as long as you can paddle through the rocks a bit? I was thinking of trying the Palms launch next but still a little unsure.

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote