Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

55 mph for trailers!

Got pulled over heading back to Salt Lake from Santa Barbara. Luckily, my wife was driving and my dog was barking, so he gave us just a warning! Does anyone know if you have to license a trailer in California? We don't in Utah if it is a small trailer. Mine is just a small boat trailer I rigged into a kayak trailer. The officer didn't say anything, but I envision heading back to California to fish again. Thanks to everyone who gave info on fishing Lake Cachuma and Refugio Beach. Had a great time at both, even though I came up empty (I didn't count the 4 sea hares I snagged).

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
senojmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Darkstar

Im not sure on that but i think for CA residents you pay a PTI fee that renews every 5 years, you might want to check with your DMV since you are from another state CA fees likely wouldnt apply.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
grey zone

In California all trailers are registered and recieve permanent trailer plates, annual stickers are not issued. Since your from out of state I assume your states regulations are honored here.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
sixgunn
Junior

Being a Former Commercial Truck Driver, I know California is not the only state that legislated vehicle discrimination & of all the States that have seperate speed limits for "big trucks" & cars, almost all put vehicles towing trailers in the same class as Trucks.
No more than 55mph in Ca. And stay in the right lane, unless passing & never in the 3rd lane, unless otherwise posted.
sixgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
danjor

The whole 55 with a trailer is exactly why I carry my yak on the roof of my truck.
I carried it once on a trailer, the day I bought it. Ended up getting a speeding ticket for going slightly over 55...
Officer said he wouls not have pulled me over except i was carrying a heavy oversized load without a flag... I was towing a 200lbs trailer with a 60lbs bright yellow kayak on it.
Def not a heavy load and why would I need a flipping yellow flag on a yellow kayak.
So screw trailers....
I think officers just like to pull over kayakers. Since iv started kayaking iv been pulled over and had my kayak searched for drugs 5 times on the 15 freeway. I just don't understand why they pull me over to check my kayak....
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

Yikes! Guess I should feel lucky. I did buy flags for each of the 3 kayaks. I was told by a guy at local trailer store that Utah was big on having flags over extended loads. I will have to thank him! I like the trailer because I leave everything on it and hook up and go. But I will have to think again next time heading far.

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
senojmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

I've been pulling trailers in Cal for decades everything from small boats to multi axles with Over-sized loads like the Aluminator....

and I've never been hassled, pulled over, or ticketed.

To be honest in all the road hours I have trailoring back and forth by myself and with friends... We're talking LA south to Shelter, Ensenada, Mulege, North up to Avila, Morro, and Monterrey Bay. I've never once been in a vehicle pulling a trailer that got pulled over harassed or ticketed, on the US side of the border.

PTI plates, keep to the right, the speed limit is 55 but as long as you stay under 65 and slow down when you see the CHP your fine.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

One thing I'll add. Though it's never happened to me I know several guys that got ticketed right after they crossed into Arizona on the 8 on their way trailoring their boats down to Peurto Vallarta. They also like to hold peoples boats until they pay the fine.

It's a well known trap. If you ever are going that direction watch your speed and have everything in order or they will nail you.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote