Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

Trailer help

I finally bought a trailer to haul my 2 kayaks and gear. It is so much easier than trying to get the kayaks on top of my suv, especially after being out on the water all day. It is a small boat trailer that I put my yakima rack on. My only concern is that the trailer seems to bounce around a bit. I have lost a screw-on hatch cover last trip! Is there something that can be done so it doesn't bounce around so much? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
senojmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing the trailer in action. Try reducing the tire air pressure and driving slower. Or you can always add more weight if the trailer payload rating is way-higher than your actual load. There are also ways of reducing the load capacity of your leaf springs if you have them.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
-scallywag-
Banned

lower the air pressure on the trailer tires, 10psi is not too low as long as they are not getting hot....

still not happy?....upgrade to a radial passanger car tires, the sidewalls will be much weeker but it will smooth things out alot...adjusting the tire pressure should do the trick if you go low enough.

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

all good ideas! As far as the leaf springs goes, I assume you mean reducing the load capacity by removing some of the leaf springs?

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

You can try adding some weight to the trailer also. I don't know if that will help also.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
-scallywag-
Banned

don't mess with the leaf springs, until you have messed with the tires...removing leaves is a PIA (you will need new ubolts/centerpins) and doesn't do much for the bouncing unless you add shocks...

I have two 30' gooseneck flatbed trailers that are designed to haul 35k lbs., empty these trailers weigh around 7k and will absolutely rip the truck apart when hauled empty (imagine your trailer bouncing)....unless you lower the trailers tires from 110 to 20-25psi, then it rides smooth.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

here are some pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer 2.jpg (46.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg trailer 3.jpg (48.8 KB, 2514 views)
File Type: jpg trailer 1.jpg (41.9 KB, 114 views)

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
jbaker

i would add some weight. u bolt and big sinkers, lead blocks, ect, but what ever you do make sure its bolted on really well. don't want it falling off on the freeway and taking out a car, (your responsible). might also try heating the springs a little with a rose bud, but this will lower the arc on them and lower the trailer. let us know how it goes
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker View Post
also try heating the springs a little with a rose bud

trailer advise in a kayak fishing forum.....

while I agree, adding weight will smooth things out, you'll need at least 500lbs, probably more like 800.... but what ever you do,

DON'T HEAT UP THE SPRINGS!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
BigBalsa
Junior

If you are heading home from fishing, you could always just weigh down the trailer with your daily limits of WSB, HBT, and YT...

Actually, you might wish to consider mounting the yaks upside down. They tend to get a bit aerodynamic (sorta like a plane's wings) and may actually be "lifting" the trailer at high speeds. Mounted upside down they "may" act in similar fashion to a spoiler.

Just a thought. Good luck.
BigBalsa is offline   Reply With Quote