Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
92yj

la jolla 1st time??????

hey guys i am new to here and was wandering if there is any suggestions on my first trip to la jolla? i have been fishing for a long time and kayaking also, but just recently put them together. i have a ok t15, all ready to go. i am kinda nerves to go out to la jolla and look like a idiot or piss some one off..... i would love some insight in the rules or the local does and don'ts. i would really like to get a guild to go out but right now the money is a little tight. if there is any suggestions you can give a newbie it would be awesome.......i am ready to get out of Newport's harbor and shore line. thanks for any help.
92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
wmbeusch
Wild Man John

Send a message via Yahoo to wmbeusch
And where were you last weekend? We went out last weekend as 1st timers. just go for it. the locals will help if you need it as thay did for me. have fun out there Newbe.
wmbeusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
92yj

lol i was in la mirada having a party for my daughter's 6Th birth day. lol i am going down there on 5-1-10 so if your in lets go.

Last edited by 92yj; 04-22-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92yj View Post
lol i was in la mirada having a party for my daughter's 6Th birth day. lol i am going down there on 4-1-10 so if your in lets go.
I think you mean May 1st and not April 1st correct?

Just be safe out there. Maybe you can hook up with someone that is launching at the same time and hang with them. Make sure you have all your safety equipment before leaving land (read Bigbarrels post). Strap down all your gear so you won't lose any of it. I lost my gaft, a knife and also killed a camera (even though it was in a bag it got water in it). It's also a good idea to know your limitations out there. Even though the surf last Saturday was only 1-2 with a few 3 footers, I took 2 waves to the chest on the way out and landing was a little wet for me as I rolled it just before the shore.

I'm planning on practicing launching and landing (without all my fishing gear) a few more times before I get back out (most likely weekends).
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
GregAndrew

If this is gonna be one of your first surf launches, I recommend using the Rod Pod on your T15 for your rods on launch and landing (especially landing). There are always other folks on the beach launching, so do yourself a favor and clue at least one of them in on you lack of experience. Most of them will spot you on your launch. By all means, time the surf. There are almost always lulls on a regular basis that allow for easier entry and exit. On the launch, commit to it and keep paddling directly into the waves. Don't stop for anything until you are safely past the surf line. On the landing, with the T15, you should straddle the yak with your feet in the water (makes the yak much more stable). I am no expert, but I am fresh off the learning curve. Good luck, and don't catch any of my fish!
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamonster View Post
If you don't live here, don't fish here. JK
I didn't know Camarillo was in LJ.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I don't believe you will be attacked by anyone if you ask us for some help getting you launched. The biggest part is time your launch between wave sets. Have the paddle in one hand and your kayak pointed into the surf with the other. If you are not comfortable with the time, watch a few guys go first. I do like to get splashed a bit at the launch. Kind of wakes my a$$ up for the paddle out. I think the return can be more tricky than the launch. I would recommend looking at Jim Sammons video on youtube for some great techniques on the surf return.

Any how, just ask one of us, or watch what's going on.

Have a great time fishing.

Last edited by sandydiego; 04-22-2010 at 12:55 PM.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
92yj

cool guys, thanks so much for the info.......what about the parking,and launching? i feel really comfortable with launching in waves. i remember my first time kayaking was in sanpedro beach, i got free lessens for a gift. the guy that was teaching the lessons put us in to the waves for our first lesson. lol....... it was a lot of fun. well thanks for all of the help guys.... i will be down there on 5-1-10.....oh what time can i get in to the water there? do they have a certain time that i can go out?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Whizz Bang

ok

Despite the spelling errors, I'll bite.... google is your friend...BWE is your friend.....you can do your own research, or you can ask questions and try and reinvent the wheel. I started out new to everything and read and searched, read and searched. Any questions you have as a newb.....have been asked and answered. I launched my kayak for the first time in LJ, never really fished anywhere else and have never looked back. My advice, read the articles, make sure you know where you can start fishing, and learn it your way. Beginners luck will surely raise its ugly head and we will all quietly hate you.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote