Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
momo fish

CIH - WSB retagging event 2/23 - 2-24

Hi..

The Channel Island Harbor pens will retagging the the fish and looking for anyone wanting to help or just come out and watch and see the work being done to help the fishery. I know most are not local to Ventura but if any interest let me know and will add you to email blast. Thanks

Some additional info::

""We have tentatively set the retagging at CIH for Monday (Feb 23)- Tuesday (Feb24). I will let you know immediately if there is any change in plan. The plan is to arrive the first day at around 12:30pm, setup and finish one pen by the end of the day. We will be using the Vaki and the super sluice, we will just have a divider in the Vaki, that will stop the fish from going all the way through. Fish will then be scan for the tag and then drop on the other side of the divider to be counted by the IR counter. I believe the rate will be pretty slow, considering each fish has to be handled by hand. I would anticipate a rate of no higher than 1000 fish per hour. With an hour to setup and split the net, volunteers should expect to be there both days for at least 5 hours. Again, we don’t need a lot of people netting, so if you want to schedule shifts, that might be better for everyone. We will need a few more hands to setup and split the net, at the beginning of each day, but after that 2 or 3 volunteers should be fine. The second day we should get started say around 8:30am and it will probably go a little faster (because everyone is more aware of the procedure from the day before), but we should still plan on worst case scenario of 5 hours.
On another note, after doing the weights on your fish on Wednesday, they have an average weight of 40.67 grams. Considering a 2% feed rate, we should shoot for 9 Liters per day. Again, play this one by ear and if they won’t eat that much, shoot for as close as you can get. Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments about anything I have proposed.

Thank You,
Derrick Miranda
GFC HSWRI""
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
cesar74

Hey momo I am available to help out Tuesday morning if you guys still need volunteers.
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote